9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2013 6:07 PM by Peter Spier

InDesign Crashing!

plainclothes3434 Level 1

HELP! InDesign keeps crashing on me. I has CS6 and have been working on the same few files consistently for weeks now but all of a sudden the program repeatedly crashing when I simply scroll through the file. I have been on the phone with Apple and Adobe all morning without resolution. Anyone out there have a similar issue??

• 1. Re: InDesign Crashing!
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

How often do you do a Save AS? Are you recycling old files, like magazine issues, and doing a Save as for the next issue, updating files from a previous version of ID, or are these "new" files just for this project?

Have you tried an export to .idml? see Remove minor corruption by exporting

Finally, if you post your crash report on Pastebin.com and put a link here we can take a look and see if there are any clues.

• 2. Re: InDesign Crashing!
            plainclothes3434 Level 1

The files are a couple months old and I have been resaving one file, last night I tried to 'save as' and make three smaller files for ease of use but now each file will crash in all the same way. I noticed that when I scroll up in my layouts, once I reach layout 6-7 is crashes immediately.. No new photos or graphics have been introduced so I'm not sure why it would be crashing now and not last week..

I cleared all the 'preferences' while on the phone with Adobe, no change.. Adobe's last resort was to have me uninstall, then reinstal the entire Creative Suite. I'll do that but I am concerned that the reason for he crash is the file it self, therefore it would be a waste of time. If it IS my file then how do I find out what the specific cause is, then how do I get the info out into a new file so I continue to work on this project?

I will post my crash report.. thanks fr your help.

• 3. Re: InDesign Crashing!

Reinstalling is very unlikely to solve the problem, which is almost certainly file related. Do other files work?

• 4. Re: InDesign Crashing!
                plainclothes3434 Level 1

I have started a new file and am able to copy SOME stuff fromt he original file over... but when I scroll up to the first few layouts it crashes immediately.. the stuff I can't see is the original info/photos, why on earth would it be doing this? I'm worried I will never be able to retrieve this info. And it will happen again..

• 5. Re: InDesign Crashing!

I want to know if a file that has NOTHING to do with this one crashes. If other files work that rules out a problem with ID and proves a problem in the file.

• 6. Re: InDesign Crashing!
                    plainclothes3434 Level 1

So far I have opened two other files and put in data without any issue.. It appears to be an problem with the first 3 layouts of the one file.

• 7. Re: InDesign Crashing!

Try opeing as a copy (in the open file dialog). If that doesn't work, and export to .idml doesn't work, you'll have to rebuild. I'm on my way out the door, but I'll get back to you later this evening.

• 8. Re: InDesign Crashing!
                        plainclothes3434 Level 1

Thanks. I have just started to rebuild the file... fingers crossed that that whatever made the original file crash doesnt repeat!

• 9. Re: InDesign Crashing!

One thing that you might want to do is make a copy of the of the file, then delete the pages that you think are causing the crash. It could be a corrupt text frame, and deleting the pages would get rid of it. Easier to add back two or three pages than build the whole file again.