20 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2013 2:54 PM by A.T. Romano

Burning to DVD

JohnHulett

When I go to 'Share' in Premiere Elements 10 the options won't allow me to burn to DVD as it doesn't recognise my DVD burner. If I select burn AVCHD file to disc it does recognise the burner. Any ideas on why this is and what I can do about it?

• 1. Re: Burning to DVD
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Hard to say without knowing more about your system.

But, meantime, if you select the option to Burn DVD to Folder, can you successfully create the DVD files to your hard drive?

• 2. Re: Burning to DVD
            A.T. Romano Level 7

JohHulett

In addition to SG's questions, do you have Nero or other burn software installed on your computer with your Premiere Elements 10? By the way, on what computer operating system is Premiere Elements running?

Thanks

ATR

• 3. Re: Burning to DVD
              JohnHulett Level 1

Hi Steve and thanks. Yes I can create DVD files on the hard drive but haven't found an easy way of then producing an autoplay DVD by burning the file using other software on the computer (windows DVD maker). The frustrating thing is that the burning works fine on my Samsung laptop but its not a good machine for doing the editing. My HP Pavilion P6 has an enhanced graphics capability, core i5 processor and 4Gb of Ram which means it is a lot quicker

• 4. Re: Burning to DVD
                JohnHulett Level 1

Hi. I've got Windows DVD maker and CyberlinkPower2go installed. They're the only ones as for as I can see. The computer is a Windows 7 PC, corei5 processor, 4Gb RAM and a good extra graphics card.

J

• 5. Re: Burning to DVD
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are  you trying to create an auto-play DVD? That wasn't clear.

Meantime, if you've successfully created your DVD files to your computer's hard drive, you can just use the free download ImgBurn to burn the VIDEO_TS folder and its contents to a disc. Then you'll have a working DVD.

I actually prefer to do it this way because:

1) ImgBurn will verify your disc burn after it's done, which can increase the odds that your disc will play on any disc player;

2) This keeps a copy of the DVD files on your, and you can burn off extra DVDs from it in a matter of minutes.

• 6. Re: Burning to DVD
                    JohnHulett Level 1

Can you give me a link to a virus free web address for downloading imgburn as Google turns up a lot of very questionable routes to download the software.

Thanks for your help.

J

• 7. Re: Burning to DVD
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Burning to DVD
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

LookJohnHulett

Thanks for the information already supplied.

The following is a link to a how to for using ImgBurn and the VIDEO_TS of your Premiere Elements burn to folder so as to put the DVD-VIDEO format on a DVD disc in the correct file system.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burn_dvd_folder_imgburn.cfm

I am not sure if you said and I missed it...are you able to burn to disc DVD when you use the Windows DVD Maker or CyberLink's Power2Go?

Also, were you ever able to use Premiere Elements 10 Share/Disc/DVD and its burn to DVD disc? If so, were Windows DVD Maker and CyberLink Power2 Go on that computer at the time? The Windows DVD Maker typically comes with Windows 7, not 8, so I will just focus on the Power2 Go.

Remember, if you use the ImgBurn approach, it is just the VIDEO_TS Folder (all of it) that goes into ImgBurn, not the OpenDVD Folder that you should also find in the folder that Premiere Elements creates in its burn to folder DVD.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 9. Re: Burning to DVD
                          Vidis3 Level 1

I'm in the States and have to send a dvd to the Philippines -- Is there a way to burn a dvd in a non-region format?

Thanks!  

• 10. Re: Burning to DVD
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm in the States and have to send a dvd to the Philippines -- Is there a way to burn a dvd in a non-region format?

A DVD, burned from PrE will not have any Region Code. It will be Region 0, or Worldwide. Region Codes will only apply to replicated DVD's, and even then, can usually be bypassed, depending on the make and model of the DVD player.

Now, the Phillippines are NTSC, so you should be fine there. Note that most current PAL DVD players will also play NTSC discs, but that reciprocity does not apply with PAL content on an NTSC player - unfortunately.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Burning to DVD
                              Vidis3 Level 1

Does it matter which preset I have it on?

NTSC_Dolby DVD

NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

PAL_Dolby

PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

Thanks!!!

