13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2016 10:41 AM by rob day

My UK dictionary isn't working properly?

pgevans

My language is set to English (UK), however InDesign isn't flagging common mispellings. It is acting like the US dictionary. For example, it uses "z" instead of "s" in "izes" and programme is program.

I can't delete those words from my user dictionary because it only allows me to edit words that I have added. Last year it worked flawlessly, but now I can't spell check anything UK correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: My UK dictionary isn't working properly?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I see the same thing here. I don't know if it will help, but if you go to the prefs for dictionary there's a choice to use the User Dictionary Only.

• 2. Re: My UK dictionary isn't working properly?
            Bill Byers Level 2

I don't see that here (INDD CS6.0.1, WinXP SP3)

When I assigned English:UK to a story, the spell checker flagged color, defense, and theater as incorrect and suggested colour, defence, and theatre as corrections. It did, however, allow recognize.

Interestingly, when I used the UK spellings and assigned English:USA to the story, the spell checker only flagged colour as incorrect and let defence, theatre, and recognise stand.

With English:Canadian assigned to the story, it allowed either spelling for the first three, but it insisted on recognize. Strange.

-Bill

• 3. Re: My UK dictionary isn't working properly?
              hworkman3

I'm having the same issue in INDD CS 5, OSX 10.6.8. UK spell-check was working fine a few months ago until I had an unrelated problem in another file in which my small caps stopped working in some fonts. Following the advice on another Adobe forum thread, I installed patch update CS5 to 7.0.4. This fixed the small caps problem but now my UK spell check no longer catches the common mispellings described above by pgevans. All other variables are the same, as I'm working on the same US-to-UK file from a few months ago, so I think there was something in the patch that affected INDD's dictionaries in spell check. Any help? Thanks!

• 4. Re: My UK dictionary isn't working properly?

And you are sure the words are all correclty tagged as UK English?

• 5. Re: My UK dictionary isn't working properly?
                  hworkman3 Level 1

I'm not sure what you're asking when you say "the words are all correclty tagged..." If you mean, do I have the dictionary set to UK, then yes. I made sure it is set to UK English in both Document Preferences, then checked each paragraph and character style sheet to make sure they were all set to use the UK English dictionary as well.

• 6. Re: My UK dictionary isn't working properly?

I mean if you select the word where it appears inthe document, is the language assigned really UK English in the Language field of the Character or Control panel? The preference setting has nothing to do with assigning languages, only to choose which of multipel dictionaries to use if more than one is installed, and style options might be overridden.

That isn't to say that there may not be a real problem, but you need to be sure the correct language is assigned before we can say there is.

• 7. Re: My UK dictionary isn't working properly?
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To illustrate Peter's point, this paragraph style has English assigned:

Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 2.46.26 PM.png

But bonjour's character style is French:

Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 2.46.56 PM.png

As a selection of characters the language is mixed:

Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 2.50.24 PM.png

• 8. Re: My UK dictionary isn't working properly?
                        hworkman3 Level 1

Rob, thanks for the clarification. Yes, all the text is properly flagged as "UK English." It's behaving like Bill and pgevans describe above: catching some words such as color, specialty, and center but missing common "z" instead of "s" spellings such as customize and utilize. When I created my file several months ago, spell-check was catching everything but now it isn't. Since the only thing I can think of that's changed was the 7.0.4 patch, that was my first thought as to the culprit. Is there some other setting I could've inadvertently changed? Thanks

• 9. Re: My UK dictionary isn't working properly?

I can't imagine why an update would have involved the dictionary, but I don't have a good explanation otherwise.

Of course the bad news is that it will never get fixed if that really is the issue.

• 10. Re: My UK dictionary isn't working properly?
                            pgevans Level 1

I came back to my old post hoping someone had discovered the answer. Still having the same problems on my end.

Anyone else out there have any new ideas?

• 11. Re: My UK dictionary isn't working properly?
                              la-nicholls Level 1

I am having the same issue. My overall preferences are set to UK English. All paragraph and character styles are set to UK English (including basic paragraph default). It is UK English in a 'no document state' Yet dynamic spelling is underlining UK spellings as if it's a typo. I have only noticed this only happened since the last CC upgrade. Is there a solution to this? I can't rely on adobe InDesign spell check for my documents!!!

• 12. Re: My UK dictionary isn't working properly?
                                twinbrush Level 1

I've just noticed the same problem since the latest version of CC.

Exact same as you guys, everything in preferences, no document states, paragraph and character panels are all set in English UK, however as soon as you go to spell-check it reverts to English US. This is a serious issue for a creative professional.

This really needs sorted. Any thoughts Adobe?

• 13. Re: My UK dictionary isn't working properly?
                                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Because language is a character level setting it can be challenging to completely set the language for an existing document. When I'm having unwanted language conflicts I run this Applescript (sorry OSX only)

----------------------------------

set lang to "English: UK"

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

set pstyles to all paragraph styles of active document

repeat with i from 1 to number of items in pstyles

try

set applied language of item i of pstyles to lang

end try

end repeat

set cstyles to all character styles of active document

repeat with i from 1 to number of items in cstyles

try

set applied language of item i of cstyles to lang

end try

end repeat

try

set applied language of every paragraph of every story of active document to lang

end try

try

set applied language of every paragraph of every cell of every table of every story of active document to lang

end try

end tell