11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2013 3:39 PM by A.T. Romano

Why does Adobe Premiere Elements 11 download my videos to my computer so slowly?

Gamerfreak9101

Hey guys, I have been using Adobe Premiere Elements 11, for quite some time, and I noticed that its download speed is as slow as a turtle. I know it is not my download speed, because when I download files from the internet, or games, it goes as fast as anything. Just so you have more information, I will tell you have my recording/uploading process goes. First, I record the video (Using Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 Screen Capture). Then, I would send it to my video encoder. (Microsoft Expression Encoder 4). I would then encode the video, and send that output file to Adobe Premiere Elements 11 for further editing and to download it to my computer. Now, everything up to this point takes maybe 30 minutes. But when I get to Adobe, it takes more less 3 hours (give or take a few minutes). Finally, after all that waiting, I upload it to Youtube, which takes about an hour or so. My problem is Adobe is taking far to much time to install/download the video. And as a result of that, I can only put out about a video a day. Is there any way to speed that up, or should I just get a new editing software? All feedback, and help is greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Why does Adobe Premiere Elements 11 download my videos to my computer so slowly?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gamer

Could you detail exactly what going on in the following step, connection wise....

I would then encode the video, and send that output file to Adobe Premiere Elements 11 for further editing and to download it to my computer. Now, everything up to this point takes maybe 30 minutes. But when I get to Adobe, it takes more less 3 hours (give or take a few minutes).

I am assuming that you are talking about the time it takes for the video to import into Project Assets for you to drag to the Timeline. Are you observing any indexing and/or conforming going on (bar at bottom right of Expert view interface) during this 3 hour await time?

Among other things, what are you using for Add Media and to get to Project Assets? And, the usual drill, what are the properties of your source media, including size and duration, video and audio compression, file extension, etc.? By comparison what is the size and duration of those Internet games et al. that seem to be transferring to your expectations?

Is this one of those issues where "it never worked before" or "it worked before but not now" specific to Adobe files of the size and duration and properties that you are focusing on?

ATR

• 2. Re: Why does Adobe Premiere Elements 11 download my videos to my computer so slowly?
            Gamerfreak9101 Level 1

I don't believe I have ever used the "Project Assets" as for add media, I had already said I used Microsoft Expression Encoder 4, I also use a picture from Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 (as my outro picture). The file size and things of that nature vary between video, I didn't expect it to take that long for every video.

• 3. Re: Why does Adobe Premiere Elements 11 download my videos to my computer so slowly?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gamer

The typical ways to introduce media into Premiere Elements 11 is via AddMedia which puts the source media into Project Assets and from there you drag the contents to the Timeline Expert view edit.

These would be your choices.

PE11AddMedia.JPG

You say that you used Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 and a picture from Photoshop Elements 11.

Given that you are doing screen captures with Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 and you have a photo from Photoshop Elements 11, but how are you introducing them into Premiere Elements 11? At the same time that we are looking into the how, we need to look into the what, especially for the screen captures. The video and audio formats and file extension among other things are important to the Premiere Elements workflow.

So, again I would ask you to offer answers to what I had asked

I am assuming that you are talking about the time it takes for the video to import into Project Assets for you to drag to the Timeline. Are you observing any indexing and/or conforming going on (bar at bottom right of Expert view interface) during this 3 hour await time?

Among other things, what are you using for Add Media and to get to Project Assets? And, the usual drill, what are the properties of your source media, including size and duration, video and audio compression, file extension, etc.? By comparison what is the size and duration of those Internet games et al. that seem to be transferring to your expectations?

Is this one of those issues where "it never worked before" or "it worked before but not now" specific to Adobe files of the size and duration and properties that you are focusing on?

I see the answers to all of the above as expediting the matter to get your concerns addressed.

Please review.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Why does Adobe Premiere Elements 11 download my videos to my computer so slowly?
                Gamerfreak9101 Level 1

Yeah okay, I just realized that the thing you add media from puts it into Prject Assets (sorry on that) as for properties here is for the video I am starting to do now:

Type: Windows Media

File Size: 133.6 MB

Image Size: 1920x1080

Frame Rate: 30

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floatiing point - Stereo

Total Duration: 00:09:59:20

Average Data Rate: 228 KB/ second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

There is also a song that goes with the picture for the outro, whic I believe I forgot to mention.

