5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2013 12:23 PM by dswift743

Can PE capture at 24 fps

dswift743

I'm filming with a Sony FX1000.  I've set it to 24p because I've read that this gives the video a more filmic look.  Mind you, the technical part of things is not my strong suit, but I'm learning.  Many hours into a long documentary project, it just kept gnawing at me that the video didn't look like it should.  At first I suspected the camera so I've been over on a Sony forum for a while, but it turns out the issues centers on capture: PE is capturing my footage at 29.97 fps, and is dropping frames.  I can't find any way to change this setting.  I've done research, and it looks like Premiere Pro can capture at 24 p., but before I risk my marriage, I thought I'd make sure my thinking is straight here.  Can PE capture 24p.?

Many thanks!

Doug

• 1. Re: Can PE capture at 24 fps
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Doug

What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?

How do you intend to export this footage once you have it in Premiere Elements and edited?

Import....you or the project needs to set the project preset so that it matches the properties of your source media....if you have 1080p24, then you go for one of the DSLR choices for the appropriate region (NTSC or PAL).

If your goal is burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc, there is no 24 fps, the burn to is 1920 x 1080 display @ 29.97 (NTSC) or 25 (PAL) interlaced frames per second.

If your goal is export to file saved to hard drive, then look at (depending on your Premiere Elements version) the Publish+Share or Share/Computer/AVCHD choices.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can PE capture at 24 fps
            dswift743 Level 1

A.T.

I have PE 10, and I'm using Windows 7.

This is a very large project, so I am saving "sessions" to computer in .avi format.  When I edit the full film, I'll burn to DVD.

On Import, I don't see the option of matching project preset to source media.  I'm shooting in 24p., and the only capture option I see is 29.97.

On export, in avi. format I again see no option other than 29.97.  I see if I choose Windows Media it swithces to p25.  But isn't the quality much less?  I didn't know about all the options in AVCHD, and I see several in 24 p.  Unfortunatly none of them fit my camera's settings.  I chose the one that was closest, but the results gave me vertigo.

It may be worth noting that I did shoot the other day in 30 p. and it looked great.  So I could just swith now.  But I already have 10 hours shot in 24 p., so what would I do with that?  Plus, wouldn't I have a different look with the two kinds of filming?  I figure to shoot another 20 hours.

Thanks for your help!

Doug

• 3. Re: Can PE capture at 24 fps
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

These may be for PE11, but reading might help

Importing Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1065281

-and project settings http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1112086

PS - you only "capture" video from a tape camera

Glossary of terms http://www.manifest-tech.com/links/video_terms.htm (page down, several times, to see a LOT of information)

• 4. Re: Can PE capture at 24 fps
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Doug

Thanks for the additional information. I generalized in my initial response and did not take a good look at the camera that you said that you were using. I have now.

Your camera is a Sony HDR-FX1000 HD MiniDV camcorder which has the feature of offering HDV @ 24 progressive frames per second. From what I have read, the camera converts the 24p to 60i (30 frames per second), with a 2-3 Pulldown for the 24p. HDV and DV data capture firewire is always characterized by 29.97 interlaced frames per second in spite of your source here. You have found that out.

If you right click the monitor and select Playback Settings, you will see an option there for "24p Conversion Method". I did some searching on that. From what I understand that does not appear to be an answer here since what I read includes

converts 24p footage to standard frame rate by either of two methods

a. Repeat Frames (ABBCD)..is said to have motion flaws but not interlaced artifacts issues

b. Interlaced Frame (2:3:3:2)..is said offer "smoother" but can present with interlaced artifacts

Based on what I have read, I see no way of removing the 2-3 Pulldown for 24p to change the firewire 29.97 back to 24.00 in the editing area of the program.

As for your export...Share/Computer/AVI, if you select Microsoft AVI and then click on Advanced Button/Video Tab, I see a setting for 24 frames per second. What Video Codec are you selecting? What are selecting under Share/Computer/AVI?

If you select Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = NTSC DVD Standard, under the Advanced Button/Video Tab, you should have a choice of 23.976 or 29.97.

My point in all this is that there are opportunities for a 24p export.

Here is where I am need to focus in....you say that you have a large project derived from HDV (p24) data capture firewire into Premiere Elements where it is presenting as 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 at 29.97 interlaced frames per second. And, you are dealing with the large project by exporting segments of it to incorporate into the grand project. If so, why an issue with the export frame rate of the export of these segments. Your DVD-VIDEO is going to be 720 x 480 @ 29.97 frames per second be it standard or standard widescreen.

So, I would think that you could export your segments as

a. Share/Computer/AVI, with the DV NTSC Standard or DV NTSC Widescreen preset (29.97 frames per second)

b. Share/Computer/MPEG, with the NTSC Standard DVD or NTSC Widescreen DVD (29.97 frames per second)

then import the segments into a Premiere Elements NTSC DV Standard or NTSC DV Widescreen project for burn to DVD (standard or widescreen).

As for the 24p footage that you have that is captured firewire into Premiere Elements as 29.97 frames per second...if you have not already, please consider what I have written and explore and experiment with the settngs under the advanced button of the preset. Another consideration...HDV = 1440 x 1080 with a 16:9 flag that stretches it to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding; whereas no stretching when your source is 1920 x 1080. For project preset setting, consider the HDV settings; but for export consider the 1920 x 1080 when appropriate. The choice of the 1920 x 1080 at export in this case avoids the dependancy on the player for reading a 16:9 flag.

The above is my take on the matter. Please let me know if I have misinterpreted what you are asking.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...after I wrote the above, I came across an online article on 24p and Canon, but the information in that thread might prove of interest.

http://eugenia.queru.com/2008/01/04/canon-avchd-24p-pulldown-removal/

• 5. Re: Can PE capture at 24 fps
                  dswift743 Level 1

Thanks, A.T.:

Lot's of good info.  One thing: I didn't mention that I am filming in DV.  The computer I was using when I started this project crashed with HDV.  I have just rectified that problem with a new computer.  But switch to HDV in mid project?  I digress.

The attachment you provided was very helpful, especially this line: "Please note that Premiere Elements, Pinnacle, Magix Movie Edit Pro and Ulead don’t support true 24p so avoid these for 24p editing."  About the same time you sent this, one of the guys on the DV forum took one of my clips and successfully removed the pulldown with Composer, so now I know I don't have nine hours of garbage, which is a relief.  But where to go from here?

I do see the MPEG offers 24 in export, but only in HD. 

I'd be willing to consider stepping up to Premiere Pro but I can't find any info that definitively states that it would handle DV 24 p without pulldown, either.

Thanks again for all your help.

Doug