• 12. Re: Burning to DVD
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the settings of your Project?

Are you working with Standard 4:3, or Widescreen 16:9 Clips in that Project?

As you are in the US, then you will want one of the NTSC settings.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Burning to DVD
                                  Vidis3 Level 1

Thanks, I think Philippines is using NTSC too, so hope it works for them  :-)

• 14. Re: Burning to DVD
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

My sources indicate that they ARE NTSC, so you should be just fine.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Burning to DVD
                                      Vidis3 Level 1

I'm finally ready to burn the 2 hour movie but when it gets to 99%, twice it's told me "Unknown Error 2131046405" and spits the disc out during "Comiling Media".  I tried to play in on a DVD player but says no disc.

Am I going about it wrong? ...

(using PRE 11 on a MacBook)

Disc

Burn DVD

Burn to Disc

NTSC

Space Required 4.37GB (Bitrate 4.76Mbs)   -- ((using a 16X 4.7GB 120mins))

Burn

**Wait over two hours and then fails.

Any suggestions?
                                      Thanks!

• 16. Re: Burning to DVD
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Vidis3

You have too much on that DVD disc. Probably way over 4.37 GB. The DVD 4.7 GB/120 min disc is in reality 4.38 GB and the "for best results" citation is to keep to 90 minutes or less on that disc.

The maximum bitrate is 8.00 Mbps. Based on your Bitrate 4.76 Mbps readout, the Fit Contents to Available Space is working hard to make the fit by lowering the bitrate. The lower the bitrate the lower the quality. Unless you edit the Timeline content down, you might want to consider DVD Double Layer One Sided 8.5 GB/240 min. Then about 7.9 GB becomes the actual value for the disc labelled 8.5 GB.

When users have problems with the burn to DVD, they are usually asked to try the burn to folder instead. I would suggest that were it not for what seems to be too too much on that one DVD 4.7 GB/120 min disc. You could give it a try.

What do your computer resources look like in the way of available RAM, free hard drive space?

ATR

• 17. Re: Burning to DVD
                                          Vidis3 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Afraid I suspected this - but thanks for the confirmation!!! 

I'm going to go try the double layered DVD (didn't even know they existed, thank you!) ... 

In this case, since I will have extra space, could also add a gig worth of photos too, or not recommended?

Model Name:          MacBook

Model Identifier:          MacBook7,1

Processor Name:          Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed:          2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors:          1

Total Number Of Cores:          2

L2 Cache:          3 MB

Memory:          8 GB

Bus Speed:          1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version:          MB71.0039.B0B

86GB available (*was 100GB available last night, but have started the 16hr process of saving to folder as a contingency)

THANKS!!!!

• 18. Re: Burning to DVD
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Vidis3

Thanks for the follow up.

It will be interesting to learn the results with the DVD Double Layer Single Sided disc. But, please double check your burner specifications to make sure that it supports the double layer disc,

I noted the 8 GB of RAM installed. If I recall, you have Premiere Elements 10 on Mac (assumed 64 bit system). Whatever the case, I believe that your Premiere Elements 10 Mac is still a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system and as such has the resource limits of 32 bit. I believe that it was not until Premiere Elements 11 on Mac that Premiere Elements was a 64 bit application running in your Mac 64 bit system. I am strictly an Elements Windows person, so I am talking from the Premiere Elements Windows perspective. In this case I think I am on 95% firm ground?

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 19. Re: Burning to DVD
                                              Vidis3 Level 1

The 8.5GB DVD worked!!!   Totally did the trick!!!!  Thank you for your help, I was about to go to a third party and spend a ton to have it done.

I am using PrE11 - so maybe that's why I got away with it.

Super cool! - so happy!
                                              Thanks!!!!!

• 20. Re: Burning to DVD
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Vidis3

Congratulations on your success. Good job.

I thought that you were working with Premiere Elements 10 Mac. I think I may have looked at an earlier post of the person who originated the thread and assumed that you were both using version 10.

Premiere Elements 11 Mac on Mac 64 bit will be that 64 bit application that will give you the edge with those larger projects since more of the 64 bit resources can be taken advantage of.

Great news.

ATR