13 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2013 5:42 PM by Duke Green RSS

PrE 11 Can't Find Archived Files

Duke Green Community Member

Hi, I archived a project, using Project Archiver, and when trying to open, PrE asks where is file -filename-? I navigate to the location, find the file, click ok, then it asks where is the next one, and so forth. The drive I archived to has not changed location or been disconnected since archival. PrE is also asking for rendered .mpeg files, which don't exist in the archive. I optioned to archive the entire project. Any ideas?

Thanks

Duke

• 1. Re: PrE 11 Can't Find Archived Files
          A.T. Romano Community Member

Duke

This is a curious event. The whole purpose of the Copy option is to place in the "Copied Folder" your project.prel along with all the source media for the project including what got brought into the Media, Media not used on the Timeline, and what media were used on the Timeline.

So, when you went to the Copied Folder, what did you find inside...a copy of the project.prel and all that media? Was it the project.prel there that you right clicked and directed Open With Premiere Elements 11?

What was the name of the saved folder which contained your Project Archiver Copy option files?

ATR

• 2. Re: PrE 11 Can't Find Archived Files
            the_wine_snob Community Member

Duke,

I have seen instances where PrE's Project Archiver, and also PrPro's Project Manager (very similar functions), missed some Assets. This was most often due to the folder structure, from where the Assets came.

After those instances, I restructured my workflow, to make sure that before Import, I Copied my Assets to sub-folder, under the Project's root folder.

Hunt

• 3. Re: PrE 11 Can't Find Archived Files

Hunt

Interesting comment. I have never run across what you describe going all the way back and stretching into the present version 11. How many times and where  have you seen this reported. I would like to see the details on that. My interest goes back to the one and only oddity I came across first hand a few versions back where the Project Archiver Copy Option ran into distress with DV  AVI Type 1 Timeline Content. If interested I will dig out the thread with the details.

In view of my interests in the Project Archiver I will be following this thread closely to see the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: PrE 11 Can't Find Archived Files

I've managed to find the media. PrE found about 60% of it, and it was in the same folder(s) as the files it could not find. It mangled a couple of places in the video, substituting clips. Not insurmountable.

I can't say I've completely gotten to know how PrE structures its files or subdirectories, but I start it out in a folder on the C:root, name the project, keeping that folder at the top of any additions I make. I've also optioned the save files to be under that directory. When I archive the project, it seems to keep the structure(some of which PrE builds), and, it took the media with it.

DirectoryStructure.jpg

Here is a screen shot of the directories: At the top is the Project Name, Juliet... , then below is all the raw footage (I put it there), then under the next Juliet (has no comma) are the files that PrE placed. In the .prv folder is where all the rendered files reside. I believe that is just how PrE builds it during editing.

No blood, no foul. I'm relieved to know all the stuff is there, fixing it can be done.

I'm quite pleased with this program, but I can see how doing your own copy-before-archive might be needed.

Thanks, guys. I'm grateful for your ever-presence.

Duke

• 5. Re: PrE 11 Can't Find Archived Files

ATR,

Several instances have been reported, and I encountered perhaps two myself.

Initially, I had used PrPro's Project Manager (very similar to PrE's Archiver), and found that my SmartSound files were NOT included in my archived Project, though I had chosen to do a Copy Assets. My first thought was that it was some anomaly with SmartSound WAV files, but it was not. I discovered that my SmartSound WAV files were stored in a "Video Music" folder on another HDD, and not being picked up by Project Manager. I Copied those SmartSound WAV files to a sub-folder in my Project's folder hierarchy, linked to those, and tried again. All was good with that arrangement. I went to archive a second Project, and experienced the same thing - my SmartSound files were NOT included, as they were still on another HDD, in that "Video Music" folder. I repeated the Copy, and linking operation, and found that my second attempt was successful.

IIRC, Neale, on this forum, encountered similar with PrE, though not with SmartSound files.

As of that experience, I changed my workflow, so that ALL Assets were included in the hierachy of my Project, and I have never had an issue since. I no longer use that Video Music folder for my SmartSound WAV files, and it has been Deleted.

Though I keep the original Assets (those that are sort of "stock") on my NAS, when used in a Premiere (either flavor) Project, I will Copy those to folders within the Project's hierarchy, per this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4028231#4028231

To date, I have not had any issue, when archiving a Premiere (again, both flavors) Project.

Hunt

• 6. Re: PrE 11 Can't Find Archived Files

Duke,

Take a look at my Project Folder article, in my Reply to ATR. That workflow has been developed over the years, and has never failed me yet.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PrE 11 Can't Find Archived Files

I didn't have any issues with the sound files, I went ahead and copied them to the folders PrE was using during the project. I'm ok with multiple copies of small files (glad we're past the 360K floppies).

I will keep a close watch on how the files are placed by PrE as editing progresses. If I have any insights or discoveries, I will pass them along.

Thanks

Duke

• 8. Re: PrE 11 Can't Find Archived Files

You are now a published author, Bill. At least I printed it for myself. Very helpful, it does just what I started out to do, but more thoroughly.

I completely agree that the fewer 'shortcuts' a program has to chase, the better for all concerned.

Thanks again

Duke

• 9. Re: PrE 11 Can't Find Archived Files

Duke,

I am honored!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: PrE 11 Can't Find Archived Files

Duke Green

You and Hunt seem to have resolved your issue, but your screenshot is causing me to ask for clarification on what you wrote and to which Hunt addressed.

As I understood the problem, you used the Premiere Elements Project Archiver and opted to use the Copy option which should have given you copies of all the media that went into your project (those in the media that were used or not used as well as media that actually got put on the Timeline plus other assets of the project.)  And, when you did that you encountered missing media messages when you went to open the project.prel in that "Copied...." Folder. Is all that correct?

If so, how is it in your screenshot you show a "Trimmed...." folder which suggest that you used the Project Archiver Archive option and not the Copy option? Use of the "Trimmed...." option does not give you the complete coverage that you would get with the Copy option.

ATR

• 11. Re: PrE 11 Can't Find Archived Files

ATR, you are right in the rundown. My 'Trimmed' folder refers to the clips I bring into PrE. I use a GoPro, just shoot full-time, which makes about one hour of 1920X1080 video and sound. The GoPro chops it into 3.8 GB files onto the MicroSD card. I download the card onto the PC, then use the GoPro app CineForm to convert the clips I want into same-resolution .avi files. Those are the trims in the 'trimmed' folder.

Once they are in the project, they get trimmed further by me and PrE, but the original .avi remains intact.

It was a bit of caveman-manual to reconstruct the project, but like I say, PrE found most of it and once I told it where a few of the files were, it found some more. I don't know that the issue is resolved, but having learned more about the file structure that PrE builds is a good tool to have. And, knowing all it did was forget a few things, one of them NOT being leaving the baby at the supermarket, well, I can forgive that.

Thank you, folks, I hope to resolve a stumper one of these days and return the favors.

Duke

• 12. Re: PrE 11 Can't Find Archived Files

Duke Green

Thanks for the clarification.

Sounds like you are doing great.

Continued success.

ATR

• 13. Re: PrE 11 Can't Find Archived Files

I am doing alright, mechanically. Now my goal is to make it interesting, you know, one of those vids that makes somebody say "Let's watch .... again". Tis a tall order.

I try to see the headaches as opps and realize you come out smarter on the other end. I appreciate the encouragement.

Thanks

Duke