6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2013 12:04 AM by garymanilow

Fixing blemishes (reflection of "record" light)

garymanilow Level 1

Hi,

Not sure if this is possible but in the video I made there are a few seconds where you can see the blinking red light of my camera reflected in glass and it's fairly unprofessional to look at. Is there anyway to fix this without having to shoot scenes again?

• 1. Re: Fixing blemishes (reflection of "record" light)
          the_wine_snob Level 9

That fixing might depend on how much "clean glass" you have available, and the ease, might depend on how much camera movement you have.

Let's say that there is little camera movement, and you do have some clean glass to work with. You can use Track Matte Keying to fix your reflected REC light.

Duplicate your Clip, and put that on Video Track 2, above the original Clip. Now, use the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position, to bring in a piece of clean glass, over where the reflection is on the original. You will likely need to reduce the Opacity of that duplicate Clip, so that you can see the red reflection below it. Create a Title in PrE's Titler, Delete any Text placeholder, and create a small circle with the Shapes. You want it to be just a bit larger than the reflection. Fill it with white. I would then apply Effect>Gaussian Blur to that circle - you want to soften the edge, but not Blur it too much. Place that Title on Video Track 3. Apply Track Matte Keying to that duplicate Clip, and link it to that Title, which will be your Track Matte. That will hold out all of the duplicate Clip, except where you have the little circle.

If there is camera movement, during that time in the Clip, you can then Keyframe the Effect>Motion>Position of the Track Matte, to keep it over the red reflection.

The closer that the area of clean glass is to the area of glass, with the red reflection, the better it will look.

For some general tips on Track Matte Keying, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4575874#4575874

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Fixing blemishes (reflection of "record" light)
            garymanilow Level 1

Hi Bill. I will take a look at your solution over the next few days. What do you mean by clean glass? Frames that have less of the blemish?

Thanks!!

• 3. Re: Fixing blemishes (reflection of "record" light)
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you have a piece of glass, in which you have a reflection of the REC light. To get rid of that, you would want to study the glass object, and select an area, that looks about like what you would want, were it not for that REC refection, i.e. a piece of the glass, that is "clean," and free of the reflection. That is what you hope to overlay on the area with the reflection.

Good luck, and it is also more involved to write about what one needs to do - actually doing it is much, much easier.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Fixing blemishes (reflection of "record" light)
                garymanilow Level 1

Ok, I see what you mean. I will take a look at this before I "release" the video. And here, I thought I was done editing.... : )

But it will be worth the last bit of effort to never have to look back. It's my first one. Here it is.... At 2 minutes, there are a bunch of record lights at the aquarium scene. I figured out how to turn off the record light, so shouldn't have this issue in the future.https://vimeo.com/user18004780

• 5. Re: Fixing blemishes (reflection of "record" light)
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Thanks for sharing. I really liked the into - haunting image.

Now, is the REC light reflection that you are referring to in the aquarium scenes?

If so, some of those, with fish moving behind the reflective glass, might be a bit tougher to handle, but with a bit more work, you should be able to get it pretty good. I was hoping that you had a static window, with nothing changing behind it. That would be much, much easier to deal with.

For shooting in such an environment, I would just place a little bit of black tape over that light, in the future.

Now, if you have access to Adobe After Effects, then its Clone Tool would make getting rid of that reflection much easier, but if you do not, that would be a very expensive treatment.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Fixing blemishes (reflection of "record" light)
                    garymanilow Level 1

It wouldn't be worth the investment. This project was basically a practice run so I could start learning my equipment. I'll look into your solution and try it on at least one REC light. If it it is too hard to fix, I'll just live with it. I'll let you know what happens and thanks again!