10 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2013 9:41 PM by A.T. Romano RSS

Music clips disappearing

AZ Aurora

I now have a new problem with Premier Elements. I have added all of my audio clips and they show up on the audio timeline but on playback I have an audio clip that will not play back. When one of them did that I finally added it to audio 3 and that seemed to correct that problem, than it is showing up at random. I save and close the program and the clip that was not being played plays BUT than a totally different clip show up with the same problem. I restarted the program the problem with the previous two clips was resolved so I thought great  I can go ahead and burn to disc. I did that and now on the disc a whole new audio clip on playback is missing!! What is going on?? I could see if it was with just one clip I could correct it but it is a random happening?! Help or suggestions would be great.  Thanks

• 1. Re: Music clips disappearing
          A.T. Romano Community Member

AuroraAz

It is getting late where I am so I will give you some quick questions and will check in the light of day to see what is happening.

1. If you start a new project, does the problem exist in the new as well as the old project?

2. What are the properties, including file extensions, of these audio clips that are on that Timeline?

3. What is the size of this project, what else is on that Timeline (video, audio, narration, soundtrack)? What is your project preset?

ATR

Add On...Did I ask my typical Premiere Elements 8 questions...

a. Are you working from the Premiere Elements 8.0.1 Update?

b. Do you have the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalzyer features turned Off. Those two are major causes of problems in version 8 even with the 8.0.1 Update. The AutoAnalyzer is shut Off in Elements Organizer workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalyzer Options (all of them); and, Background Rendering should have been shut Off by the 8.0.1 Update installation. But verify that Background Rendering is Off nonetheless via Premiere Elements workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General.

• 2. Re: Music clips disappearing
            AZ Aurora Community Member

Sorry, I did not see the reply key when I answered "no", had forgotten to log in/ hate when that happens.

Now to answer your questions

1. Have not started a new project, trying to finish the present one, I have too many hours in it to scrape it

2. The audio clips are mp3 not sure where to find file extensions if that is not the answer

3. The project is 148 slides long including music and title inserts with text, I have already added my disc menu

I am in Adobe 8.0, where do I get the update?

Also tried turning off background rendering and that does not help

Where is the auto analyzer under edit/preferences, I can find auto save is that what you are referring to?

I have it saved "same as project"

What I have tried is to take all of my music off and redo it on the audio timeline, I still have one music clip that will not play, now it is the same one that did not burn to the dvd. When I go into my music folder and play it, it plays fine. I have tried to delete it and than put it on audio 3 instead of audio 1 where all of my other music resides. I tried to go into my project and do a delete of that file thinking it was corrupt, than my program stopped responding.

Any suggestions? Thanks

• 3. Re: Music clips disappearing

AuroraAz

First the setup information.

(a) To shut off the AutoAnalyzer feature you have to go to the Elements Organizer part of the program. To do that, you click on Organizer Tab in the row below the selected Organize Header. That opens the Elements Organizer where you go to the Edit Menu/Preferences/AutoAnalyzer Options to turn them all off. To get back to the Premiere Elements workspace from the Elements Organizer workspace, you go to the Elements Organizer File Menu/Exit.

(b) If you have installed the 8.0.1 Update, that Update should have shut off the automatic Background Rendering feature found via Premiere Elements workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/General. Check anyway. Unfortunately, when the 8.0.1 Update installs it does not leave any "8.0.1". Essentially you know that it is installed

a. Installed Successfully at the end of the install

and

b. automatic Background Rendering feature which had been set for on is now set for off.

Check Premiere Elements workspace Help Menu/Updates to see if there is the 8.0.1 Update there waiting to be updated.

There is always the online route of

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4653

With your further details, first thing that caught my attention were those 148 photos. What are the pixel dimensions of each? This could be the important factor. So, let us get this out of the way. What do your computer resources look like, such as available RAM and free hard drive space?

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Music clips disappearing
                the_wine_snob Community Member

Let's look at a few things:

1. MP3's (that is the file format) can be problematic. Some work, but some do not. I always convert any MP3 source material to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, and Import those into my Project. As you are having issues with particular MP3's, that is something that you might want to consider - you would just convert, in say the great, free Audacity, Import it/them into the Project, and just replace the one(s), that are giving you a problem. First, however, I would propose a test, which follows.
                2. Open the Audio Mixer, and play that Timeline. Watch the sliders for your various Audio Tracks. Do any of them move on their own during playback? Also check that no Audio Tracks are Muted (little checkbox below the sliders). The reason for this is the Audio Mixer adds Track Keyframes to adjust Volume or Balance. If they have been added, even if you replace Clips on that Track, they will still have an effect.

Report your observations with the Audio Mixer, and if the sliders do not move, and no Track is Muted, then I wouild consider # 1.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Music clips disappearing

To Reply to both Bill and A. T. Romano here is the latest

1. My pixel size on the photos is arund 800 x 600, some less the resolution is 120

2. My ram is 6 GB and my hard drive is 581 with 281 free

3. I do have the update of 8.0.1

4. Both my auto analyzer and rendering are off

5. I checked the audio mixer and the first slider moved back to 0 as I had reset that as an attempt to "fix" the problem, so it moved back to 0, nothing was muted below

That change in the audio mixer did not change anything. What I ended up doing was to add the MP3s each individually, the last one that was giving me the problem I deleted it and added it on Audio 4. Now they all seem to sound on playback. I have burnt one disc sucessfully and have my second in my DVD player to do a "test on it".

Not sure what the problem was but it certainly was frustrating.

I do have some additional questions or if you have any further suggestions/input on the above problems that would be appreciated. I am doing recording a running log for future attempts.

1. When I burnt the first DVD with the missing music clip when it played to the "end" it went back to the beginning, the disc menu. However on the subsequent successful DVD it does not do that, it just goes "black" and than if I leave the disc in long enough it plays back to the disc menu. What does one do to get it to revert back immediately?

