6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2013 5:27 PM by MD Optofonik

Automated assembly edit???

MD Optofonik Level 1

Is there a way to have all clips in your project bin automatically checkerboarded utilizing user defined default presets?

Thanks as always.

• 1. Re: Automated assembly edit???
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Have you tried 'Automate to Sequence'? Select your clips in the project panel and then click on the Automate to Sequence button (leftmost icon at the bottom right of the project panel).

• 2. Re: Automated assembly edit???
            Jim_Simon Level 8

automatically checkerboarded

Huh?

• 3. Re: Automated assembly edit???
              SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

"Checkerboarded" likely refers to the old way of arranging clips with V1, V2 and Effects track between. Alternating clips on the timeline is my guess. CS6 uses single-track editing, but same end result, clips with effects between.

Harm's suggestion is correct, and the default transition duration can be set in Prefs.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor

• 4. Re: Automated assembly edit???
                MD Optofonik Level 1

Sorry, film editing term that was still used in the early days of NLE. It's hard for me to put it into words but I'll give it a go. It's when raw clips are placed on a time line using alternating tracks, one above the other with or without a predetermined measure of overlap and transition. In the current NLE world I guess it applies mostly to audio although a few editors I used to know in the early 90's would checkerboard picture as well. Hope that clears it up a bit.

• 5. Re: Automated assembly edit???
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable, we have to change it every 6 months.

That also applies to editing. A/B editing went out ages ago to be replaced by single line editing.

• 6. Re: Automated assembly edit???
                    MD Optofonik Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I'n going to try Automate to Sequence when I finish a few classes. I clearly need them.

I didn't realize A/B editing was a fashion thing, I thought it was just guys used to cutting on the Steenbeck making the transition to computers and virtualizing their workflow habits. Probably wasn't the best way to go about it but they made it happen. It was all so new; the digital editing workflow paradigm wasn't codified yet. I imagine, "slug" is a term that's fallen out of fashion as well.

Of course us music guys had been getting our heads around working in a non-linear world with MIDI since the early 80's.