18 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2013 5:51 PM by RoysScreenName RSS

Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?

RoysScreenName Community Member

So, I'm happily recording a narrative voice-over for my video and I notice that the Premiere Elements has stopped recording and the red "Record" button has reappeared. I didn't press the "stop recording" button. This was something that PE decided to do on its own, rather like Hal in Kubrick's 2001.

Wot gives?

Roy

• 1. Re: Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?

Should add that this is a recurring thing. It will stop recording. I start the recording again, and very soon after it stops on its own. Fun!

rh

• 2. Re: Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?
            Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

This is not normal behavioral by any means. It could be a resource issue. What operating system are you running, how fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have? How much free, clean, freshly defragmend space is on your hard drive(s)?

Background processes might also be triggering this. Norton 360 is notorious for this kind of thing. What antivirus program do you have? And have you turned off Windows Indexing?

• 3. Re: Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?
              the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

In addition to Steve's questions, I have one more please:

Are your HDD's formatted to FAT-32, or NTSF? If FAT-32, then you are limited to ~ 4GB for a file size. If you exceed that, Windows cannot process the file, and will cause a "reset."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?

Hewlett-Packard G72 Notebook

Dell 19" standard screen secondary monitor (widescreens have fewer sq-in of real estate than the old-fashioned TV-aspect monitors)

Intel Core i3 CPU  M 370 @ 2.4 Ghz

Memory: 6144MB RAM (Available OS Memory: 5942MB RAM)

NTSF formatted drive

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1

Drive is partitioned for ease of filing:

Model: Hitachi HTS725050A9A364

Drive: C:  Free Space: 142.3 GB  Total Space: 229.9 GB File System: NTFS

Drive: D:  Free Space: 2.5 GB      Total Space: 17.4 GB   File System: NTFS

Drive: F:  Free Space: 37.6 GB    Total Space: 45.1 GB   File System: NTFS

Drive: G:  Free Space: 20.2 GB    Total Space: 45.1 GB   File System: NTFS

Drive: H:   Free Space: 32.4 GB   Total Space: 45.1 GB   File System: NTFS

Drive: I:    Free Space: 17.5 GB    Total Space: 45.1 GB   File System: NTFS

Drive: J:   Free Space: 15.3 GB    Total Space: 49.1 GB   File System: NTFS

Anitvirus is Bitdefender.

No idea what Windows Indexing is.

Will dip into the guts of the system and do a quick defrag.

Thanks, guys. Don't know how I'd get this bloody Kickstarter project together without your help.

Push comes to shove, I'll simply make short-take clips of narration and patch them together to match the visuals, music, and sound effects.

Roy

PS to Bill: About Kickstarter . . .

Check out http://www.kickstarter.com/discover/categories/publishing/most-funded?ref=more

• 5. Re: Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?
                  A.T. Romano Community Member

RoysScreenName

I often write that problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes.

Using that as my disclaimer, you might want to check out the following 2010 thread that I was involved in elsewhere which had to do with with "Narrative Recording Quits After 30 sec" (Premiere Elements 7 Windows 7)

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61237

I have not revisited the issue since. If any of that applies to your situation great, if not please disregard.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?

Hey, Romano. Thank you. And ... ooooops! Forgot to mention you in my above gratitude for helping me get my project going. Your advice re animations was spot-on, and every animated *.mov I've used as a clip in PE has been dead perfect. You, Steve, and Bill are the Three Musketeers of Premiere Elements.

I'll visit your link and see if anything there pertains to my narration problem. In the meantime, though, I'm going to try a quick defrag of C:/

rh

• 7. Re: Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?

I took a closer look at my project, and saw that the narration cut off 30 seconds beyond the EOF slider at the top of the Timeline, which makes me believe that your ElementsVillage post was spot-on.

Haven't tested this theory yet, but will report back after doing so.

I'll move the EOF slider well to the right, to a point that I think is beyond the overall time of the video, and re-record the narrative. From what I saw of the current EOF/Narrative-Cutoff-Point relationship, I suspect that this will work.

Thanks again, bubba,

rh

• 8. Re: Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?
                        Steve Grisetti CommunityMVP

I'm most concerned about all that partitioning. I think you've probably crippled your machine with it.

Video editing performance relies on working with huge chunks of adjacent free space. If youv'e chopped up your hard drive so that you have no more than 20 gigs of space in each partition, this program is likely to choke every time you attempt an intensive function.

On today's modern NTFS drive, there really is no advantage to partitioning whatsoever. In fact, there are many more liabilities. In fact, most likely removing those partitions so that you've got one big, whole NTFS drive (and maybe a small partition for Windows recovery files) would solve pretty much all of your Premiere Elements problems.

That said, which drive/partition is your project file on?

• 9. Re: Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?

Hey, Musketeer Grisetti ...

Thanks for the further feedback, Steve.

"Drive: C:  Free Space: 142.3 GB  Total Space: 229.9 GB File System: NTFS"

I have 142.3 Gbytes free on Drive C:/ This is where the work gets done. It's too late to reformat the entire system, I have too many data files elsewhere.

Also, no other Adobe program has similar glitches, not even Photoshop when I feed it a monster 1.5Gbyte file with complex images and adjustments on over 36 layers.

Do be patient, Steve, and cut me a little slack. I'm going to try the "move the bloody EOF slider" trick. I may be wrong - God knows I've been wrong bigtime before - but I suspect that it will work, based on my observation that the narration stopped recording at the 30-second point past the EOF slider, as Romano brought up in ...

http://www.elementsvillage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61237

Again, this wasn't a failure of the overall Premiere Elements system or of the project, only a glitch in the narration process.

I'll report back on the results of my new attempt, probably sometime tomorrow.

rh

• 10. Re: Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?
                            the_wine_snob CommunityMVP

Please let us know how moving the WAB (Work Area Bar) works. I can certainly understand how that might interfere with recording narration.

As for Steve's comments on partitions, I did an article on them, when editing video. It might be useful in the future: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5274334#5274334

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?

"WAB" Sounds like an ethnic slur Athos. Am I showing my age by referring to the ol' ASCII "EOF" slider?

Will report back sometime tomorrow afternoon about the WAB/EOF test.

r

(Am assuming that you're Athos, Grisetti is Porthos, and Romano is Aramis. Yes?)

• 12. Re: Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?

It's not the Work Area Bar, it's the end of the video content that's the determining factor.

I put that slider two minutes beyond the end of my final video clip, and when the narration got 30 seconds past the visual, it turned off the Record feature.

I'd hoped to first get the narration down pat, then add and manipulate the final clips to fit the story-line. Now I think I'll create a blank Photoshop image and stretch it out beyond the anticipated end of my narrative, to see if this will let me finish my narrative line uninterrupted.

Will get back to you guys with the results of that test also.

But, the obvious result so far is that the video content is a determinant of microphone input, and as Romano observed there's a 30-second cut-off factor.

Back later . . .

r

• 13. Re: Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?

Bill . . .

Okay, okay!

My sole reason for partitions was to create logical filing areas. Made it easier to find items in different categories.

After reading your piece on partitioning, I'm more-or-less sold.

The problem now is that I'm functioning with an HP laptop that has a built-in drive, and I'm not sure how to solve the issue of my many partitions. (If this had been my lunchbox computer, no problem. I'd simply copy everything out, and reconstitute the drive from scratch.)

Is there any practical way that I can save all the data files to a outside backup drive, then de-partition my main drive? I'll have to keep Drive C: (Windows & Program data) and Drive D: ("Recovery"), but everything else can go, once I've copied out all the data files.

So, William, now what?

Roy

• 14. Re: Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?
                                    nealeh Community Member

There are plenty of free partitioning tools available. The one I currently have installed (having tried several of them) is 'Mini Tool Partition Wizard' that does pretty much all I've ever wanted.

Cheers,
                                    --
                                    Neale
                                    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 15. Re: Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?

Neale, thank you. Still, it may be a stickier problem than it seems on the surface.

Drive: C:  Free Space: 142.3 GB  Total Space: 229.9 GB File System: NTFS

Drive: D:  Free Space: 2.5 GB    Total Space: 17.4 GB   File System: NTFS

Drive: E:  CD/DVD reader writer

Drive: F:  Free Space: 37.6 GB   Total Space: 45.1 GB   File System: NTFS

Drive: G:  Free Space: 20.2 GB   Total Space: 45.1 GB   File System: NTFS

Drive: H:  Free Space: 32.4 GB   Total Space: 45.1 GB   File System: NTFS

Drive: I:  Free Space: 17.5 GB   Total Space: 45.1 GB   File System: NTFS

Drive: J:  Free Space: 15.3 GB   Total Space: 49.1 GB   File System: NTFS

Drive D: can't be changed. It's logged as "Recovery" and was already installed when I bought the HP.

