4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2013 10:17 AM by Jim_Simon

General suggestions for my first machine / Radeon 7950 and i7-4770 peformance?

J_sh

Here's my build so far:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/16uXl

My main use for this machine will be Photoshop and Lightroom, but since I plan to do some video editing as well, I figure shooting for something that will perform well with Premier will encompass any needs PS/LR will have too (correct me if I'm wrong.)

My main concern is if the 7950 will be able to take advantage of Mercury Playback Engine (MPE)'s acceleration? I have read a few articles saying only nVIDA's cards will work for this, but Adobe's page here (( http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/tech-specs.edu.html )) says ATIs should work as well, if I'm reading it correctly. I'm open to other suggestions for cards that would perform better than it any way in the general price range as well.

Additionally, is the i7 4770 a good compromise if I don't want to go with a six core processor?

Also, would an additional SSD be recommended? I know it's recommended for media caches but I'll admit I don't know if PS/Lightroom could take advantage of it as well.

This is my first build, so any additional comments would be appreciated as well.

Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: General suggestions for my first machine / Radeon 7950 and i7-4770 peformance?
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Welcome to the forums.

Yes, the i7-4770K is a good performer.  I would suggest going to the "K" version as after you get familiar with your system you may want to take advantage of overclocking

For Premiere CS6 performance information, take a look at the new PPBM6 (Premiere Pro BenchMark) results you will see two entries listed as "Haswell".  You will have to register to see the data.  To see the configuration data you click on the Speccy link.and drill down into the detail..

Message was edited by: Bill Gehrke

• 2. Re: General suggestions for my first machine / Radeon 7950 and i7-4770 peformance?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

The configuration looks OK and certainly adequate for LR, PS and limited PR work. There is one thing I don't like about this setup and that is the PSU. Go for a good one, do not skimp on that, so get a Corsair or Seasonic Gold or Platinum label one. Second, get a very good air cooler like the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO with push-pull configuration or the Noctua NH-D14. The Haswell CPU gets even hotter than the Ivy Bridge, so good cooling is absolutely essential. From that perspective it may be worthwhile to consider a big tower instead of a mid tower, more expansion room for the future, better cable management, better airflow and easier to install. Look at something like the Fractal Design XL R2.

Currently nVidia is the preferred video card, something like the GTX 650 Ti Boost, far more affordable, but in the future AMD may catch up with the CC versions. Remember that any $ 30 video card is usually enough for LR and PS. It is PR that requires real resources with hardware MPE and that is where currently the GTX line shines and leaves everything AMD in the dust.

• 3. Re: General suggestions for my first machine / Radeon 7950 and i7-4770 peformance?
              bgalakazam

The 4770K lacks features, such as vPro, VT-d and TSX among some and it is more expensive. It's a crippled 4770 with unlocked multiplier. You can still overclock the 4770 the standard way. It's clock is 3.4GHz and 3.9GHz with boost. Depending on your GPU and memory requirements, you can also get a much cheaper motherboard since you won't be overclocking.

... I always say, if you have to overclock, you didn't get the right CPU. If you so much desire more power, get the SB-E (3930K or 3960X).

I have the 4770 and it is sufficient for non-profesional stuff. Used the extra $ from the CPU to buy a lower CAS RAM.

• 4. Re: General suggestions for my first machine / Radeon 7950 and i7-4770 peformance?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

The 4770K lacks features, such as vPro, VT-d and TSX

True, bot none of those things have any impact with Adobe tools.  And if you don't plan to overclock, the non-K is still a screamer of a chip at a bit less money.