6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2013 8:12 AM by JEShort01

DDR3 1866 vs DDR3 2133, is the difference in price worth the increased performance for Pr and AE?

NaturalAlias Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I just ordered an ASUS P9X79 Pro MoBo. It can hold 8 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR3 2400(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/106 g skills 32gb 4x8gb kits  (Z series works best with x79) got for $254 at 1866 and $284 fr 2133.  A few questions

1) With my 3930k i will be OC the cpu a little, so does that automatically mean go for 2133?

2) Is the performance difference such that merits the extra cost and OC? (what do any benchmarks say?)

Thanks for the input,

Jay

• 1. Re: DDR3 1866 vs DDR3 2133, is the difference in price worth the increased performance for Pr and AE?
          JEShort01 Level 4

1. No, in fact anything over 1600Mhz starts to have pretty significant diminishing returns

2. No. the 3930k is "unlocked" so you will not be encumbered with the OC'ing challanges of locked CPUs

The 3930k rocks - think more than overclock a little - think over clock more than a little!

Jim

• 2. Re: DDR3 1866 vs DDR3 2133, is the difference in price worth the increased performance for Pr and AE?
            NaturalAlias Level 1

Jim,

from what I gather I should

1- Over Clock the daylights out of my 3930k lol (Im getting the h100i liquid for that purpose) and

2- Don't bother with 2133 or 1866 ram? Just stick to 1600?

• 3. Re: DDR3 1866 vs DDR3 2133, is the difference in price worth the increased performance for Pr and AE?
              JEShort01 Level 4

Faster than 1600 does have gains, but they are pretty marginal.

So, I would say it depends. What is the current cost your are looking at for each option?

It seems you ignored my previous suggestion to go air and save $$$ or go with the H110; just curious - why are you sticking with the H100?

BTW, if you really want to OC and keep the temps / noise down, go with real H2o cooling! (i.e. pump, 1/2" tubing, radiator, fans, etc.) Push/pull air will give you probably just about as much cooling as the H100.

Regards,

Jim

• 4. Re: DDR3 1866 vs DDR3 2133, is the difference in price worth the increased performance for Pr and AE?
                NaturalAlias Level 1

1) These are the prices (4x8gb) Z series

1600 - 239.99

1866 - 254.99

2133 - 284.99

2)I definitely made a note of the h110, with little time today I have focused on MoBo and ram research first. Once that's done then I am taking a closer look at the cooling.

But.. since you mentioned it. can I do both h100i or h110- and use the case fans and whatever I need to also do a push pull with liquid cooling?

I thought liquid was supposed to be the best how can fans like evo 212 even compare to any of the liquid cooling options? Seems so odd

I don't really want to do the full h20 cooling right now, I would like the best self enclosed, that's affordable and maybe a few fans in the right place to help keep everything going nicely. 

*Not much gaming at all on this PC, it's to really learn Pr, AE (all CS6 Production), a little 4D, and to keep upgrading as I learn and do more. 

Thank you for your help, the input as been great and I apreciate it a lot!

• 5. Re: DDR3 1866 vs DDR3 2133, is the difference in price worth the increased performance for Pr and AE?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Did you know that Logistics and Video Editing are very similar?

Logistics: The detailed coordination of a large and complex operation.

Well, video editing is the same.

It requires the detailed coordination of:

⦁    Importing source material

⦁    Editing the source material, applying transitions and effects

⦁    Exporting the final results

Pretty simple, up to now isn't it? So what is this all about?

Hang on for a moment and I'll try to explain.

First we have to make a detour to a very popular nightclub, which attracts lots of people every day. What is the main profit generating part of a successful nightclub? Correct, it is the bar. It is the Common Profit Unit, the CPU. The greater the efficiency, the less beer is lost on draughts, the more accurate  the fill rate of a glass is, the capacity of the cellar installation, the speed with which one can fill orders,  they all directly influence the bottom line. And it helps quite a bit if the bar, CPU has a Sustainable Service Entry (SSE) close by in order to restock the bar.

Of course, it makes a huge difference how the dance floor, the music, the lighting and audio-visual effects are used, because that determines how people perceive this nightclub. If the dance floor is too small it will be detrimental to business, if it is too big, people will feel abandoned, if the music does not sound good it will hamper business, because people will leave earlier, instead of ordering another drink. This is the General Public Unit, or GPU.

The floorplan is of course critical for the operation of this nightclub. If people have to walk great distances to get to the bar (CPU) for orders from the dance floor (GPU), if the physical space limits the numbers of visitors, that all has a negative effect on the bottom line. It always boils down to More Entries, More Orders and Reduced Yawns, in short MEMORY.

