12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2013 10:33 AM by the_wine_snob RSS

Premiere Elements 11 won't open

rms1908

Installed Premiere Elements 11 but it won't open. Have uninstalled and reinstalled but still no luck.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't open
          Mylenium CommunityMVP

What system? What errors/ warnings? What is happening (or not)? You need to explain better and provide more info.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't open
            rms1908 Community Member

Sorry....Absolutely nothing happens when I click the desktop icon, or try to open via the start menu, or right click on the icon and open that way. Have uninstalled and reinstalled but still not opening.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
            Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
            Other OS Description  Not Available
            OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
            System Manufacturer Acer
            System Model Aspire 5750
            System Type x64-based PC
            Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2310M CPU @ 2.10GHz, 2100 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
            BIOS Version/Date Acer V1.20, 16/03/2012
            SMBIOS Version 2.7
            Windows Directory C:\Windows
            System Directory C:\Windows\system32
            Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
            Locale Australia
            Time Zone AUS Eastern Standard Time
            Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
            Total Physical Memory 3.85 GB
            Available Physical Memory 1.99 GB
            Total Virtual Memory 7.71 GB
            Available Virtual Memory 5.68 GB
            Page File Space 3.85 GB
            Page File C:\pagefile.sys

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't open
              Jeff A Wright Employee Hosts

Moving this discussion to the Premiere Elements forum.

RMS1908 I would recommend reviewing your Event Viewer when trying to open Premiere Elements.  Please see Identify software conflicts | System log | Windows Vista - http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/identify-software-conflicts-system-log.html for more details.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't open
                the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

One prime bit of info that I did not see in the list was the video card.

What is the make/model of your video card/display adapter?

What is the number and date of the installed video driver?

An obsolete video driver is one of the primary causes for PrE not launching, so we probably need to get that out of the way early on.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't open
                  rms1908 Community Member

No luck with this either. I installed it on another computer that is older and it works ok.....still can't open on my computer. Running Norton anti virus on my computer. Could that be causing the problem?

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't open
                    rms1908 Community Member

Video Card is Intel (r) HD Graphics Family version 8.15.10.2342 Date 25/03/11.

I ran the Update Driver and it said it is up to date. I installed it on another computer that is older and it works ok...still won;t open on mine

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't open

First, thank you for that information.

Now, you say:

I ran the Update Driver and it said it is up to date. I installed it on another computer that is older and it works ok...still won;t open on mine

I would first go to the Intel Web site, and manually check for a more recent update. 2011 is a very long time ago. I find that the OS's driver update utility, or any driver utility, will likely be very out of date. For most programs, that does not usually matter much, but PrE really needs to interface VERY critically with that video driver.

If you have a Dell, Lenovo, HP, or other major mfgr's. computer, I would also check their Web site, as some of those companies will rewrap the video drivers for their specific version of the hardware and their specific version of the OS.

As for PrE running on one computer, but not the other, I would look closely to see if those two computers have the exact same video card, and video driver. If they do, then I would check to see if they each have the exact same Windows updates and hot-fixes applied. Even simple OS updates CAN render the video driver obsolete. That is why the major video chip companies update their drivers so very often. Intel, while making good chips, has not been nearly as good with driver support, as nVidia, or AMD/ATI. As mentioned above, the video driver is not so important for general computing (Intel's target), but programs, such as PrE, extreme games, or 3D work, require much more from the video driver - other programs will usually still run pretty well, but not programs, like PrE.

Good luck, and hope that Intel has a newer driver for you, that solves your issue.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't open
                        vipul vaibhav Employee Hosts

Hi RMS1908

As asked by Jeff, could you check your event viewer and let us know the fault module mentioned under Error for Premiere Elements.

It will help us in providing suggestions.

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't open
                          rms1908 Community Member

Hi

I will have a look when i get home tonight. I couldnt really see anything but may have been looking at the wrong thing

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't open
                            rms1908 Community Member

I went to Event Viewer - windows logs - system and there are no errors. I have checked the video card driver and it is up to date. It runs on an older computer than this one ok. Have also removed Norton and still no luck

Thanks

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't open
                              nealeh Community Member

According to Intels web site the latest drivers are 15.28.15.306 dated 21st March 2013. If you try those, create a System Restore point first - it is possible that Acer customise the generic drivers so a Restore point makes it easier to revert should you wish to do so.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 11 won't open

It runs on an older computer than this one ok.

Does that older computer have the same exact video chip/card, and the same exact video driver, as the computer, on which the program will not run?

Also, is the OS the exact same on both computers, and have the exact same updates and hot-fixes been applied to both?

Good luck, and I hope that Neale's video driver will do the trick. Also, do check the Acer Web site, to see if they offer a re-wrapped, updated driver for the Intel Graphics chip.

Hunt