10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2013 9:40 AM by the_wine_snob

I can't import home movie in DVD format to adobe elements premier

Deniselinda Level 1

I have several movies in the old DVD format which I intend to convert to HD and burn to blu-ray. I anyone please help me upload such movie to premier?

• 1. Re: I can't import home movie in DVD format to adobe elements premier
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, technically you can't do that. Well, you can -- but you can't really. BluRays has 6 times as many pixels as standard definition DVD video -- so all you'll end up doing is making a blurry BluRay disc. You're just basically stretching a picture to many times its size!

What's your intention in converting to BluRay? You're not going to get a better looking disc. In fact, most BluRay players have software in them that will make your DVDs look almost as good as BluRays anyway. Blowing out your video from standard to high-def video only sidesteps that software and leaves you with a fuzzy image.

• 2. Re: I can't import home movie in DVD format to adobe elements premier

Also note the BluRay discs cost a lot more than DVDs -- so not only will your movies be fuzzier, but you'll also pay a lot more for the privilege.

Seriously, if your movies are on DVDs, keep them on DVDs. They're still state of the art.

• 3. Re: I can't import home movie in DVD format to adobe elements premier
              Deniselinda Level 1

Sir.I have a Mac computer and I am using the montain Lion operating system. I am also using Adobe premier 11. I have added a blu -ray burner.

• 4. Re: I can't import home movie in DVD format to adobe elements premier

Your operating system makes no difference whatsoever.

If you blow out a DVD to BluRay resolution, it will look fuzzy.

• 5. Re: I can't import home movie in DVD format to adobe elements premier
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Deniselinda

You talk about "old DVD format", but just how old are the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc that you are wanting to edit into Blu-ray in Premiere Elements 11 on your Mac computer? How would you gauge their quality, video and audio wise? And, what size screen do you plan on using in conjunction with your player for the playback of the Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc?

Do you have any BD-RE disc for experimental purposes?

ATR

• 6. Re: I can't import home movie in DVD format to adobe elements premier
                    nealeh Level 5

And your Blu-ray burner will also burn DVD's as well as Blu-rays.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale
                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 7. Re: I can't import home movie in DVD format to adobe elements premier
                      Deniselinda Level 1

My old home movies are about 20 13 to 20 years old. I would like to improve their quality. Some of these movies were copied to DVD from VHS and DV. I have not thought about the screen size, I would appreciate you advise me on that matter. And yes I have BD disks for experimental purposes.

• 8. Re: I can't import home movie in DVD format to adobe elements premier
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Deniselinda

By the book, the history of your video does not appear to hold much promise for success in home conversion of it to Blu-ray  after Premiere Elements 11 editing and burn  to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc. I suspect that you have 4:3 footage. Blu-ray is going to be 16:9. So that plus the 720 x 480 to 1920 x 1080 and the condition of the footage are all considerations.

Let us start off with the questions "What do you have on those DVD discs, files or your content in DVD-VIDEO format that are in its present state playable on the TV with the TV's DVD player? Are your DVDs 4:3 standard or 16:9 widescreen or both?"

ATR

• 9. Re: I can't import home movie in DVD format to adobe elements premier
                          nealeh Level 5

Deniselinda wrote:

I would like to improve their quality.

You may be misunderstanding what happens when you save the DVD versions to a Blu-ray.

Although Blu-ray has a higher pixel count than DVD, that does not alone improve the quality. Consider your DVD - assume 720 x 480 (we'll ignore pixel shape for this) and that gives you around 350,000 pixels. Blu-ray gives you 1920 x 1080 - around 2,000,000 pixels. So the difference is 1,650,000 pixels (nearly six times that of the originals).

Where do those pixels come from? They don't exist in the original footage so all that can happen is for PRE to duplicate existing pixels to fill the gaps - this does NOT make the image sharper. Quite the opposite - it will just make your video look blurry.

Now many Blu-ray players include processing chips that can interpret the the tonal changes in the gaps and do quite a good job of intelligently filling them (this is called upscaling) and sharpening the image. PRE cannot emulate this.

If you desperately want to improve the quality you might want to look at how your VHS was originally digitized to DVD. Home equipment such as the Canopus range of digitizers do a better job than the readily available USB digitizers. You might send the tapes to a professional digitizing service whose equipment should be capable of doing a better job than the best home equipment.

If you are desperate to do this at home with software you need to look to a product other than PRE. Cyberlink PowerDirector claims to upscale but I have no experience of it. You could also look at Red Giant Magic Bullet Instant HD and see if that does what you want.

Another thing that might help you visualize the problem - take an ordinary newspaper photo and look at it under a magnifying glass, or photocopy it at six times enlargement - you'll see the problem. The images are made up of a set number of dots and if you enlarge it then you just see dots and gaps. Now PRE won't give you the gaps - it will fill them with duplicate pixels but this won't sharpen the image, just blur it.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 10. Re: I can't import home movie in DVD format to adobe elements premier
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

I agree with about Instant HD. Many users have found that it DID improve SD (Standard Def) material, when up-rezzing to HD (High Def), but others were not so impressed with the results. A lot of that satisfaction/dissatisfaction probably depends on the material being processed, and the critical eye of the editor.

I have PowerDirector, but it's quite old, and before CyberLink even added HD support, so I cannot test it on SD footage.

As for the up-rezzing chips in most BD players, and many higher-end DVD players, I find them great! They take SD material, and through hardware processing, produce astounding results - DVD's never looked so good. While the are NOT BD in quality, they are very, very good. I have never read of any software, that can do such a good job.

Hunt