Comments regarding your planned build:
- cpu - check
- mb - check
- p/s - check
- RAM - check
- CM x6 - no, discontinued in USA, reviews marginal, go with CM 212 EVO and add a fan if you want best performance on a budget
- SSD - stick wth a single SSD for OS/programs (Samsung pro excellent, corsair high end OK, budget models write too slow)
- SSD - extra for After Effects - get one with awesome write speed or if budget does not allow skip it
- Green WDs - no, no, no!!! WD blacks, Hitachi, Seagate .14 drives are all great
- Gigabyte GTX 570 OC - great card, use it!
I expected some mention of the greens but for just storage/archiving I've found them usefull, and affordable for bulk storage . I dump my raw on one til I get time to edit, them transfer to a black for edit, once complete and supplied to client it gets archived on another.
With the SSDs I was working towards a setup similar too; OS, progs, cache/preview & then media all on dedicated drives.
Any info on the SSD caching with the x79pro ?
I'm using win 7 pro ATM, see no reason to update to 8.
BUMP on this one, any help or advice guys ?
If you are talking about the SSD caching tech on the Asmedia Controller, it's ok but not worth the use of an SSD. You would be better using the SSD for the AE cache and Media Cache or for media in progress.
Remember the failure rate of Green drives if you are going to use them for archive. You need to backup those archives accordingly.