• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player installer on Mac asks user to stop DashboardClient

New Here ,
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had been trying off-and-on to install a more recent version of Flash Player on my Mac (OS X 10.8.4) for several weeks. I am using Safari and Chrome browsers, but neither of them were running during installation. The problem is that it always gave a message asking that DashboardClient be stopped, but the installer provided no suggestions on how to do this, and the document at http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/installation-problems-flash-player-mac.html doesn't cover the situation.

I read in several threads here that the fix was to start Activity Monitor and to kill DashboardClient. The first problem with this advice is that "DashboardClient" isn't listed as a running task in Activity Monitor, although "Dashboard" is. The second problem is that on this system there are three instances of Dashboard listed under Dock, and killing any of them immediately results in a new instance.

What finally worked was killing Dock itself, then immediately clicking on Retry in the Flash Player installer. I did miss the live presentation I was trying to watch, but the new version is installed.

Could some help on what to do when a user gets the message about DashboardClient be added to the Mac version of the Flash Player installation problems document? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 95630,

Thank you for the information.  It's strange that after you're closing the Dashboard, that it creates an new instance.  It should be the responibility of the operating system to close intended applications.

For more information about the DashboardClient, I found this link that would be a good reference. http://www.macinside.info/process.php?name=DashboardClient

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2013 Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had luck by simply restarting my Mac, and then installing Adobe Flash after restart.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2013 Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with dandab. Running 10.8.4 and the ONLY place Dashboard shows at all is through "Mission Control" and I have to open that before I can even access it.

You've got something configured wrong that causes it to relaunch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I get the same message in Yosemite.  And there's no "dashboard client" task running. some "dsb" tasks--is that the mnemonic version (dsb) of DaShBoard? Is Adobe waging war against Macs? Like, you can't download FileMakerPro-Go from the app store, because Mac "has not heard" of FileMaker as a developer of Macintosh software--no, wait a minute, this would be war between APPLE and FileMakerPro, a lowly subsidiary of AppleCor(p).

This may be unrelated, but I get nothing but a solid black box (or screen if I go full-screen) trying to play ComedyCentral Daily Show bits. Looks like the episode is loading, but then the load just freezes--no fade-to-black here--just Leap To Black And Die.  boo, hiss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines