3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2013 1:03 PM by dwingp

Save or export all-vector graphic created in Fireworks CS5 as SVG

dwingp

This is extremely frustrating. I have Fireworks CS5. It has several tools for creating vector graphics. I have been creating a line drawing that uses 100% vector tools - no bitmap - yet there is no way that I can save or export this graphic as an SVG (scalable vector graphic). I need to be able to save this as a vector file so that someone with a laser cutter can cut and etch according to my specs. Why, short of Adobe (who purchased competitor Macromedia) wanting to force me to purchase Illustrator to do this one task, do they give us vector tools if we can't save vector files? Guess I should add that I don't own Illustrator.

• 1. Re: Save or export all-vector graphic created in Fireworks CS5 as SVG
          groove25 Level 4

Yeah, it's unfortunate; you have to remember that Fireworks was designed for bitmap output (for web and screen) and hasn't been developed much beyond that concept.

I'd suggest giving Aaron Beall's Export commands a try, as they include an ‘Export SVG’ option:

http://fireworks.abeall.com/extensions/commands/Export/

John Dunning recently released an SVG panel to allow for importing SVGs into Fireworks:

http://johndunning.com/fireworks/about/SVG

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Save or export all-vector graphic created in Fireworks CS5 as SVG
            dwingp Level 1

Thanks, I'll give Aaron's export commands a try, as you suggest (and will report back for the forum). Boy this would be a huge help.

And thanks for your prompt response! I've never used this kind of forum before, so didn't know what to expect.

• 3. Re: Save or export all-vector graphic created in Fireworks CS5 as SVG
              dwingp Level 1

HALLELUJAH! I downloaded and installed Aaron's "Export SVG" extension and was able to save my graphic successfully as an SVG file! Only two things didn't translate: text which was attached to a path, and a gradient. But for my purposes, that wasn't a huge deal. The laser cutter for whom I was creating this vector file asked me to just detach the font from the path,  convert the text itself to paths, and provide the path I wanted to attach the text to and then she would re-attach it. There was only one gradient, and it just translated as a flat fill, but that was fine too because I was able to explain what I wanted to achieve in the laser etch (which I was just trying to simulate with a gradient), so I didn't need that either. What I DID need were accurate placement of colored lines to denote where to cut and where to etch.

FYI (for any other forum readers using this), I have Mac OSX 10.6.8 and Fireworks CS5.

Also FYI, there is a free vector graphics app called "Inkscape" which I used to open up and confirm the SVG files were openable, and seemed correct (with the exceptions stated above). I am a 100% Mac person, and alas Inkscape has a very "PC" user interface, so I much prefer using Fireworks to make my vector graphics. But I'm fine using it to proof and see that my SVG files saved from Fireworks worked. ;-)

I am not an expert in any of this, but I wanted to share what worked for me, in case it helps anyone else!