I've emptied Drives F through J, copying all the data files to a free-standing backup drive.

However, "emptied" isn't exactly the right word. Sub-directories called "System Volume Information" remain on all drives, and the folders can't be opened nor their contents viewed. Clicking on them brings the message "System Volume Information is not accessable. Access is denied."

Right-clicking, though, allows me to check their propreties. According to Explore Properties, each of these SVI folders is empty ... that is, zero space in gigabytes. However, checking poperties of the "empty" drives, I see that between 4.7 and 5.5 Gbytes is used in each.

Hello?

My question is this: Will it be safe or even practical, whether through Windows Computer Management or MiniToolWizard, to delete partitions F through J and expand Drive C: to fill the space? As I get it, if I'm actually able to delete the partitions, according to Microsoft: "When you delete a hard disk partition or volume (the terms partition and volume are often used interchangeably), you create empty space that you can use to create new partitions." I want to expand Drive C:, but don't want to create new partitions. And if the fixed disc architecture has Drive D: physically behind Drive C:, is it realistic to think that Drive C: can be exapnded into the newly-emptied space?

I also wonder if I might be better off purchasing a new  Hitachi HTS725050A9A364. They cost about $75 new, and it might be worth my time to have a propellerhead migrate all of my Windows 7 data and programs frome Drives C: and D: over to the new drive, and use it to replace the current one.

Any ideas?

r

• 16. Re: Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?

Neale, I'm going to guess that these MiniTool guys are in Taiwan or China. Here's a brief example of their English:

"We provide 24X7 technician support, however licensed customer and registered user has [licenced customers and registered users have] higher priority than free Home Edition user [home users]. For fast service, please make sure [to] send us your registered email address and specify your question clearly. A screenshot of your partition layout will be very useful for our technicians to provide you the best solution/answer."

Hello?

Is there some chance that their software is as slipshod as their grasp of English?

rh

• 17. Re: Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?
                                          nealeh Community Member

I've used it plenty of times without any problems. It was my favourite of three free options I tried. The other two, that have free versions, are EaseUS and Paragon (the latter requires you register the software). Then there is also GParted the free Linux based partition tool (that works fine with Windows systems with its own boot disk).

All four I've listed can repartition without data loss* - if you decide to go for another product make sure that is top of your requirements. Otherwise you will have to restore all your data from backups.

Other tips - if you have set your user directories to other partititons (e.g. directed Videos to say F:) reset them all to C: immediately before repartititioing. It'll just speed up putting things in the right place afterward.

* It should go without saying that you should back up your entire system before doing something like repartitioning.

MiniTool Partition Wizard: Fortunately despite their web site language problems their Operations choices are succinctly labelled (click image for full size version).

1.jpg

Cheers,
                                          --
                                          Neale
                                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 18. Re: Why does "Narration" record turn itself off?

Thanks, bubba. I get that you're in Canada - eh? - or the UK. Or ... a Digger? A Kiwi?

According to Bill, the wear and tear on the drive is caused by the read/write magnetic stylus jumping long distances, and constantly going back and forth.

Do you have any idea of what the architecture of the disc segmentation looks like post un-partitioning? I mean, supposing that I dump everything following Drive D:, and increase the size of Drive C: to take up all the empty real estate left by the dumped partitions. Then, doe's the data on Drive D: sit sequentially behind the Drive C: data on the disc, so that the magnetic stylus has to do a long jump or high hurtal over Drive D: in order to get to the material in the newly-enlarged area?

I recall that earlier partitioning and de-fragmenting programs gave you a visual idea of what was going on. Does MiniTools do much the same? Also, possible to buy an upgrade version of the software? I always feel more comfortable using software I've paid for.

By the bye, don't know if you've read any of my previous gags, elsewhere in the PremEl forums:

First thing I learned when I joined the Valley Computer Club (San Fernando Valley, Los Angeles) was: "If it works, its obsolete."

And . . .

"There are exactly 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Thanks for the time you've invested in my headache. I'm in your debt, bubba,

Roy