12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2013 1:24 PM by tepatroni

Image quality problem when Printing Booklet to PDF

tepatroni

Hi!

I've searched the entire web trying to find a working solution for my problem but I wasn't able to find anything...

I've created a A5 vertical page document in InDesign CS6, filled with High-Quality photographs. I now want to print it as a booklet (to a PDF file) so I can save it and print it in a professional establishment.

The problem is, when I do this, the image quality turns out terrible...

I've checked my Print Settings and I can't find anything wrong...

Setup - A4 horizontally, and Graphics - Images - Send Data - is set to All.

Is there anything else I can do/try? What can I be doing wrong?

Here is an image of my print settings:

printsettings_ind.png

When I export the document normally to PDF the image quality is fine, but it doesn't have the booklet layout which I need, it just exports single A5 pages one after the other. If I try to print this pdf as a booklet in Adobe Reader the same thing happens to the images, they loose quality.

Please help!!

• 1. Re: Image quality problem when Printing Booklet to PDF
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

tepatroni wrote:

I now want to print it as a booklet (to a PDF file) so I can save it and print it in a professional establishment.

Did you check withthei "professional establishment" as to what they want. Commercial printers do not, in general, want you to impose the document. That's their job and they need to do it in a way that fits the paper and equipment they use for the printing.

That said, your problem with low quality images is probably the default PDF settings. Either change them to something useful in the Pringter properties in Windows, or click the Setup button in the Print dialog to access the driver from there and set them as you'd like. I'm pretty sure the default when the PDF printer is installed is "standard" which gives you 72 ppi RGB output.

• 2. Re: Image quality problem when Printing Booklet to PDF
            tepatroni Level 1

Hi! Thank you for your quick and helpful answer.

There's definetly something wrong with the PDF printer properties... It was on standard default, as you said... but it still didn't work when I changed it to press quality (also tried high-quality print), changed the dpi's and other few settings on the advanced preferences

My solution was to download a free-trial of a professional pdf editor/creator (Soda PDF) and print it to that program... but, of course, this is not a long-term solution...

I'll try and see if I can find any help in changing the settings to get the best quality in printing of the adobe acrobat program.

Thanks!

p.s: I think I meant to say "graphic press" when I wrote professional establishment, I'm not sure how you say it in English.

• 3. Re: Image quality problem when Printing Booklet to PDF

If you are giving this to a commercial printing company of some sort you should not be making the booklet unless specifically asked to do so, and if you are asked to do it you should either be getting a terrific discount onthe price for doing their work for them, or you should be looking for a new printer.

Print Booklet is really intended for printing in-house in an office-type environment or MAYBE for taking to your local office store like Staples or Kinkos in the US (I'm guessing you have something similar where you are), but these are not really commercial printers and generally have inexperienced workers who are not capable of producing high quality output.

Did you save the new default in the Adobe PDF printer properties?  Did you check the driver settings by pressing the Print Setup button in the Print Booklet dialog and then the Setup button in the print dialog?

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Image quality problem when Printing Booklet to PDF
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

When I export the document normally to PDF the image quality is fine, but it doesn't have the booklet layout which I need...

My solution was to download a free-trial of a professional pdf editor/creator (Soda PDF) and print it to that program... but, of course, this is not a long-term solution...

Have you tried exporting and using AcrobatPro's booklet printing

Screen Shot 2013-06-16 at 1.06.23 PM.png

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Image quality problem when Printing Booklet to PDF
                  tepatroni Level 1

Oh! I assumed I needed to print booklet so the pages rearranged in the right way to form a booklet!
                  I'm doing this project at my university and this is the first time I'm printing something that needs this type of attention, so I'm not yet sure what they want, or don't want, me to do... I will find out.

Should I take the inDesign project to the printing company then?... Or should it be a normal exported PDF? Just because if I export it to pdf it appears in single, separated A5 pages instead of the layout I have in the inDesign project (Facing A5 pages)... Or are they perfectly able to make a booklet from that pdf?

I did all those things and it's much better now, all though the colors suddenly are a bit off, but I'm sure with a little bit experamenting I'll find the right configuration for the colors.

• 6. Re: Image quality problem when Printing Booklet to PDF
                    tepatroni Level 1

Hi Rob, thank you for your answer. I did try that approach, but since the problem was/is in the Printer properties the quality remained the same. I'm now trying different configurations there until I find the press quality I want... Thanks!

• 7. Re: Image quality problem when Printing Booklet to PDF

I did all those things and it's much better now, all though the colors suddenly are a bit off, but I'm sure with a little bit experamenting I'll find the right configuration for the colors.

Export to PDF/X-4

• 8. Re: Image quality problem when Printing Booklet to PDF

but since the problem was/is in the Printer properties the quality remained the same.

Don't Print the PDF, Export. The printer can handle the imposition. Simple 2-up booklets can be imposed out of Acrobat without additional imposition software.

You don't want to send out imposed documents because you can't know what the imposition needs of the printer are—2-up, 4-up, creep, etc?

• 9. Re: Image quality problem when Printing Booklet to PDF
                          tepatroni Level 1

Yes, exporting the PDF works fine regarding the image quality. My problem was that to have a arranged booklet pdf I needed to print it to pdf, since I can't setup the booklet when exporting.

• 10. Re: Image quality problem when Printing Booklet to PDF

There are a number of alternatives to Print Booklet for imposing a file in ID before (or after) exporting to PDF. For simple two-up impositons like yours there are free scripts from Dave Saunders among others (http://pdsassoc.com/downloads/Buildbooklet.zip and Dave's CS3 Booklet Script) as well  as the more fully-featured IDImposer plugin, also currently free at Overview | IDImposer. For imposing the exported PDF are there are the Acrobat plugins Quite Imposing and PDF Snake, neither of which I've used, and probably some scripts, too, similar to Dave's.

But let me repeat that you should only be imposing if the printer tells you to. Supplying an imposed file when they want single pages can actually make it impossible for them to work.

• 11. Re: Image quality problem when Printing Booklet to PDF

My problem was that to have a arranged booklet pdf

In Addition to  Peter's points, how do you know what the imposition requirements are if you aren't communicating with printer? What if they need page 4- or 8-up? What if the imposition needs a creep allowance?

• 12. Re: Image quality problem when Printing Booklet to PDF
                                tepatroni Level 1

I get your point guys. This is a simple university work, I never did this before and did not know there would be so many requirements that I needed to communicate with a printer. My idea was to export 2 pdfs, one with the booklet layout and one normally, but I get it - I will go to the printer and ask exactly how do they want the file. I thought there would be a standard imposition requirement to take a document to a printer and make them print it as a booklet..that's all.

Thank you for your opinion and help