But first you have to get the customers in and keep them inside as long as possible. All these customers waiting to get into the nightclub are your Dear And Trusted Accounts, your DATA. They form a long waiting line in front of the door, where a doorman arranges Sequentially Allowed Turnstile Access (SATA).  Obviously, the more doors you have for access, the shorter the waiting lines and the faster your customers, DATA can reach the bar, CPU to order a drink and then mingle among the other guests. MEMORY.

However, people come to the nightclub in order to have a relaxing and enjoyable evening, so from time to time they want to use Dedicated In-house Seating Comfort, DISC to get their breadth after a long dance, enjoy their drinks in comfort and wait for the next piece of nice music to dance again.  With obesitas rampant, the seats, DISC, need to be large and roomy, not small portable seats that offer no comfort at all. Now, that nightclub offers a Complete Area for Serious Enjoyment, CASE, and the bigger the area, the more room there is for different seating places, DISCS.

If the clientele often comprises VIP's and celebrities that require special attention and service, it might be a good idea to have a Reserved Area with Immaculate Decorum, RAID, to cater for these special guests.

Now, the thing to keep in mind for a nightclub to be successful and profitable, they have to keep things in balance, keep things in perspective and carefully consider what logistical requirements there are, depending on the location and clientele.

If the club is located in a small county in a rural area, the demands are far different than for a club at the corner of 48th St. and 5th Avenue in NY. Different crowds of people, different numbers of VIP's and celebrities, different square foot prices for the size of the club, different requirements for the bar, different drinking habits, beer versus cocktails, different wine tastes and different prices for drinks, different audio-visual requirements, different kind of music and different seating arrangements.

There is not a single recipe to make the nightclub successful and profitable, but with some careful analysis and common sense, it is not very hard to come up with the  correct business plan for this club.

So where is the similarity with video editing? All over the place...

With some imagination - and we are all creative people around here - you can easily recognize the similarities between the logistics of a nightclub and a NLE system for editing.

So, the message is that you need to carefully consider the nature of your clientele and the location where the club is, to decide what you need to invest in, to make it a profitable business.

1. Regarding the speed of memory. Yes, there is a price difference, so is it worth the extra investment? The performance difference is measured in single digit % and then probably in rather low single digits, like 2 - 3%. Remember, memory is usually something you buy only once for a system and never change it again. You can expand it in certain cases, but it is not economically wise to throw out existing memory, which will be hard to sell, and getting all new memory later.

It is somewhat similar to the choice of parquetry for the dance floor. When you know beforehand that you will be expanding the dance floor in the future, you already know that the choice you make now, will have repercussions in the future. If you have to tear out the old parquetry and have to install all new parquetry in the future, that makes it much more expensive than choosing better and more expensive parquetry now and simply adding the same to the expanded dancefloor.

2. Liquid cooling: Read Cooling. Basically the H100 or H110 require two fans for the radiator. An air cooler with a push-pull configuration also requires two fans. There is no discernible difference in cooling capacity, unless you go to extreme overclocking, like 5.0+ GHz. There is no noise difference between using two fans for the radiator or using two fans for the air cooler, only the location of the fans is different.

Liquid cooling is much more effective if it is nitro based, like EKWB liquid nitrogen based cooler. But that still leaves the cooling of the video card, the mechanical disks, the memory and a possible raid controller to be managed.

That would be somewhat like installing a climate control system in the nightclub, that is the equivalent on the one used in the Utah Olympic Oval. Generally overkill and a severe overhead.

• 6. Re: DDR3 1866 vs DDR3 2133, is the difference in price worth the increased performance for Pr and AE?
                    JEShort01 Level 4

Regarding 1 - Wow, tough call! I would go for the 2133 since it is not hundreds of dollars more than 1600 now (like it was about a year ago). If your budget is really tight, 1600 will certainly serve you well. The faster RAM may need more attention to cooling too; keep that in mind.

Regarding 2 - Full system loop cooling (water, not nitrogen, etc.) is VERY effective and a PITA to design, build, and maintain. I personally went that way with my 6-core build (OC'd i7-970) and have been very happy with how silent it is. My GTX video card is water cooled too; that is most likely your sound level "weakest link" with your build as planned. All-in-one solutions like the H110 and Swiftech's very effective H220 have really closed the performance gap a lot vs. the custom loop solutions. If you choose 212 evo, you would likely want push/pull for OC'ing; for the H110, I'd vote no for push/pull.

Here is what I feel is an excellent link for cpu temp. for a large list of cooling solutions including custom loop, closed loop, and air:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5245/corsair-hydro-series-h110-aio-cpu-cooler-review/inde x7.html

Regards,

Jim