• 5. Re: Why does Adobe Premiere Elements 11 download my videos to my computer so slowly?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Gamer

In Premiere Elements 11 Windows 7 64 bit, I just created a .wmv file to match the properties of what you described in your latest post #4 of this thread.

I found the importing of such a file into Premiere Elements 11 with its Add Media/Files and Folders and subsequent appearance in Project Assets to be quite rapid.

However, when I was exporting to that type of file (wmv 1920 x 1080 16:9 @ 30 progressive frames per second for file size about 133.6 MB and duration of about 10 minutes, that export process took about 2 1/2 hours. I and others have found the .wmv to be the more slower of the export to file saved to the computer hard drive. The actual time depending on the nature of the Timeline content as well as the computer resources. (Mine included an Intel dual core @ about 3.2 GHz, 8 GB RAM installed, about 1 TB free hard drive space.

I suspect that your 3 hour wait time for an export rather than the import of this .wmv file.

You might consider another export type, but the .wmv does have the advantage of the smaller file size.

Please review and let me know if I have interpreted your question correctly.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Why does Adobe Premiere Elements 11 download my videos to my computer so slowly?
                    Gamerfreak9101 Level 1

Could you tell me the pros and cons, and what file format you recommend, also thanks for your help, you have been very helpful, thus far.

• 7. Re: Why does Adobe Premiere Elements 11 download my videos to my computer so slowly?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Gamer

If you destination is YouTube, how about this:

1. The program automatically or you manually should set the project preset (new project dialog) to match the properties of your source media so that the program is directed by that setting to set up the correct space in the Edit Mode Monitor for editing purposes. Any problem on that let us know.

When it comes to export for YouTube, I would recommend that you save your Timeline to a AVCHD.mp4 file which you upload from its hard drive save location on your computer to YouTube at the YouTube web site. Suggested export would be:

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with the Presets = YouTube Widescreen HD

the default is 1280 x 720, but you can change the settings under the Advanced Button/Video and/or Tab of the preset

For the Video Tab...

YouTube.JPG

Check out the file size and the bitrate to give you the desired results. First take a look at the above and then adjust accordingly. Higher bitrate better quality, but larger file size and lower bitrate, lesser quality, but smaller file size.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Why does Adobe Premiere Elements 11 download my videos to my computer so slowly?
                        Gamerfreak9101 Level 1

The only problem with that is I like the resolution and things how they are currently, I don't what the resolution to be any smaller/bigger, aswell as the other settings.

• 9. Re: Why does Adobe Premiere Elements 11 download my videos to my computer so slowly?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gamer

Not sure what you meant by post #8 about maintaining resolution and such...

You posted for the planned .wmv

Type: Windows Media

File Size: 133.6 MB

Image Size: 1920x1080

Frame Rate: 30

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 16 bit Stereo

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floatiing point - Stereo

Total Duration: 00:09:59:20

Average Data Rate: 228 KB/ second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Where is the resolution different from the suggested settings for the AVCHD.mp4 in my post #7.

If you are referring to the original 1280 x 720 of the AVCHD.mp4, changing that is OK and gives excellent results in a flexible feature. That is why the Advanced Button is there in the export for the user to adjust the export settings to his/her requirements.

If you meant something else, please let me know, and I will rethink my response.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Why does Adobe Premiere Elements 11 download my videos to my computer so slowly?
                            Gamerfreak9101 Level 1

Hey Romano, this did work for a few days, and today when I went to upload (using the same exact things I used for the videos that uploaded quickly) It said it is going to take a few hours as opposed to like 20-30 minutes. I just wanted to know why? It makes no sense, this video is not bigger than any others, in fact it is smaller, so why is it taking way longer. I do appreciate all your help, and hopefully you can get back to me quickly.

• 11. Re: Why does Adobe Premiere Elements 11 download my videos to my computer so slowly?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gamer

It looks like you are following up on you Premiere Elements 11 workflow issues in a new thread today. For your convenience and for anyone else following your issue, this is the link to the original thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1234670?tstart=0

ATR