12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2013 12:40 PM by IsThereAScreenName

Variety of problems with Premier Elements 11

IsThereAScreenName

Continuing my trial with Elements and my last post.  So far, I've had trouble producing any sort of video because of what seem to be bugs with the program:

• h.264 clips play differently inside Elements than they do in, say, iTunes.  This is just the clip dropped on the timeline, no edits, transitions, titles etc added.  It just doesn't play the clip the way it should be so I can't use it in a movie.
      • h.264 clips won't play in Organiser.  Except when they do.  Or when they don't again.  Ditto on the timeline.  Why would they play sometimes, not others?
      • Launching the application occasionally causes iTunes or Safari to crash.
      • Problems with sound output on AVCHD clips in Organiser.  After a few seconds sound stops.  If I pause and move the timeline back, play, then sound returns.
      • Talking of which, once "something" completely took over the sound output on the computer so there was no sound at all and the responsiveness of anything that used sound output delayed to 10's of minutes: pressing volume up, wait 10 mins, press volume down, wait 10 mins.  It also screwed up responsiveness of other OS commands.  I can't state definitively it was Elements that did it but it's never happened before and the system has always been stable.
      • Dragging clips on the timeline.  I can't: the screen screws up everytime I try and do it.  What happens is I click and hold on the clip and move the mouse to move the clip...Elements immediately reproduces the grey markers/timeline/render/zoom bar at the top of the clips and drops all clips down.  The more I move the mouse the more grey bars I get until there are no tracks, just the grey bars.  If I drop the click now onto what is just a field of duplicated timeline bars it will inevitably add a new empty track 4 or track 5 or track 6 or whatever with the clip on it.  Do what I like, I can't get my clips onto one track running into each other and I'm unable to actually make a movie.  I suppose I could have each clip on it's own video/audio track but if that's the answer, then it's no answer! 

So far, I have failed miserably to create any output except of 1 clip with no titles or transitions.  The quality of that was good but of little use to me   I want to like this program because iMovies output is rubbish and I use a lot of other Adobe apps without problems.  It also handles my video cameras 1080/50p output and it isn't particularly expensive.  These things don't feel like I'm doing something wrong but at the moment the app is unusable.  Does it sound like an install problem?  A problem with the trial version?

iMac, OS 10.8.3, 3.2Ghz Intel Core i5, 32GB ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024MB, all OS updates applied.

Regards

Andrew

• 1. Re: Variety of problems with Premier Elements 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew,

You wrote

Dragging clips on the timeline.  I can't: the screen screws up everytime I try and do it.  What happens is I click and hold on the clip and move the mouse to move the clip...Elements immediately reproduces the grey markers/timeline/render/zoom bar at the top of the clips and drops all clips down.  The more I move the mouse the more grey bars I get until there are no tracks, just the grey bars.  If I drop the click now onto what is just a field of duplicated timeline bars it will inevitably add a new empty track 4 or track 5 or track 6 or whatever with the clip on it.  Do what I like, I can't get my clips onto one track running into each other and I'm unable to actually make a movie.  I suppose I could have each clip on it's own video/audio track but if that's the answer, then it's no answer!

Do you see the following related to your above observation?

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/expert-view-timeline-zoom-in.html

You wrote

h.264 clips play differently inside Elements than they do in, say, iTunes.  This is just the clip dropped on the timeline, no edits, transitions, titles etc added.  It just doesn't play the clip the way it should be so I can't use it in a movie.

Is there an orange line over the Timeline content when you make the above observation about clip playback? If so, do you Render that Timeline content before you make your judgment on whether or not you are getting the clip to play "the way it should"?

You wrote

Launching the application occasionally causes iTunes or Safari to crash.

In your computer environment, do you go with iTunes and/or Safari opened all the time? If so, what happens to the performance of Premiere Elements 11 if they are remain closed while you are working on a Premiere Elements project?

Those are just some thoughts for now.

ATR

• 2. Re: Variety of problems with Premier Elements 11
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Meantime, that's a lot of issues for a single post. It's very hard to address them all.

All I can say is that there's no reason Premiere Elements should cause all the buggy behavior you describe. I use it on my iMac Mountain Lion and it works flawlessly.

Have you checked for corrupt fonts, by the way? The only time I ever had problems running the Elements programs on my Mac is when I had corrupted fonts.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/940869?tstart=0

It is possible you've got some malware too. (No, Macs are not immune. Especially if you've got Flash and Java installed.) I run a free antivirus program called Sophos on my Mac. It's enough to keep those rare Mac bugs at bay.

• 3. Re: Variety of problems with Premier Elements 11
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Your post #2 was addressed to me. Did you really mean to address it to Andrew?

I suspect that Andrew's Premiere Elements 11 Mac issues need looking at from the Mac perspective, example the iTune and Safari crashes that he associates with Premiere Elements use. Unfortunately I am strictly an Elements Windows person. So, I was glad to see your comments coming from the Premiere Elements 11 Mac user perspective.

ATR

• 4. Re: Variety of problems with Premier Elements 11

Macs are great, when they work -- which is almost all the time. But when they get flakey, they get FLAKEY!

There are only a few things that go wrong with them. But when they do, it can be a real challenge to fix them.

BTW, Andrew, we're not dealing with a Retina display on this machine, are we? Retina technology has been at the core of a lot of problems.

