2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2013 12:11 PM by peter minneapolis

Adobe InDesign Styles

Dave_DM

Hi i have a question related to InDesign styles.

I have a document with 100 pages, every 10 pages the colour scheme changes, gradients, background element colours, box corners (rounded and straight), fonts etc and i was wondering would object styles work and save time or is it quicker having a separate document for each 10 pages and just delete and replace the colours in the swatch library with the next colour?

There will be an on going amount of pages as i am building up a template library and there will be more colours and combinations to be added so i want to set the document up right from the start to save time in the long run.

Any advice would be greatefully recieved.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Adobe InDesign Styles
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I had to do the same once. I was creating a catalogue. After each chapter the colour scheme changed.

1. First I set up all documents identically with colors and styles. But I renamed my colors like "Background Color", "Headline Color".
          2. I put all files together in a book.
          3. In synchronizing options I deactivated the color swatches.
          4. In each chapter (document) I redefined the specific colors only.

Other approach would be to set up a base style for each style and make childs where only the color is changed. If you need to make changes valid for all styles of a type you need to do it in the bases, their children will inherit all properties.

• 2. Re: Adobe InDesign Styles
            peter minneapolis Level 4

This was discussed recently on the forum. Search Google for "InDesign styles used script" without quotes.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Dave_DM wrote:

Hi i have a question related to InDesign styles.

I have a document with 100 pages, every 10 pages the colour scheme changes, gradients, background element colours, box corners (rounded and straight), fonts etc and i was wondering would object styles work and save time or is it quicker having a separate document for each 10 pages and just delete and replace the colours in the swatch library with the next colour?

There will be an on going amount of pages as i am building up a template library and there will be more colours and combinations to be added so i want to set the document up right from the start to save time in the long run.

Any advice would be greatefully recieved.

Thanks