11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2013 12:04 AM by garymanilow RSS

How do you create shapes??

garymanilow

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WSB530B861-7521-479a-8BA6-78942236B629. html

I can't understand the mumbo jumbo in those adobe tutorial things but it shows a screen shot of the thing I'm trying to navigate to, but can't find.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: How do you create shapes??
          Steve Grisetti MVP

Well, my book makes it clearer, if you're interested.

On the Shapes tab, you click to select a shape and then click and drag across your Monitor panel to draw that shape.

Is that not working for you?

• 2. Re: How do you create shapes??
            A.T. Romano Community Member

garymanilow

You wrote:

but it shows a screen shot of the thing I'm trying to navigate to, but can't find.

I am interpreting your question from a different perspective based on what you have written and the link with it screenshot that you reference.

You do not seem to be asking on what to do in the Titler and its Shape section. You seem to be asking how to find the Titler which has those sections for Text, Style, Animation, and Shape.

If that is the case, you can access the Titler (consequently that Text/Style/Animation/Shape area) in two different ways:

(a) Text Menu at top of interface/and select Default Text, Default Roll, or Default Crawl

(b)  Titles & Text Tab at the bottom of the interface/General/ and select Default Text, Default Roll, or Default Crawl.

Please answer SG's question and then mine if applicable to answer that you seek.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: How do you create shapes??
              the_wine_snob Community Member

Gary,

You have gotten some good information on the Shapes Tab in Titler from both Steve and ATR.

You are probably just a step away from doing exactly what you want.

First, are you using PrE 11, or an earlier version? The reason that I ask is that the Titler GUI changed with PrE 11.

When you are creating a Title, per ATR's instructions, or when you have Dbl-clicked on an existing Title, to edit that, you will invoke PrE's Titler, which is a sub-app. within PrE. In PrE 11, it is a tabbed interface, and where you want to look is the Shapes Tab (shown in that Help file), and then follow Steve's instructions to create and edit a Shape. With Styles, you can alter the Shape in many ways, such as Fill, Stroke, Drop Shadow, Glow, etc.

This shows the full PrE 11 GUI, with Titler launched, and the Shapes Tab highlighted:

PrE11_Titler_Shapes.png

In my example, I had an existing Title, Title_01, and Dbl-clicked on that, to open it in Titler. I went to the Shapes Tab (far-right), and added a white Filled Rectangle.

If you have an earlier version of PrE, than 11, let us know, as the placement of Shapes will be different.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 4. Re: How do you create shapes??

Hunt

Based on garymanilow prior thread, indicating use of Premiere Elements 11 coupled with reference that garymanilow posted, I addressed my comments to Premiere Elements 11 in post #2 of this thread..

ATR

• 5. Re: How do you create shapes??
                  the_wine_snob Community Member

Good info. I searched another thread, but did not see the version there either.

Thank you,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How do you create shapes??
                    garymanilow Community Member

Thanks all... Coming back here in 6 hrs and feel certain I'll find it based on what I've skimmed. Will follow up and click "yes" to the replies.

• 7. Re: How do you create shapes??

Hey guys.... I found it.

I think the easiest way to describe where to find shapes would be "It's under 'Titles'. Create a 'General Title', delete the default text and on the right the titles option box will have 'shapes' as an option'".

Bill, as for my strategy to mask the REC light, I am just creating little ellipses, matching the color generally to what is surrounding the REC light (In some cases altering the opacity of the ellipses) and plopping them over the top. The illusion seems to work just fine. Anybody looking for it could catch it but probably only if they were stopping the video, at least on the first clip. It's a pain in the butt, but worth it to get that horrible distracting REC light out of the viewers brain. I'll post the video here when its done so you can see. I'm sure there's more that could be done but it wouldn't be worth it at this stage in my editing education.

Steve, feel free to remind me about the book if we see each other again on the forums. Would be interested in seeing what you've put together.

• 8. Re: How do you create shapes??

Hey Bill and all....... I finished the video. The edits aren't immaculate, especially the turtle and the otter. You can definitely see the band-aids I applied with the shapes feature on those. But its not that awful and I was a little sloppy with those since I really just needed to put the project in the can and tend to my actual life.... You know? But the other band aids are basically invisible for the viewer. Thanks for the idea, even though I only went with step one. I think getting rid of 90% of the REC light was worth the extra 10 hours it took to preserve that section of the vid as viable. Its at 2 mins where the aquarium scene starts.

https://vimeo.com/68580817

Where do you guys post your stuff? Wouldn't mind checking it out...

• 9. Re: How do you create shapes??

garymanilow

Thank for the follow.up to

I think getting rid of 90% of the REC light was worth the extra 10 hours it took to preserve that section of the vid as viable. Its at 2 mins where the aquarium scene starts.

As a reference point, I am posting the link to your prior thread on the matter

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1232868?tstart=60

Very interesting and colorful footage. Did you use the same camera to shoot all the footage? If so, were you shooting 960p (1280 x 960 pixels) with a Go Pro camera or other?

Continuing success.

ATR

• 10. Re: How do you create shapes??

Hey A. T., Thanks...I used the GoPro for 95% of it. It's 1080p. The only time I used the regular Camcorder (Canon R300) was to use the night mode on the "blinking colors" fountain. This produced an orange tint on the white water and allowed me to then alter all of the colors. If your shot is of pure white water, then it stays white no matter what color effect you add. This one was my "homework assignment" and I definitely learned a lot. Couldn't have done it without this forum!

• 11. Re: How do you create shapes??

Oh, actually, some other shots of fountains at the beginning (the big one when color inverted caused the sky to be yellow, etc) were shot with another regular camcorder which I basically destroyed by getting it wet. That's the one in the very very last "scene" that I can't turn off. I stuck it in rice for two days and returned it in exchange for the GoPro... heh heh.