3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2013 3:33 PM by the_wine_snob

Recording a long block of narration

DJ Sures Level 1

Hi,

I'm new to Premiere Elements, but I've been cutting on Avid for about 20 years.  I'd like to record a long piece of narration and then cut the video to match the narration, rather than trying to cut together pictures and recording narration clip by clip.

I can't find any info on simply recording a long piece of narration... does anyone know how to do this?

Does Premiere Elements have any issue holding sync or smoothly playing back long clips?

Thanks,

• 2. Re: Recording a long block of narration
          A.T. Romano Level 7

DJ Sures

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what operating system is it running?

It is easy enough to record a narration with Premiere Elements with its Narration feature, but for long narrations and planned editing of that narration I would worry about narration track locking and other mishaps that have been reported in recent threads here. The best description that those users gave was the problem for them was associated with a lot of work and involvement on the narration track. I have not experienced the problem first hand.

So, I would second John T. Smith's suggestion to use Audacity unless you want to explore and experiment with Premiere Elements narration on a very mini scale test run basis.

ATR

• 3. Re: Recording a long block of narration
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For most of my narration, I use Adobe Audition, edit that Audio file, as needed, then Save to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, for Import into Premiere. Audacity will allow about the same functionality, though I have never used it for such.

I agree with ATR, regarding potential issues with the Narration Track in PrE. Though I have never had any of the issues, I have to admit that, based on the reports here, do not use it very often - usually just for testing. However, even if recording to the Narration Track, it is simple to just Move that Clip, when recorded, to an empty Audio Track, such as Audio 2.

When you say long, can you give us an indication of just how long you anticipate? In general terms, the Duration will not be that much of a consideration, so long as one's destination HDD is formatted to NTFS. If FAT-32, then one can run into the limitation of file size, being about 4GB only.

Good luck,

Hunt