2. When I do a manual rendering the line goes from red to green, but than on further use without do any editing some areas that were green go back to red. Why does it do that?

3. Lastly for this go round, I set scene markers and if I am not careful they get shifted to a different clip, is there any way to get them so they "stay" without one selecting that they be moved?

As for the audio clips I think I had a Premier gremlin??  Or any of the above solved the problem.

Thanks for all of your responses and help in trouble shooting this. I really appreciate the quick replies it helps significantly when in the middle of a project.

• 6. Re: Music clips disappearing

AuroraAz

Regarding

1. When I burnt the first DVD with the missing music clip when it played to the "end" it went back to the beginning, the disc menu. However on the subsequent successful DVD it does not do that, it just goes "black" and than if I leave the disc in long enough it plays back to the disc menu. What does one do to get it to revert back immediately?

The return to the main menu occurs when the end of the content has been reached or until a stop marker within the Timeline content is encountered. In the case where you get black video for a while before the return to the main menu suggests to me that you have something unknowingly placed beyond what you consider to be the end of the content. Have you looked for an obvious file that could have been placed to the far right of the Timeline content end or, if you expand the Timeline with the -+ slider over the Timeline, do you see any slivers which might present as one or more thin vertical black lines scattered about the Timeline?

Looking into the types, numbers, and placement of your Timeline markers may be necessary.

Regarding

2. When I do a manual rendering the line goes from red to green, but than on further use without do any editing some areas that were green go back to red. Why does it do that?

Whenever you see red line over the Timeline content, that is the program telling you that you do not have the best possible preview of that Timeline content as it is viewed in the Edit Mode Monitor. The red typically followed each of your edits/rendering/edits. Green is the program's indicator for you are getting the best possible preview. You can selectively rendered the Timeline content (red line content) by setting the tiny gray tabs of the WorkAreaBar to span just the area to be rendered. Any changes in content will trigger the program to offer the red line with all its implications.

Regarding

3. Lastly for this go round, I set scene markers and if I am not careful they get shifted to a different clip, is there any way to get them so they "stay" without one selecting that they be moved?

Make sure that you have enough space between markers. Do not put a stop marker at the end of the last file on the Timeline. They do not move once place. Again make sure of the spacing of a few seconds between each. Two menu markers cannot occupy the same spot. Maybe give us an idea of your menu marker lineup. By any chance are you using "motion buttons" for any of the scene markers?

Thanks for the follow up. That was good news about audio problems resolving.

ATR

• 7. Re: Music clips disappearing

Thanks once again

1. Oops, yes I saw the "slivers" when you pointed them out, got rid of them and woila, the marker stops!

2. Okay I will try to do the rendering and than not touch the timeline and see if that works

3.Scene markers are far apart and they are like an upside down green triangle. Not sure if they are motion buttons, but they do work with the scene selection menu.

Thanks once again

• 8. Re: Music clips disappearing

AuroraAz

Great job finding those slivers. They can cause all sorts of problems in the workflow.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks for the follow up. Sounding good.

ATR

• 9. Re: Music clips disappearing

The latest on the difficulty with the music clips. I did all of the above except to convert the MP3s as Bill suggested. I will resort to that for my next DVD project. What I did with this project is that the clip that I was having problems with I deleted the MP3 that was there and did a reimport and transferred it to Audio 3 line. I than deleted the same clip that was on audio 1. I than did a playback and it presented with another clip not playing that had previously played. I than closed the program and reopened it. Than did another playback and ALL of the audio clips played. I quickly burned the other copies and now after numerous hours and your help/ both Bill and ATR have a successful DVD to share.

I now have some other questions for future reference if you would be so kind as to answer those:

1. What is the best setting Standard 48kHz or Widescreen? I used the standard and it looked okay but did not fill my widescreen tv. But wondering if standard would be more compatible with most uses?

2. What is the best time to use "beat detection", I did not try it with all of the problems that I was having, but wondering for future what is best?

3. When is the best time to do rendering of the video timeline? Again I did do it but at the end did not want to take a risk with my audio problems?

4. The issue I had when I was building this project is that I could not always unlink the audio and the video clips. I would highlight both and than go to unlink and at times it was "dithered out", what is the criteria for using the unlink feature?

Thanks for all of your help.

• 10. Re: Music clips disappearing

AuroraAz

1. Probably the DVD-VIDEO Standard would lend itself to less problems with photo sizing, and it does not depend on the TV DVD player recognizing a 16:9 flag to stretch the video for display after encoding. But, there are TV DVD Player adjustments that you should be able to make. So, I would look into that aspect of the playback. Depending on the TV DVD player, you can get some marvelous enhancement of DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen playback. Please check the TV DVD player settings, and we can talk about this some more next time.

2. I am not a "beat detection" person. I have no sense of beats. I had a relative who is a professional musician try to help me with this. We both gave up on me and detecting beats. I should revisit that one of these days. SG the forum moderator I believe has discussed this feature in various places.

3. You render the Timeline when you want to know that you are getting the best possible preview of the Timeline playback in the Edit Mode monitor. This is particularly useful when working with transitions, effects, titles, and non native format content. You do not have to do this type of rendering but it is your window of opportunity to catch a problem sooner than later.

4. Unlinking and linking clips is fairly straight forward. From the Timeline right click - pop up level to using the Clip Menu and the unlink and link option there. Were you always sure that you had the correct clips highlighted if you used the Clip Menu route? Did you determine if that issue was specific to one project or happening all the time with new and old projects? See if you can identify a pattern of occurence.

It is getting later where I am so I will sign off. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written. I will be back later in the morning to look for further developments.

Thanks.

ATR