20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2013 11:35 AM by Nancy OShea

Dreamweaver template

rajatiger

Can I link an older Dreamweaver document to a newer template so the newer doc has the same navagation attributes as the newer docs created from the new template?

• 1. Re: Dreamweaver template
          mhollis55 Level 4

Dreamweaver writes standard HTML. With respect to templates, it handles those through standard HTML comments and its cache. So if, for example, you created a document a few years ago and you want it linked to a template that is based on that document that you created today, you're good to go.

And Dreamweaver templates work in all versions of Dreamweaver.

• 2. Re: Dreamweaver template
            rajatiger Level 1

What do I do to link it?

• 3. Re: Dreamweaver template
              MurraySummers Level 8

Is the older document a template child page, or just a legacy HTML page?

• 4. Re: Dreamweaver template
                MurraySummers Level 8

If it's the latter, your best bet would be to spawn a new page from the template, copy and paste content from the legacy page to the new page, and then save the new page to overwrite the legacy page (i.e., use the same filename).

• 5. Re: Dreamweaver template
                  rajatiger Level 1

Murray,

I'm working in "Adobe Classroom in a Book" Dreamweaver tutorial. 

What happened is I created 4 pages from a template. I screwed up on one of the pages and deleted some content not realizing it. I saved everything. I realized my mistake then (compounding it) I overwrote the botched doc with the original that you start with at the beginning of the lesson. I would like to update/re-link it to the new template so it works like the others. Do I have to recreate the doc from scratch starting with building it from the desired template?

Thanks

• 6. Re: Dreamweaver template
                    MurraySummers Level 8

Spawning a new document from the template is no big deal. Applying a template to a new document with existing content IS a big deal. I think the best way to proceed is how I described.

• 7. Re: Dreamweaver template
                      rajatiger Level 1

Much thanks. I take when I paste the content onto the Dreamweaver doc all the code will be overwritten...

• 8. Re: Dreamweaver template
                        MurraySummers Level 8

Let me try again.

1. Spawn a new page from your new template.

2. Open the old page and from Design view, copy CONTENT that you want to appear in the editable regions on the new page.

3. Paste the copied content into the desired editable region of Design view on the new page.

4. When all of the desired content has been copied over, save the new page with the old page's name (if you are feeling uncertain about doing this, make a copy of the old page first).

There is no code to be overwritten, since you are pasting content into editable regions.

Make sense?

• 9. Re: Dreamweaver template
                          rajatiger Level 1

Perfectly....thanks again

• 10. Re: Dreamweaver template
                            VL Branko Level 2

MurraySummers wrote:

Spawning a new document from the template is no big deal. Applying a template to a new document with existing content IS a big deal. I think the best way to proceed is how I described.

Murry I was wondering why it is a big deal? I finally finished the template I want to use for the site and I was planning to just apply the new template to the old pages, but after reading what you wote I am having 2nd thoughts. What should I be looking out for?

• 11. Re: Dreamweaver template
                              mhollis55 Level 4

Here is how I make templates—though Murray's technique may be different.

I create a regular HTML page. So the page in question that you have all ready had us look at may become a template.

Then I tell Dreamweaver to save it as a template.

Then, on the template, I create editable regions. Dreamweaver already creates two editable regions in your area, one for title and another for any page-specific JavaScript you want to do in that area as well as for any page-specific CSS. You will want to create editable regions in the body of the web page so that you can change the content there.

Dreamweaver will insert comments in the template to suit.

Now, you can then create pages from your template by using the File>New Page from template dialog in Dreamweaver.

Make sense?

If I'm working for XYZCorp, I'll create an initial page called "xyzcorp.html" and put it up on my server. Then I will give the person I am working with a link to exactly that page and have them sign off on it. There may be color changes, there may be a few design elements that need to change. I do that on that particular page until the client is happy.

Then I make the template and start cranking out pages based on that template.

-Mark

• 12. Re: Dreamweaver template
                                VL Branko Level 2

My situation is a bit different, I already have an old site that had been built in Golive, converting to DW didn't really work out well. So I made a new template and will apply it to the existing pages. So I was concerned that Murry said "it was a big deal." So I wondered what he meant. I will be trying in next few days so will find out soon enough.

• 13. Re: Dreamweaver template
                                  mhollis55 Level 4

Converting from GoLive to Dreamweaver never goes very well, so you're not alone.

I would have tried to completely re-create a master page for the site in Dreamweaver and made a template out of it. If the client (or your company) is happy with the GoLive design, there are opportunities to take chunks of the HTML (assuming it's not just a series of tables) and paste them into Dreamweaver, leaving the GoLive garbage out.

But if the site is done in tables, I'd take the design and simply redo it in Dreamweaver. Anything you can do in tables, you can do the modern way, using divs—and it winds up being a better website.

• 14. Re: Dreamweaver template
                                    Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When you apply Templates to existing pages you better make darned certain that those older files contain editable regions to exactly match the ones in your Template or it won't work. 

Also, you owe it to yourself to ensure the old files contain clean, error free code or it will be a complete train wreck.

Nancy O.

• 15. Re: Dreamweaver template
                                      mhollis55 Level 4

It's always best to start with a clean template that you have created and checked with ,a hrev="http://validator.w3.org/">the W3C Markup Validation tool.

• 16. Re: Dreamweaver template
                                        VL Branko Level 2

Nancy O. wrote:

When you apply Templates to existing pages you better make darned certain that those older files contain editable regions to exactly match the ones in your Template or it won't work. 

Also, you owe it to yourself to ensure the old files contain clean, error free code or it will be a complete train wreck.

Nancy O.

The new template is squeeky clean but the old files have some artifacts left over from GoLive. Will test it and let you know what happens. Otherwise I will be doing a lot of copying and pasting )-:

• 17. Re: Dreamweaver template
                                          VL Branko Level 2

Well today I actually started the process of applying the new template to the old pages and it was a complete failure, a real mess. It will be a lot easier just to copy and paste content onto a new child page than try to make it work. Time to put on some good music (something to keep me from falling asleep) and my headphones and just c/p for a few days.

• 18. Re: Dreamweaver template
                                            rajatiger Level 1

Thanks, I did the copy and paste and it worked fine. 

• 19. Re: Dreamweaver template
                                              apapdavid

Hi,

I have dreamweaver 4 (an old version) and I tried to use some new free tmeplates but although the templates are opening they are opening in a haphazard way and the design looks bad.Are you sure theyu work with any version?I updated java and flash but still no success

• 20. Re: Dreamweaver template
                                                Nancy OShea Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Macromedia DW 4 or Adobe DW CS4?  There's a huge difference between the two products.

If you're still using DW4, the product is out of date and I suspect it cannot cope with modern HTML and CSS rendering.  You would need to work exclusively in Code View and Preview in browsers.

Nancy O.

1 person found this helpful