5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2007 12:27 PM by MBKrebs

Multiple Sound Clips

MBKrebs
      Simple problem, and I hope there's a simple fix . . . I have a sound clip running at the start of a Flash presentation. At some point, I need the first one to stop so I can start the second one. I know there's a difference between "stream" and "event" and all, but I'm having no success getting the first one to stop so it doesn't play over the second one.

Suggestions?
        • 1. Re: Multiple Sound Clips
          Level 7
          MBKrebs,

> At some point, I need the first one to stop so I can start
          > the second one. I know there's a difference between "stream"
          > and "event" and all, but I'm having no success getting the first
          > one to stop so it doesn't play over the second one.

Are you using ActionScript to play these sound clips, or are these an
          example of audio assets dragged to the timeline? I'm asking because your
          answer will decide what avenue I take when I make my reply.

David Stiller
          Adobe Community Expert
          Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: Multiple Sound Clips
            kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            use the sound class to create your sound instance. you can then control it more precisely using the sound class methods and properties.
            • 3. Re: Multiple Sound Clips
              MBKrebs Level 1
              They were audio assets dragged to the timeline. For some reason, I can't seem to get a handle on using sound clips – I think I know what I'm doing, but then it doesn't seem to work like it's supposed to.
              • 4. Re: Multiple Sound Clips
                Level 7
                MBKrebs,

> They were audio assets dragged to the timeline.

In that case, think of it like this: Stream sounds are locked in-step
                with the timeline they're in. Let's say you drag an asset from the Library,
                put it in a frame, and configure it as Stream. Let's say the audio clip is
                30 seconds long. Your movie is set for 12fps, so 30 seconds would require
                360 frames to fully play the audio. If your span of frames is shorter than
                that, the audio will stop early. If the playhead stops before the full span
                of frames, the audio will stop earlier (and reconvene when the playhead
                starts again).

If that same audio's entry keyframe is configured as Event, the sound
                only needs a single frame to play. Big difference!

Stream sounds are often used for lip synching, as as for cartoons.
                There's no way to guarantee such tight synching with Event sounds. The
                timeline will play as fast as it can on a given user's machine, and might
                fall out of step with the audio.

> For some reason, I can't seem to get a handle on using
                > sound clips ? I think I know what I'm doing, but then
                > it doesn't seem to work like it's supposed to.

The ActionScript route isn't especially hard, but it differs based on
                what version of ActionScript you're using. If you're interested in that,
                let me know.

Totally aside, your name reminds me of someone I knew, years ago, in
                Manitoba (MB), whose last name was Krebs.

David Stiller
                Co-author, Foundation Flash CS3 for Designers
                http://tinyurl.com/2k29mj
                "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 5. Re: Multiple Sound Clips
                  MBKrebs Level 1
                  Thanks for the help; your explanation makes sense, too.

Not the Manitoba (MB) Krebs you're thinking of, unfortunately; I'm from Pennsylvania in the US. (But I have visited the Haliburton Highlands. Beautiful country up there!)