10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2013 9:01 PM by Ad Hoc Group

Can I use Acrobat 11 & FormsCentral to keep info and forms only on my computer or is info kept on a

Ad Hoc Group

I'm planning to upgrade to Acrobat XI specifically for the webforms, data collection and payment options using FormsCentral. But I don't want details stored anywhere but on my computer or host server. So I have several questions before I make my decision.

1) Is there anyway to use the Forms Central Desktop app to save the forms templates to my hard drive, or do I just need to create my own with Acrobat?

2) Can I just have the responses and payment information sent directly to me and not saved on the FormsCentral server?

3) If not: Can I delete the responses and payment details from the FormsCentral server?

4) I need a way to use this information when my computer is not connected to the Internet, so it needs to be on my computer. I'm not always where I can get Internet access, and when I can, it often is a public WiFi  access (I travel full time.)

5) I write ebooks and training courses. I will have some affiliates promoting my products. I would like to use this system to make it easy for them to make a sale that tells me which affiliate referred the buyer. Is there a way to use Acrobat forms and FormsCentral to do this without relying on the buyer to enter a code? I'm thinking, possibly, of a form they can add to their website that will take the information and send it to my account. I can't quite figure this out.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Can I use Acrobat 11 & FormsCentral to keep info and forms only on my computer or is info kept on a
          Pengpeng Sun

Save your form as a PDF file will answer most of questions, see details one by one:

1) After create your form templates, you can export them to FCDT(FormsCentral Design Template) and import them back when you want to use them.

2) Save your form as a PDF file and sent it to your form fillers. Ask them fill the PDF and send back to you, no submission no data saved in FormsCentral server.

3) Yes, just delete from response table, also you can export your responses before that.

4) Submission-enabled PDF, you can save your form as a Submission-enabled PDF. Fill your information in PDF when you offline and submit it when you have Internet access if you want.

5) Embed form. You can copy embed code from FormsCentral form and paste to their website. But it can not take the information of where the submission comes from, you need add a required field in form design and let buyers enter their info when fill embed form.

Thanks,

Pengpeng Sun

• 2. Re: Can I use Acrobat 11 & FormsCentral to keep info and forms only on my computer or is info kept on a
            Ad Hoc Group Level 1

Thank you. Your answers will help get me started. I have a lot to learn, yet, about getting forms on my website in a usable format, but this will help me decide if up grading to Acrobat XI is worthwhile, and what I do and don't need Forms Central for.

Thanks again

Michele

• 3. Re: Can I use Acrobat 11 & FormsCentral to keep info and forms only on my computer or is info kept on a
              Genevieve Laroche Adobe Employee

Just want to make something clear.

If you want to collect data (submit button on your form) then you will also need a FormsCentral subscription. What you get with Acrobat XI and FormsCentral for Acrobat is that you can create unlimitted PDF forms without submit buttons (no data stored in FormsCentral). You can always manually add a submit button to your form in Acrobat XI that could send the data/PDF directly to you via email (not to FormsCentral). It sounds like this is what you want but I just want to make sure that you are aware that Acrobat XI won't allow you to collect responses for more than 1 form for free. You will also need a subscription to create web form.

You are talking about Submission Enabled PDF : this required a FormsCentral subscriptions

You are talking about Embed Form : this requires a FormsCentral subscription since this is only available for web forms.

https://www.acrobat.com/formscentral/en/features/compare-plans.html

Gen

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can I use Acrobat 11 & FormsCentral to keep info and forms only on my computer or is info kept on a
                Ad Hoc Group Level 1

Genevieve, would you clarify this a bit/ "You can always manually add a submit button to your form in Acrobat XI that could send the data/PDF directly to you via email (not to FormsCentral). It sounds like this is what you want but I just want to make sure that you are aware that Acrobat XI won't allow you to collect responses for more than 1 form for free. You will also need a subscription to create web form."

You seem to say that I can add a submit form and send a complete PDF back to my bby email and not to FormsCentral, then you said I can't even create the web form without FormsCentral." What am I missing here? If I can bypass FormsCentral, why do I need a subscription? It sounds as if they've created something else to sell us and made it so we can't conduct out business without going through them.

I'l like to skip the FormsCentral part altogether, and not even upgrade to Adobe XI if I can do thei with Acrobat Pro 8 or 10 (depending on who does this work.) Where would I find the instructions (using Acrobat 8, 10 AND 11) about creating a webform? What keywords would I search for in the documentation for these versions?

• 5. Re: Can I use Acrobat 11 & FormsCentral to keep info and forms only on my computer or is info kept on a

1) Do you want to create web forms or PDF forms?

2) Do you want to collect data in a table-like format or do you want to receiving filled-out PDF forms directly to your email inbox and you manage your own data?

It all depends on what you want to do. The FormsCentral service allows you to create web forms and collect data directly into FormsCentral.

FormsCentral for Acrobat (desktop version that comes with Acrobat XI) offers the same benefit of FormsCentral when you have a FormsCentral subscription but you don't need a subscription.

The application still work without a subscription but you don't get the online features that comes with the subscription.

