6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2013 1:24 AM by Trevor.Dennis

Resizing text box

Bootyfuzz

For years I was using an older version of PS. I am new to CS6 Photoshop. I cannot figure out how to resize a text box. When I chose the box with the text tool, the borders of the box do not show up. To see the border I must hold down the option + command keys. I cannot change the size of the box without scaling the type.

Also, when I click the box with the move tool, I cannot see the border of the text box.

I cannot even copy the text box

What the hell am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Resizing text box
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

You should be able to double click the text layer to show the box with its handles, and resize at will.  If you want to move the text while seeing the box limits, don't use the move tool - double click the text layer and move the cursor outside the box.  You'll the be able to move the text while seeing the box.

• 2. Re: Resizing text box
            Bootyfuzz Level 1

Thanks for responding Trevor.

I have tried double clicking the text box with nemerous tools (including the text tool) and the text box is not visible. I am able to move the box but cannot saee the borders of the box whatsoever.

This is beyond frustrating.

• 3. Re: Resizing text box
              Ronald Keller Level 4

I suppose you have made point text not paragraph text.

The first is created by clicking directly on the layer and type. The second is created by dragging a textbox first using the text tool and then start typing.

The latter method allows resizing the text box without scaling the text.

• 4. Re: Resizing text box

Ronald Keller wrote:

I suppose you have made point text not paragraph text.

The first is created by clicking directly on the layer and type. The second is created by dragging a textbox first using the text tool and then start typing.

The latter method allows resizing the text box without scaling the text.

I'm betting you are right Ronald.  So many text layout applications MUST have a text box or bounding object to contain the text.  A person new to Photoshop, but used to those other apps, could easily assume that there must be a text box by default.  I suspect most photoshop users rarely, if ever, use a text box because if you need one, it is generally better to use another app like InDesign or Illustrator.

Yep.  Just tried laying out some text with hard returns.  OK the text, then double click to make it active again.  Cmd Opt (as Booty mentioned in the OP) brings up a bounding box with handles, but they are the Free Transform handles, and nothing to do with a text box.

Booty, if you want to fix this, double click the text layer as before, and use Cmd c to copy the text.  Turn off the existing type layer. With the Type tool still selected, drag out a new text box, and paste the copied yext into it with Cmd v.  Drag the text box nice and wide so you can see where the hard returns are, and delete them.  You can now reshape your paragraph.

• 5. Re: Resizing text box
                  Ronald Keller Level 4

You are right of course.

But there is an easier way: in the Type menu you can convert Point type to Paragraph type (and vice versa). At least in CS6, I can't remember if this was possible in earlier versions...

• 6. Re: Resizing text box

Yep, works fine in CS6, and it evens takes out the hard returns so you can reformat the paragraph.