5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2013 8:47 AM by a C student

Hidden Alt tags

jaspermaxx44 Level 1

I'm Adding alt tags to a PDF and everything is going fine. But who ever made this document before hand, added an alt tag to a page number and to two bullets. I would like to remove them and can't seem to be able. Can someone help me please? I dob't see the alt tag. but people with screen reader see it.

• 1. Re: Hidden Alt tags
          Allta Media Adobe Community Professional

Try opening the Tag navigation pane, select the appropriate tag, right-click, and then choose Properties. You will see the Alt Text associated with the tag here.

Alttext.jpg

• 2. Re: Hidden Alt tags
            jaspermaxx44 Level 1

I tryed this and in the alternate text box there is nothing. But the image does show a tag.

• 3. Re: Hidden Alt tags
              a C student Level 3

Hi jaspermaxx44,

Any alt text would have to show up in the tag properties. Could it be that what your users are reporting as alt text is actually expansion text? If so you will find it on the Content tab of the tag properties.

Also - are the bullets and page numbers needed in the document structure? In most cases I tag bullets and page numbers as background artifacts. Bullets are a visual indicator of a bulleted list, but if the list is properly tagged AT such as a screen reader will know it is a list, so the bullets serve no useful purpose. Page numbers just interrupt the reading flow. If you background-artifact the page numbers and bullets the mystery alt text will not be a factor.

• 4. Re: Hidden Alt tags
                jaspermaxx44 Level 1

There are two page numbers with alt  tags and two  bullets with alt tags i can't see.

• 5. Re: Hidden Alt tags
                  a C student Level 3

Yes, I understood that from your previous posts. Did you check for expansion text? Are the bullets and page numbers needed or can they be background-artifacted out of the document structure?