4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2007 9:56 AM by lmarden

Creating & Combining Multiple Projects Query

gsmichaels Level 1
      My IT team has asked me to determine whether I can create and merge multiple projects to reduce likelihood of "issues" resulting from use and loading of very large files. Currently, my project is at 93 MB. I anticipate that it will roughly triple in size within the next year to year and a half.

I've never had to do this before and I just need a bit of reassurance that this can be done, easily, without creating a huge strudel.
      I can across two tech notes indicating different approaches to this challenge: ID: rb_11942 and rb_1940 ( http://www.adobe.com/go/rb_1940).

There will undoubtedly be a large number of cross project links and a substantial index (when all projects are combined).

I would appreciate any input you might have to offer before I launch this effort.
        • 1. Re: Creating & Combining Multiple Projects Query
          lmarden Level 2
          Hmmm - how do I put this diplomatically? Let's try this - would the IT guys accept your guidance on how to configure their server farm? Nope. So why do they (off the diplomatic path for just a wee bit) stick their noses into how you do your job? (ok, back on).

I can only offer my experience here. I have a knowledge base compiled in WebHelp, for which the project environment is almost a GB. My compiled Help for our application is produced from an environment that contains about 133MB.

Given that I have a fairly fiesty laptop, with 2GB RAM and oodles of disk space, where both projects reside, I have few issues with working in "large" projects. Both deliverables compile and / or publish in about 5 minutes or less.

I guess my point is, if it ain't broke, don't make it more difficult to work with just because an IT guy says so. Skip the strudel.

(I love my IT guys, by the way - they don't mess around with what I do, and listen patiently when I tell them what equipment they should buy - LOL)
          • 2. Re: Creating & Combining Multiple Projects Query
            Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
            One of the points of having merged projects is to keep the size of each individual project down and avoid issues, at the production end at least.

On the output side, I wonder how many files the application has? That is probably a similar argument to Imarden's point.

How many files are you talking about?

• 3. Re: Creating & Combining Multiple Projects Query
              gsmichaels Level 1
              According to my Properties window for the project in question, I currently have 571 files in seven folders. By relocating some .bak files, I've brought the total size down to 59 MB.

These two totals were generated over eight months. I anticipate tripling the amount of documentation, at a minimum, before I reach completion. The end product is intended, primarily, for use by in-house "clients."

My PC has 1 Gig Ram. Loading/opening the app has not been a problem to date.

Thank you for your interest. I hope this additional information will clarify the situation.

glenn

• 4. Re: Creating & Combining Multiple Projects Query
                lmarden Level 2
                All kidding aside, I do not see an issue with the size of your project now or future.

Really - especially since haven't done it before, why go through the process to split and then merge content from multiple projects when the size issue just isn't one.