12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2013 1:54 AM by JBukovski

MSI GE60 vs. Lenovo Y510p

zads85 Level 1

I'm looking at these two laptops to use with for photo and some hd video editing with CS6 while I am traveling. Both are at the top end of my budget. From what I can tell the big difference which I am not sure how they compare is the graphics cards, also the hard drives. One intangible between the two is customer service and from what I have read Xoticpc has good customer service whereas Lenovo does not.

Which laptop is better:

http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-ge60-2oe003us-p-5782.html

1. MSI GE60 - $1284

2. 15.6" FHD (16:9) Anti-Glare Matte-Type Screen (1920x1080)

3. 4th Generation Intel® Mobile Core i7-4700MQ Haswell Processor

4. 16GB DDR3 1600MHz (Dual Channel Memory (2x8GB SODIMMS))

5. 750GB 7200RPM Hard Drive

6. nVIDIA® GeForce GTX 765M GDDR5 (2.0GB)

or

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y510p/#customize

1. Lenovo Ideapad Y510p Laptop Dual Graphics - $1299

2. 15.6" FHD LED Anti-Glare Wedge 1920x1080

3. 4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)

4. 16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz

5. 1TB 5400 RPM+24GB SSD

6. NVIDIA GeForce GT750M GDDR5 2GB + Ultrabay SLI Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce GT720M GDDR5 2GB

• 1. Re: MSI GE60 vs. Lenovo Y510p
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>hd video editing

NO to a 5400rpm drive... and only one drive in the other is going to be VERY limiting

• 2. Re: MSI GE60 vs. Lenovo Y510p
            zads85 Level 1

The MSI laptop can more easily get a ssd for a primary hard drive and have 7200 hd as the secondary

• 3. Re: MSI GE60 vs. Lenovo Y510p
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

SSD for Windows and all programs, plus 7200rpm drive for projects and video files would work... how well, considering laptop components are a trade off between performance and heat generation and power consumption, is for you to decide

Since you say "Both are at the top end of my budget" and I have read MANY messages about problems with dual graphics "Lenovo Ideapad Y510p Laptop Dual Graphics" then I would say the MSI looks like a better choice... with SSD as primary and the 750Gig 7200rpm as secondary

• 4. Re: MSI GE60 vs. Lenovo Y510p
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have to agree with John about the MSI being the best starting point and

1. Since it does have two mSATA slots for SSD drives
                2. Also one SATA 2.5-inch drive slot. 
                3. And there is an option for a fourth Hard Disk drive or another SSD drive by swapping out the optical drive.

If your budget does not allow immediate population of any empty slots but maybe you might have more money say later in the year you might better off  with a crippled unit for a start that has a very simple way that you yourself can upgrade to make it a potential  usable editing system. 

In the meantime if you have (or add) an external USB 3.0  7200 RPM hard drive that would temporarily improve the bare unit performance

• 5. Re: MSI GE60 vs. Lenovo Y510p
                  zads85 Level 1

Thanks for the feed back! I'll go with the MSI then, unless there is anything else I should consider before making this purchasing decision...

• 6. Re: MSI GE60 vs. Lenovo Y510p
                    Boncrek Level 1

I also was looking at these two laptops for editing purposes.
                    The Lenovo has better cooling and build quality but it lacks a clear SSD option for OS drive.

From first-hand accounts on Notebookreview.com it comes with the new M.2 (NGFF) standard which is not compatible with mSata. The space for this connector is of the 42mm variety which is made for cache ssds 32gb or less.

So the MSI is a better buy in that it allows both HDD and SSD to be used efficiently.

• 7. Re: MSI GE60 vs. Lenovo Y510p
                      zads85 Level 1

Hey Boncrek did you end up buying the MSI?

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

• 8. Re: MSI GE60 vs. Lenovo Y510p
                        Boncrek Level 1

I am still trying to source the funds but it is my number one choice at this point.

• 9. Re: MSI GE60 vs. Lenovo Y510p
                          JBukovski Level 1

You will make a terrible mistake, y510p is way better. 750M SLI will blow away gtx765m, there are some games that have problems with SLI, but soon this will be history, when nvidia pull out the new driver. About the SSD, in month or two on the market will be the new m.2 NGFF SSD, which will be revolutional, enabling a sequential read performance of 1,400MB/s (megabytes per second) and more. Here is a part of an article about the new SSD coming up soon from SAMSUNG "The new Samsung XP941 is approximately seven times faster than a hard disk drive, and more than 2.5 times faster than the fastest SATA SSD."!

I have made my choice, and now I am waiting for that monster y510p

• 10. Re: MSI GE60 vs. Lenovo Y510p
                            Boncrek Level 1

The space for the M.2 ssd in the Y510P is only 42mm long.

That is only large enough for cache sizes, not anything larger than 32GB.

You are right about the benefits of the M.2 form factor but that applies for the 80mm sizes and up...not 42mm.

Plus with the SLI (which does not work with Adobe...yet) you lose that DVD drive and so you can no longer have an SSD and HDD in this laptop.

• 11. Re: MSI GE60 vs. Lenovo Y510p
                              JBukovski Level 1

Take a look at Computex 2013 Adata M.2, there will be 64GB SSD, perfectly enough for OS, CS and programs, and if it is not enough SanDisk will release 128gb M.2 SSD 42mm.. which is more than enough.

On the good side, Samsung release a new better and cheaper SSD mSATA called 840 EVO: 120 GB($110), 250 GB($190), 500 GB($370), 750 GB($530) and 1 TB($650). It is not a problem to put 500GB SSD on the place of 1TB HDD, and forget about that damn slow HDD. And in case that the space is not enough for you, you can aways use that 1TB HDD as an exterior HDD.

This is just my opinion, I am not happy either with the decision for the NGFF in y510p, but there are so many other things that are way better than that ugly MSI.

Cheers

• 12. Re: MSI GE60 vs. Lenovo Y510p
                                JBukovski Level 1

Something to add, "In addition to its 2.5-inch SATA 6 Gb/s TLC NAND flash SSD, Plextor showed off its upcoming SSD in the NGFF form-factor, designed for next-generation Ultrabooks. Based on the same Marvell 88SS9189 processor and triple-level cell (TLC) NAND flash memory as its 2.5-inch cousin, the drive differs in being a 42 x 22 mm (LxW) NGFF module, with PCI-Express 2.0 x2 interface. The drives will be sold in 128 GB and 256 GB capacities, featuring 256 MB and 512 MB DDR3 DRAM caches, respectively."

I think SSD+HDD is not a problem at all. As for the problem with the Adobe and SLI, soon when release the new drivers this won't be a problem, don't forget that SLI and crossfire are very new technology, it is normal to need more time to break thru. In one year maybe it will be a something more than common. Even though I think one GT 750M is more than enough for CS6, at work I am with 640M .... no comment

PS: Who needs a DVD, when was the last time you use that rock?

Cheers