11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2013 12:14 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 11 no longer recognizes my external blu-ray burner.

rbcourter

I have used my Samsung SE-506BB-TSBD external burner many times before today, but for some reason Premiere Elements 11 is not recognizing it. Windows 7 sees it just fine. Premiere Elements 8 (which is still loaded on the same computer) also does not recognize it.

What do I need to do? Samsung's website is no help, but I have a feeling it's an Adobe issue since Windows 7 still recognizes the drive.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 no longer recognizes my external blu-ray burner.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Though they do not often affect external multi-drives/burners, because few are plugged-in and turned-on at bootup, have you added any other burning apps., such as Nero, or Roxio, since the multi-drive last functioned?

When booting up the computer, and turning on the multi-drive, what are your exact steps?

Have you checked the Samsung Web site for updated firmware for your multi-drive?

Good luck, and others might have a few more questions.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 no longer recognizes my external blu-ray burner.
            A.T. Romano Level 7

rbcourter

When is your Blu-ray burner not recognized

Premiere Elements 11: burn to DVD disc, burn to Blu-ray disc, burn to AVCHD on DVD disc, or all?

Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1: burn to DVD disc, burn to Blu-ray disc, or both?

and when you wrote:

I have used my Samsung SE-506BB-TSBD external burner many times before today

Did "....many times before today" imply that you could use the burner for Premiere Elements 11 and 8.0/8.0.1 before. I am trying to get a whether this is a "it worked before but now" or a "it never worked before" type issue.

Do you have the USB 2.0 cable connected to a USB 2.0 computer port directly or via a USB multi port hub? I take it that this burner does not have AC support? If you are using only 1 USB 2.0 port, can you set up the burner for 2 USB 2.0 ports?

Does the computer involved have an internal burner? Or is this the only burner that you have available to you external or internal for the computer?

Let us start here and then decide what avenues of further troubleshooting are available to us.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 no longer recognizes my external blu-ray burner.
              rbcourter Level 1

I have not added any other burning software since the last time I burned a blu-ray disc.

Typically I connect the multi-drive after starting Premiere Elements 11 when I am ready to burn a blu-ray disc. Today I also attempted to plug the multi-drive in before turning my computer on, and that did not work, either.

Samsung's website has been no help. I have tried locating the drive's model on the website and have run a search for the model number on the website, and zero results are returned.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11 no longer recognizes my external blu-ray burner.
                rbcourter Level 1

The blu-ray burning drive is not recognized at all in Premiere Elements. I do have an internal DVD burner that works fine and used it to burn a DVD of what I wanted to burn on blu-ray.

"Many times" means I have used it to burn blu-ray disc in Premiere Elements 11. I had never burned a blu-ray disc in Premiere Elements 8. I only opened PE8 to see if the drive was recognized in PE8 (which, as already stated, is not).

The cable is connected directly to the computer in the same port that it has been connect to before. What do you mean by "AC support"? Do you mean how is it powered? If that is the case, it is powered only through the USB cable, no additional power supply needed. I don't think it can be set up for 2 USB 2.0 ports. Besides, it never needed any special set up before.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11 no longer recognizes my external blu-ray burner.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

rbcourter

Sorry the news is not better.

I am going to be calling it a day in a few moments. Late where I am.

You probably have, but I will ask anyway...what does the Device Manager/DVD/CD -ROM Drives/your Blu-ray burner General Tab show for "working"?

I will think about this some more later in the morning.

Thank you for your follow up.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11 no longer recognizes my external blu-ray burner.
                    rbcourter Level 1

Both drives state that the device is working properly.

Things I have tried:

Reboot computer with drive already plugged in; different usb cables; disabling my internal DVD burner.

For what it's worth, the drive is recognized in Windows 7, Windows Movie Maker, and iTunes.

Interestingly enough, neither the internal or external drive is currently playing Blu-ray movies, whether they are ones I burned previously, or newly released movies bought from the store. Could it be a codec problem?

One last thing that I may have done prior is connect the blu-ray burner to a Macbook Air to watch a DVD. That shouldn't mess anything up, should it?

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11 no longer recognizes my external blu-ray burner.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Interestingly enough, neither the internal or external drive is currently playing Blu-ray movies, whether they are ones I burned previously, or newly released movies bought from the store. Could it be a codec problem?

My first inclination would be, that for some reason, the system is not now seeing the BD multi-drive as a BD multi-drive. This can happen with obsolete firmware in the multi-drive, but unfortunately, you are not able to locate your Samsung multi-drive, to check for firmware updates.

There should not be any CODEC issues with BD, but just to be sure, what version of Apple's QuickTime Player do you have. As H.264 CODEC is one of the allowed BD file formats, that should be automatically installed with Apple's QT Player, though it is available from other sources. The other BD format/CODEC is MPEG-2 HD, which should be installed with PrE, in the MainConcept CODEC's, IIRC.

Good luck, and please keep us updated on your progress.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 11 no longer recognizes my external blu-ray burner.
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I just spent some time on the Samsung Web site. I could find the product info for your BD multi-drive, but it does not appear anywhere (that I could find) in the Support section, just as you noted. It would be ideal if Samsung provided a direct support link from the product's page. Bummer!

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 11 no longer recognizes my external blu-ray burner.
                          rbcourter Level 1

Found a second, seperate Samsung website for optical drives. That's not very good organization, in my opinion. However, I did discover that I did have the latest firmware version, so no help there.

Then...JACKPOT!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Went to this link, performed the "Let me fix it myself" process in the middle of the page, and modified the registry. Works now!

Thanks for all the help, guys!

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 11 no longer recognizes my external blu-ray burner.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

rbcourter

Great news about your success. Great job.

Major contribution reporting what worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 11 no longer recognizes my external blu-ray burner.
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree about the Samsung orginization. I never found that separate Web site, even from the product page for you multi-drive. Someone needs to rethink things at Samsung.

As for your success, however, way to go! Also, posting that link may well help others in the future.

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt