9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2013 10:15 AM by conroy RSS

RGB v. CMYK issues...

Bruceluvia

I'm creating an image in Ps with a transparent background to use as print media in Id. I'm finding that, to maintain my transparency, I can only do this as a PNG document. The PNG format will only allow me to save as in RGB. I need CMYK. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: RGB v. CMYK issues...
          Curt Y Community Member

Recheck the cmyk requirements.  Currently many comercial printers use RBG, and only hi end 4 color printers use the cmyk method.

• 2. Re: RGB v. CMYK issues...
            Mike Gondek2 CommunityMVP

Save as .psd, has non-lossy compression, and you can place in InDesign.

• 3. Re: RGB v. CMYK issues...
              Bruceluvia Community Member

Yes, when I save simply as "Photoshop" I can place it in InDesign but I lose the transparency, i.e. I get a white background. Also, I don't know what you mean by "non-lossy compression".

In CS6 I have multiple Photoshop save possibilities:

• Photoshop
              • Photoshop EPS
              • Photoshop 2.0
              • Photoshop RAW
              • Photoshop DCS 1.0
              • Photoshop DCS 2.0

Would it matter to select something other than "Photoshop"?

• 4. Re: RGB v. CMYK issues...

This project will probably require high end printing...

• 5. Re: RGB v. CMYK issues...
                  MW Design CommunityMVP

Try saving as a PDF and placing that in ID. But your PSD should work. In ID, check the box for the import options in the Place dialog.

Mike

• 6. Re: RGB v. CMYK issues...

Hi Mike,

Thank you! This was quite helpful, as it did indeed work, but it brings me another question...

The following indentical versions have all been saved in Photoshop to be use in InDesign for print media:

• PDF ver. is 11.3 Mb
                    • PNG ver. is 22.9 Mb <-- will only save in RGB (I need it in CMYK)
                    • TIF ver. was 7.1 Mb <--  this one would not maitain a transparent background and is therfore not useful
                    • JPG ver. was 2.1 Mb <-- also without a transparent background

The only version that consistently works and prints well is the PDF.

My question is this: Does InDesign care how large (how many Megabytes) my images are? Will my printer care?  i.e. What are the pros & cons of the file size for InDesign and when I take the project to my printer.

Please understand that I am a relative newbie to the desktop publishing & graphic design world. I believe I would be catagorized as an "advanced beginner" and a good student.

Thank you for any insight you can give,

Bruce Swanson

• 7. Re: RGB v. CMYK issues...
                      Curt Y Community Member

A TIFF should save a transparent background. From a previous post.

3. Chris Cox,

May 19, 2010 6:57 PM    in reply to Niles Ridgeman 

There’s no transparency support in tiffs

That is not correct - TIFF supports transparency.

Some other applications may not support TIFF transparency correctly, but the file format does support it, and Photoshop's TIFF code supports transparency.

• 8. Re: RGB v. CMYK issues...
                        c.pfaffenbichler Community Member

Yes, when I save simply as "Photoshop" I can place it in InDesign but I lose the transparency

You seem to be doing something wrong then.

psd supports transparency and Indesign can handle psd files.

Could you please post a screenshot with the Layers Panel visible?

WIll you pass on the indd file or a pdf?

In the latter case working with placed rgb images is OK because one can separate on pdf export (for example PDF/X-1).

• 9. Re: RGB v. CMYK issues...
                          conroy Community Member

Bruceluvia wrote:

Yes, when I save simply as "Photoshop" I can place it in InDesign but I lose the transparency, i.e. I get a white background [...]

Make sure Layers is enabled in the Save As dialog when saving to PSD, PSB, TIFF or PDF, otherwise the file will contain an opaque flattened image.