Without the subscription & with FormsCentral for Acrobat :

- You can create unlimitted PDF forms

- You can't collect data via FormsCentral

- You can't create web forms (HTML forms)

Adobe Acrobat does allow you to add your own button and add some action to it to submit the data by email to you. This is a capability of Acrobat. I helped someone with this today see : http://forums.adobe.com/message/5417509#5417509

Bottom line : if you want web forms (as in HTML forms) and collect data then you need a subscription. If you want PDF forms and manage your own data collection then you are fine with Acrobat XI and no subscription needed.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Gen

• 6. Re: Can I use Acrobat 11 & FormsCentral to keep info and forms only on my computer or is info kept on a
                    Ad Hoc Group Level 1

Sorry for the delayed response. I had one of those disconnect episodes that is one of my reasons for NOT wanting any of my data accessible only from a cloud service. I'm back on now. But lost almost a full day because of this.

RE: 1) Do you want to create web forms or PDF forms?

From reading the instructions for Acrobat X, I'm hoping to create a PDF form that I can put on the website, have people fill it out, then when they click "submit" it comes to me in an email. I don't know if the term "web forms" implies anything other than that (such as FormsCentral memebership), but since the instruction manual called them webforms with no mention of FormsCentral, it looks like I can do this much without getting involved with that service. I posted the instructions below so you know what I'm referring to (Acrobat X manual)

RE: 2) Do you want to collect data in a table-like format or do you want to receiving filled-out PDF forms directly to your email inbox and you manage your own data?

I'd like to receive the forms by email, then I'll put it into my database. I can make tables or put it in spreadsheets or whatever I want from there.

RE: Without the subscription & with FormsCentral for Acrobat :...

- You can't create web forms (HTML forms)

There is a save to HTML feature in Acrobat X. When I saved a document with a form to HTML format I could open it with a browser, but the form fields didn't show up. Don't know if that because it really doesn't do this, or if I'm so new at this I screwed it up.

Also, there was some comment about needing a CGI script to collect the information and send it to a database, and that makes sense to me, though I don't know how to use CGI. I have a CGI something or other available through my hosting service. Maybe that's what I need to learn to use.

Here are the instructions for v.X

Home / Using Acrobat X Pro / Forms / Publishing interactive web forms

Add submit functionality

Use the Submit A Form action to send form data to an email address or to a web server by specifying a URL. You can also use the submit button to send other files back to a server or database. For example, you can attach scanned images or files to a form. The files are submitted along with the rest of the form data when you click the Submit button.

If your PDF form contains an email-based submit button, you can use the Distribute workflow to facilitate distributing the form to others.

1. Select Tools > Forms > Edit, then select Button from the Add New Field list, and create a button.
                    2. Double-click the button to open the Button Properties dialog box.
                    3. Click the Actions tab, and select Mouse Up from the Select Trigger menu.
                    4. Select Submit A Form from the Select Action menu, and then click Add.
                    5. In the Submit Form Selections dialog box, type an entry in Enter A URL For This Link:
                      • To send the form data to a web server, enter the destination URL.
                      • To send the form data to an email address, enter mailto: followed by the email address. For example, type mailto:nobody@adobe.com
                    6. Make additional changes to the available options, and then click OK to close the dialog box.
                    7. Change settings on other tabs in the Button Properties dialog box as needed, and then click Close.

• 7. Re: Can I use Acrobat 11 & FormsCentral to keep info and forms only on my computer or is info kept on a

From your answers it looks like you don't need a FormsCentral subscription. You can do everything you need with Adobe Acrobat (for free).

A web form is the HTML form that FormsCentral can produce. It is not a PDF hosted on your website nor a PDF exported to HTML. Form Fields don't work when you export a PDF Form into an HTML format.

I'm not sure about the CGI script and how you could collect the info in your database. I think you will need to direct your question to the Acrobat Form forum if you want more information : http://forums.adobe.com/community/acrobat/forms

FormsCentral could help you with the process of collecting data in a very easy and straighforward way but it does come with a the price of a subscription.

Gen

• 8. Re: Can I use Acrobat 11 & FormsCentral to keep info and forms only on my computer or is info kept on a
                        Ad Hoc Group Level 1

Well, thank you for all your explanations, Gen. Now I guess I have to find out how to get a form to show up on my webpage as a form. I know how to get one to show up as a downloadable document. Is that the same for forms? Maybe I should just make a form and try it out,now.

By the time I get it figured out I'll need FormsCentral's paypal feature, and all this will be for nothing. LOL

Thank you.

Micki

• 9. Re: Can I use Acrobat 11 & FormsCentral to keep info and forms only on my computer or is info kept on a

Remember that if you collect responses via PDF Forms your form fillers will need to use Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Reader or Acrobat Mobile to fill out the form. Some browsers do have a Reader plug-in but not all of them and you can't guarentee that you fillers will have the plugin installed. I suggest that you keep your form as a downloadable PDF. This is because browsers like Chrome and Safari can display PDF natively but can't deal with form fields very well.

Or course if you create a HTML form with FormsCentral then you can embed the form in your Website no problem... another reason to keep it in mind

Gen

• 10. Re: Can I use Acrobat 11 & FormsCentral to keep info and forms only on my computer or is info kept on a
                            Ad Hoc Group Level 1

I think I'm beginning to understand how these programs work together. I've avoided this for years just because of the little things I can't nail down (and they always turn out to be such simple things, too.)

Thanks so much. I'll go see what I can learn from the forms forum.