6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2013 8:02 PM by A.T. Romano

Import copied project

A_Gardeback Level 1

Hi,

I am moving a project from one computer to the other. I have Premiere Elements 11 on both computers. From the first one I did a Project Archive, and chose Copy. Can I import this project on the new computer in just one click?

BR

A

• 1. Re: Import copied project
          A.T. Romano Level 7

A_GardebacK

We are assuming that this is a Windows to Windows computer sitution.

You transfer the entire Copied Folder from the Premiere Elements 11 Project Archiver feature to a USB Flash Drive.

Then you take that USB Flash Drive to the second computer with Premiere Elements 11. There you right click the project.prel in the Copied Folder, select Open With and then Premiere Elements 11. I guess you could just double click the project.prel instead of going the Open With route, but, if you have more than one version of Premiere Elements on the second computer, I would suggest the Open With to get a specific Open With.

Does that work for you?

ATR

• 2. Re: Import copied project
            A_Gardeback Level 1

Thanks for a fast respons.

I did all the steps you have listed above, but when I open the project file, Premiere asks me for the specific location of each asset, and that it what I want to avoid. I want Premiere to find the files by it seld. To make things worse, I have movies and pictures with the same name, but in different folders, and therefore I can't point out a single folder. I thought this would be resolved if I used the Project Archiver, as it creates it's own file structure.

After I have done your steps above, what should I do? And yes, this is in a Windows environment.

A

• 3. Re: Import copied project
              A.T. Romano Level 7

A

If asked, you should be able to point to the source media specifically in the Copied Folder. So right now I am not seeing that there is a problem even with duplicate elsewhere.

I have not run through this process recently, but I do not recall opening the project.prel in the second computer with no problem with source media recognition.

Within an hour or two or sooner, I will do a run through on this between my Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 7 64 bit and my Premiere Elements 11 on Windows 8 64 bit.

Coming soon.

ATR

• 4. Re: Import copied project
                A.T. Romano Level 7

A

Just did a run through where the project that I created in Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit had numerous photos and one video in a project that I archived with Project Archiver Copy Option.

Copied Folder was transferred to USB 2.0 Flash Drive which subsequently inserted in a USB 3.0 port of the Windows 8 64 bit computer. From the USB Flash Drive in Computer, I opened the Copied Folder, right clicked the project.prel, and Premiere Elements 11 opened without any glitches...source media in Project Assets and on the Timeline and no missing media messages or Media Offline displays.

Full disclosure....It was not as easy as all that since my problem was getting Premiere Elements 11 to open instead of 10. I have versions 10 and 11 on Windows 8 64 bit and that computer insisted on Opening With version 10 instead of 11. I finally got the .prel associated with version 11. As an aside, everything from the Copied Folder opened without problems in version 10 before I changed the Opened With to version 11.

Please review your steps to see if we can determine why we are not getting the same outcome. Again, even if you are asked for a file location and there are duplicated files in your computer, I do not see any problem in you pointing the program to the Copied Folder to get the file in place in the project. You should not have to do that, but it would get the job done if you were in a time crunch.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Import copied project
                  A_Gardeback Level 1

Went through the project and started pointing out different assets, all movie clips with in this file structure (see picture) that was created, when I did the Project Archive. In all I needed to point out maybe 15 - 20 movies, and all the other assets came in the right place. So it seems to worked well. The first time when I saw I was going to point out the assets I thought I was going to point out all 253, there fore my initial question.

Thanks for your help, and the time you spent.

BR

A

Hawaii structure.jpg

• 6. Re: Import copied project
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

A_Gardeback

The size of the project may have influenced what you ran into? The Copied folder looks "large". I never archived a project that size. Is there a project.prel in there somewhere? I do not see it.

Did all the media in the Project Assets go into the Timeline? And, if not, do you really need what was import but left unused from Project Assets. If so, you might consider the Archive option ("Trimmed...Folder") which gives you just the media that went into the Timeline. But, if all is going well, we be abide my the old expression of not messing with a good thing.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR