5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2013 2:30 AM by Peter Spier

Files refuse to save . . .

familybookhouse@aol.com

Why won't my CS2 file save (in CS2 format)? Must I convert it to CS6?

I'm a writer/editor, and I'm holding up the print date on a book because I can't get my proofing fixes to save. This is a serious problem that is affecting my business and leaving me with a not-so-happy author.   Linda

• 1. Re: Files refuse to save . . .
          Ken G. Rice Adobe Employee

I assume you are talking about InDesign but please confirm the program being used and the version of the program. I am assuming your customer has CS2 based on needing to save to this version.

• 2. Re: Files refuse to save . . .
            familybookhouse@aol.com Level 1

Yes, I'm speaking of InDesign CS2, which I purchased some years ago. Because the original MS Word file had been imported into ID2, I chose not to create an ID6 version at this last stage of preparing the print copy. Maybe this was a wrong choice -- I'm a bit of a neophyte here. Can the existence of both versions on my hard drive interfere with the saving of CS2 files?

• 3. Re: Files refuse to save . . .
              Ken G. Rice Adobe Employee

Moved from the Creative Cloud to the InDesign forum. They will be able to help you here.

• 4. Re: Files refuse to save . . .
                familybookhouse@aol.com Level 1

Thank you, Ken. 

• 5. Re: Files refuse to save . . .
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Once you start working on your file in CS6 it is automatically converted to CS6 format (and ID will append Converted to the file name to prevent accidental overwriting of the old version) and can only be saved as CS6 .indd (openable in CS6 or later) or .idml (openable in CS4 or later). Any text you touch in the converted file is likely to reflow as it recomposes using the newer text engine, and there is some chance that a CS2 file directly converted will have other problems as well that could later cause crashing or a filure to output correctly, so you're better off not to convert directly. Instead, if you really intend to move the project to CS6, you should export from CS2 to .inx and open that in CS6 for a more trouble-free conversion.

It sounds, though, like you want to continue to work in CS2. As long as both versions are installed you can continue to open your CS2 files in CS2 (by opening the program first, then chossing File > Open...) and edit and save them there. If you have already converted the file to CS6 by opening it in the new version and saving with the same name, however, there is no going back.