3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2013 9:56 PM by Steve Werner

Section headers

Bluebird52 Level 1

I would like to put a  heading at the top of each section of a book, next to the page number.  Right pages only, different headers for each section/chapter.  I don't like the idea of running headers as I wouldn't have control over how it is worded (in some cases I want to shorten the name of the chapter).  I created a variable for each chapter, but I'm not sure where to insert them.  I have a master page, but where do I put it?  I have separate sections for each chapter but can't click in the master page header box.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Section headers
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Create your Section Marker in the Numbering & Section Options dialog for the section (illustration below from InDesign CC but this is the same in earlier versions of InDesign):

InDesign003.jpg

Place it on the master page using the Type > Insert Special Character menu:

InDesign004.jpg

• 2. Re: Section headers
            Bluebird52 Level 1

That's excellent, thank you so much Steve.  I gotta say, I'm lovin this InDesign program.  I used to use PageMaker quite a number of years ago, and this is just so superior. 

One more quick question, though.  One thing I used to do in PM was to be able to drag the screen by holding down command and then pulling it in various directions with the mouse.  That was a really easy and quick way to reposition your screen.  I find it clunky and hard on the eyes to constantly be doing that using the scroll bars, which are sometimes even hidden by the Pages panel.  Is there a way to do this in InDesign? I searched the keyboard commands but couldn't see anything.  Thanks.

• 3. Re: Section headers
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You do that in InDesign by using the Hand tool. The shortcut (the equivalent of what you did in PM) is to hold down the Spacebar while you drag.

If you're working with text when you want to drag, hold down the Option/Alt key, then the spacebar and drag.