• 5. Re: Variety of problems with Premier Elements 11
                  IsThereAScreenName Level 1

Thanks  Guys,

I was posting feedback and problems in the hope someone would say, "yeh, I've seen those things" or "Doesn't happen to me".  I believe some of them are my Mac problems: I was on an Adobe Connect call with support for a long time last night regarding the last problem and he could see the problem on my Mac, but not reproduce it on mine.  Interestingly, if I drag a clip, it's impossible to drop it accurately because the screen messes up BUT if whilst dragging, I also horizontally scroll without dropping the clip, the screen redisplays properly and stays that way - I can then move the clip around properly.  I can click, hold, drag and scroll at the same time because I use a Magic Mouse which is handy, but it's still a painful workaround.  We lost the connection and he's promised to get back in touch so we'll see if he can look into it further.

So..

Steve: no it's not a retina display.  It is a new model iMac though.

ATR: I did see the link but that's related to Retina displays and the timeline doesn't zoom, instead the grey bar holding the timeline, zoom buttons etc is duplicated above the existing one and the whole set of tracks shifts downwards.  The more I move the mouse, the more are duplicated and the more tracks are shifted off.

I didn't get chance to check the orange line thing last night (and won't be home tonight until very late so it'll be tomorrow before I do.)  However, I would say that I exported the clip as a movie compatible with AppleTV to see if it was just an internal thing.  It wasn't: the exported movie played the same as in Elements.  I suspect that rendering the clip won't make a difference??

Except for the h.264 issue, wihich I believe is a Premier problem, there's clearly some interaction between the program and other installs/configuration; I'm not sure about the will playback/won't playback, will play sound/won't play sound - that's intermittent but repeatable but with no discernible pattern.  I'll need to do some more digging around and investigation tomorrow.  The system is stable and I don't have issues with other apps, including all the Design Premium apps and Lightroom.

Regards

Andrew

• 6. Re: Variety of problems with Premier Elements 11

Have you checked for font corruption? Strangely, corrupt fonts affect many aspects of a Mac's performance.

• 7. Re: Variety of problems with Premier Elements 11

Steve,

Do you happen to have a dual monitor setup with your Mac?  I've found the problem....

I use two monitors, although PE is only on my main iMac screen.  The second screen is a desktop extension, i.e. not mirrored.  It's actually an AOC 1920x1080p screen connected with an HDMI lead via Displayport (thunderbolt port) to HDMI convertor.  These are the combinations:

• Screen off, display lead plugged in to iMac: problem occurs.
                      • Screen off, power cord out, display lead plugged in to iMac: problem occurs.
                      • Screen off, power cord out, display lead unplugged from iMac: problem disappears.

So the issue (timeline dragging) is related to either (a) a lead plugged in to the displayport/thunderbolt port; or (b) the lead itself.  Actually, I can leave the lead in the displayport but pull the HDMI lead out of the monitor and that fixes the problem.

Question is: problem with dual monitor support, or a problem with my monitor setup?  It wouldn't surprise me if it's a problem with the monitor because it would be too obvious a "bug" to be dual monitor problem.

ATR: you asked if there was an orange line through my h.264 clips.  The answer is yes there is. I rendered the clips and the issue is still there but, actually, so is the orange line through the clips, although there is a green line at the top on the timeline bar.

Regards,

Andrew

• 8. Re: Variety of problems with Premier Elements 11
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

I do not want to break the train of thought between you and SG, but I just want to address what you wrote to me in your reply to him:

ATR: you asked if there was an orange line through my h.264 clips.  The answer is yes there is. I rendered the clips and the issue is still there but, actually, so is the orange line through the clips, although there is a green line at the top on the timeline bar.

Please note that I did not write "...an orange line through my.....". Instead I wrote

Is there an orange line over the Timeline content when you make the above observation about clip playback? If so, do you Render that Timeline content before you make your judgment on whether or not you are getting the clip to play "the way it should"?

Important "over" versus "through".

The orange line that runs horizontally across the clip is called rubberband. For video track content, it represents Opacity by default, and for audio track content,  it presents Clip Volume by default. More about that when and if you need it.

As for the the orange line over the Timeline content that is part of an indicator system involved in the program letting you know whether it thinks that you have the best possible preview when you play back the Timeline content in the monitor. No colored line or green, you are getting the best possible preview. Orange, you are not. If you see orange over the Timeline content and your Render that Timeline, the orange line turns green at the completion of the process implying that you are now seeing the best possible preview.. More on that if you need it.

ATR

• 9. Re: Variety of problems with Premier Elements 11
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR makes some very important distinctions, regarding the "orange lines." Until PrE 11, the "orange line" ABOVE a Clip, indicating the need to Render for the smoothest playback, was red, and not orange. Why it was changed is a mystery to me. This shows the two "orange lines," which indicate different things:

Orange_Lines.png

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Variety of problems with Premier Elements 11

Thanks, you're right I didn't read carefully just saw an orange line!  Currently, the clips have a green line above them.

• 11. Re: Variety of problems with Premier Elements 11
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Excellent.

The green line indicates that the Clip(s) has/have been Rendered, so will play as smoothly, as is possible.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Variety of problems with Premier Elements 11

All....timeline dragging problem, and apologies to ATR!

This link http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/multiple_monitor_glitch shows the issue I'm having and the resolution.  And, the resolution is the same as ATR pointed out above for the Retina display problem!  So my sincere apologies, I should have tried it.

That's that problem solved.  Just need to resolve why my h.264 clips aren't playing back properly in elements (even with a green line) and why no clips play at all in the Organiser.