5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2013 5:17 AM by MarkWalsh

Adobe X Pro vs Adobe X Standard and Javascripts

csb102155 Level 1

Hi, I'm running into a problem.  I have Adobe Acrobat X Pro on my computer at work, however, I'm finding that my field personnel have Adobe Acrobat X Standard.  I've written some javascripts on a form to automatically calculate when a number is entered into a field.  I'm finding that the form works fine for the folks with Adobe Acrobat X Pro, but does not work for people with Adobe Acrobat X Standard. 

Is there a specific reason for this?   I've been going nuts trying to find out why this is happening.  I even created the form in Adobe LiveCycle ES2 and the form still will not calculate for those that have Adobe Acrobat X Standard.  In addition to that, it doesn't work with Adobe Reader either.

Anyone has any idea why this is happening? 

(I'm going to post this same message over in Adobe Acrobat in case I've put this in the wrong spot.)

Thanks

Connie

• 1. Re: Adobe X Pro vs Adobe X Standard and Javascripts
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There's no major difference in the implementation of scripts between

Acrobat Pro and Acrobat Standard, definitely not if all that is involved is

the calculation of some fields. You need to make sure that the other people

are in fact opening the files in Acrobat and not some other software, and

of course that JS is enabled.

For further tips you'll need to provide more information about the exact

nature of the problem, any error messages, and the exact code you used.

• 2. Re: Adobe X Pro vs Adobe X Standard and Javascripts
            csb102155 Level 1

Ok, how do you make sure that JS is enabled?  Is it in the preferences dialog box?

• 3. Re: Adobe X Pro vs Adobe X Standard and Javascripts
              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Yes, Edit - Prefs. - JavaScript - Enable Acrobat JavaScript.

• 4. Re: Adobe X Pro vs Adobe X Standard and Javascripts
                gkaiseril MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There is no difference in the JavaScript that is used and available to Acrobat Standard and Acrobat Professional. Adobe Reader cannot use specific features of the Acrobat JavaScript extensions like using JavaScript to add a form field. What is different between Acrobat Standard and Acrobat Professional is being able to access the document level JavaScript editing through User Interface, UI, of the program.

The application preference for allowing JavaScript is the end user's choice. You can use a page open or document level script and a field, layer, or comment to check if JavaScript has been enabled. You can create a read only field that has a message that "JavaScript needs to be enabled". The field should be read only and visible. Then you can use a script like:

his.getField("MyJSWaringingField").display = display.hidden;

To hide the field upon opening the page or the PDF. The field will become hidden if JavaScript is enabled or remain visible if JavaScript is not available or not enabled.

• 5. Re: Adobe X Pro vs Adobe X Standard and Javascripts
                  MarkWalsh Level 4

You can add a requirement to your document that will disable the form if Javascript is not enabled. Run this in the console before distributing the document:

this.addRequirement (requirements.EnableJavaScripts)

If Javascript is disabled when the form opens, it will give the user a warning dialog asking them to enable, and if they don't, the form will be completely disabled. Of course, this will only work if they are using Acrobat (Pro/Standard/Reader/etc.), and most likely not if they are using another third-party application.