7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2013 7:17 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Won't Open

Cjt7

I can't open premiere. I get message"There is no disc in the drive. Please insert disk into drive/Device/Harddisk4/DR16" I don't want to uninstall because I can't even get in to deactivate my serial number so I can reinstall it.

I am using Premiere Elements 9 on Windows 7.

• 1. Re: Premiere Won't Open
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Cjt7

It sounds like a bad uninstall or reinstall some where along the line.

Can we assume that this is a "it worked before but not now" type of problem? If so, when did it work last and do you remember what program(s) you may have been uninstalling or reinstalling unsuccessfully at the time?

Are you dealing with one or more computer, especially when you mention deactivate. It has been my experience that Adobe Chat can be helpful with Activation Deactivation even when the Premiere Elements version is not the current version.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Won't Open
            Cjt7 Level 1

It has worked before and I can't remember when last was I used it but it has been months. I don't work with video often usually just use elements for photos. I just wanted to uninstall it on this one computer and then reinstall it on the same computer. Do I have to deactivate in order to reinstall?

• 3. Re: Premiere Won't Open
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Cjt7

Deactivation because more important if you are going from one computer to another since Adobe allows for you to have your purchased serial number on no more than 2 of your computers.

For a long time I would just uninstall/reinstall without Deactivation if I was uninstalling/reinstalling on that one computer. All worked fine. Lately I have gotten in the habit of Deactivating even in that case. But, I do not believe it necessary when troubleshooting the one computer.

Bottom line: in what I have seen and done, deactivation was not necessary for the uninstall/reinstall on the same computer.

You can double check with Adobe Chat who does an excellent job coming to the rescue in situtions such as these.

Please let us know the outcome.

It is my impression that your problem was caused by an incomplete installation or uninstall of a computer program.or a drive issue. Have you made any changes in your drives setup since the last time that you used Premiere Elements and it worked?

What you might want to try is the deletion of the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file...a remedy for unexplained events. It is a long shot, but worth a try to rule it in or out. The path to the file is:

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

App Data

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 9.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete.

Make sure that you are working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives On so that you can see the path to the file.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Won't Open
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Cjt7

Just some after thoughts for post #3.

Do you have any external hard drives as part of your system? If so, have any changed drive letters or have you shifted media from one drive to another?

Can you trace

drive/Device/Harddisk4/DR16"

to an actual drive that you have or had on your computer?

ATR

• 5. Re: Premiere Won't Open
                  Cjt7 Level 1

Thank you for your responses. I contacted Adobe chat last night and got it so I can uninstall and reinstall on this computer. I do use an external hard drive to save pictures and slideshows, etc on. I did delete a bunch of stuff about a month ago and I probably think I know more than I do and could very well have deleted something I should not have. I haven't uninstalled yet so if I have time, I might try to delete the Prefs file and see what happens. Thanks again!!

• 6. Re: Premiere Won't Open
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Cjt7

Thank for the update. Sounds like you are making progress. We will be watching for further developments.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Won't Open
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

If you have Assets for your PrE Project stored on an external HDD, I would first set the drive letter (if you are on a PC) to a set drive letter in your computer's OS. Then, everytime that you plug in, or turn on that external HDD, it will always appear with the same drive letter.

PrE does not actually Import Assets into a Project, but instead creates links, that are absolute Paths, TO those Assets. If, for instance, the external is seen by the OS as say E:\ one day, but as F:\ the next, then the absolute Path links are broken.

This article goes into more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4542396#4542396

Also, some users have experienced similar error message, if they did not have SmartSound's Sonicfire Pro plug-in installed. The installer for PrE looks for the SmartSound plug-in's installer, and will usually default to the drive letter for the multi-drive, in hopes of finding the module that is required. In most of THOSE cases, just properly installing the SmartSound Sonicfire Pro plug-in module, fixes that error message. Do you have SmartSound's Sonicfire Pro properly installed?

Good luck,

Hunt