2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2013 12:18 PM by IsThereAScreenName

Is there a typical reason for clips not playing in the Organizer but playing in Editor?  Trial....

IsThereAScreenName

Slowly working my way through using the application but stumped by this one, and searching hasn't revealed an answer.

I have some clips imported from my camera.  They are 1920x1080i and the thing is, when I first imported them into the organiser they did play - me and the wife watched them in the organiser.  Now, for some reason, they won't play.  Info:

• Used to play in the Organiser, now don't.
      • Will play in Premier Elements editor.
      • I do have a project created in the editor containing the clips.
      • Green line above the clips in the editor.
      • Clips all have thumbnails in the organiser
      • When I press play, it launches the preview(?) window and I see the first frame.
      • The clip won't advance beyond frame 1.
      • There is no audio (not surprising really as the video won't play.)
      • Affects all my clips although I do have very few.
      • File types are m4v and MTS.

Info about one of the files:

• CODEC: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (h.264)
      • RESOLUTION: 1920x1080
      • FRAME RATE: 50
      • DECODED FORMAT: Planar 4:2:0 YUV
      • AUDIO CODEC: A52 audio (aka AC3) (a52)
      • Stereo
      • 48000 Hz
      • 256 kb/s

I was wondering if it was because I have the trial version, although that wouldn't explain why they did play when I first imported them.

Regards

Andrew

• 1. Re: Is there a typical reason for clips not playing in the Organizer but playing in Editor?  Trial....
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Andrew

My usual disclaimer...I am strictly an Elements Windows user...and I believe you are working on Premiere Elements 11 Mac

Based on your question being a "it worked before but not now" type, I suspect that your issue does not go to use of a tryout version and probably not codec matter. Focus "suspect".

With the assurance that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 11 Mac, you might consider ruling in or out a corrupted Elements Organizer preference file, the psa.prf. I have no idea where it would be in Mac, but for Windows 7 or 8 64 bit, it is found in the path:

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in that Organizer folder is the psa.prf file that I delete (some just disable it by renaming the file to something like psa.prfOLD)

And, as usual, to see the path, I need to be working with Folder Options Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives On.

Have you tried to delete one of these problem videos from the Organizer (not the hard drive) and then bringing it back into the Organizer from its hard drive save location?

Another maneuver might be to delete the problem video from the Organizer. Open a Premiere Elements project, import the problem video from its hard drive save location via Add Media/Project Assets. Then click on the Organizer Tab at the bottom of the Premiere Elements 11 workspace to open the Elements Organizer. A copy of the import should have been placed there automatically. Is it there? And, how does it play back now?

Just a few thoughts for now.

ATR

• 2. Re: Is there a typical reason for clips not playing in the Organizer but playing in Editor?  Trial....
            IsThereAScreenName Level 1

Thanks...sorted by renaming the preferences file as suggested (I tried removing from catalogue and readding but that didn't work.)  For the record, on a MAC, this is located at:

//Users/[User Name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Elements Organizer/[Version]/Organizer/psa.prf

The file is re-created on exit from Organiser.

I suppose an obvious question is, why would it do that and how frequently?  Given the initial problems I've had getting it going, perhaps it's just one of those things.  I'll use the app for a few days and see how it goes.  Having restarted

On the positive side, I've now created a working video with titles and transitions etc so things are looking rosy.

Thanks for your help over the last few days ATR, I really appreciate it.  You've got me off the ground and running and I was ready to give up if you hadn't given me the useful pointers.

Regards

Andrew