8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2013 9:23 AM by johnnyslice

212 Hours To Render

johnnyslice

I'm rendering a 90 minute ad in AE using lots of affects. I'm working on a MacBook Pro with 4 GB of Memory.  I have 114 GB of available space on my computer.  AE says my redered file would be 105GB and would take 212 hours to render. I know I'm due some upgrades but maybe my process is wrong.  Should I render in Adobe Premiere instead? My rendering settings are 8 bit, I was looking to render a H.264, I included Source XMP Metadata, and I've done a few other things to optimze rendering. How can I cut rendering time down to hours at least?  Happy Father's Day if it applies.

• 1. Re: 212 Hours To Render
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Sorry, but that's one of those "Will my car go faster with rocket fuel?" questions. Without knowing what effects you use with what settings and what else is involved, nobody can give any specific advise. You could use a single effect that might be causing that. Beyond that: Rendering a 90minute film in AE on a MBP? Could be perfectly normal. The footage I/O alone with slow notebook harrdrives could account for half that time and adding intense effects doesn't help. Even if you optimize it, "hours at least" is probably an unrealistic assumption. It will always take quite, quite long. I've rendered 30 second pieces that took 7 hours or more. Rendering in Premiere would achieve nothing, most likely, either. And by all means stay away from rendering to H.264 or any clip format for that matter. If it already takes so long, then chances are good it will crash somewhere along the way and then you'll lose all your work. Render to an image sequence. PNG, JPEG, compressed TIFFs wil ldo just fine without eating up all your disk space. You can always assemble the whole thing in a second pass, which should be reasonably fast.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: 212 Hours To Render
            Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

johnnyslice wrote:

I'm rendering a 90 minute ad

A 90 minute ad?  Like advertisement? I've never heard of such a thing, i must confess.

I'm working on a MacBook Pro with 4 GB of Memory.

This is your primary problem.  4GB is barely enough to run OS X, let alone an effect-laden AE project.  You desperately need more RAM.

I have 114 GB of available space on my computer.  AE says my redered file would be 105GB and would take 212 hours to render.

More problems here.  If you are rendering content that contains hours(ish) of footage, you need much more storage space.  You can buy an external 1TB drive for around 60 bucks these days.

• 3. Re: 212 Hours To Render
              johnnyslice Level 1

You've all confirmed the inevitable...upgrade, upgrade, upgrade.  Now, to get me through this project until I can afford to upgrade (which I hope is very soon:-), Can I transfer a Mac based After Effect project to a PC?  My manager has a robust pc with After Effects and he says I can use his computer to render.  Is this possible?  And my project is 90 Seconds, not 90 Minutes.

• 4. Re: 212 Hours To Render
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Sure. The project format is cross-platform. just be awre that certain specific CoDecs liek Quicktime ProRes won't be available on PC or at least behave differently. Otehrwise, now that you say it's only 90 seconds, 212 hours indeed sounds beyond anyy reason, but we still don't know what actually is going on in your project, so we can't advise.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: 212 Hours To Render
                  johnnyslice Level 1

90 seconds, not minutes.

• 6. Re: 212 Hours To Render
                    johnnyslice Level 1

Thanks,

90 seconds, not minutes but your comments still applies.

• 7. Re: 212 Hours To Render
                      johnnyslice Level 1

Maybe it's my movie clips.  I think I need to go in and shorten them to only what I'm using vs croping them (if you will) in After Effects.  Let me begin there.

Thanks a mil, Myl:-)

• 8. Re: 212 Hours To Render
                        johnnyslice Level 1

Closure...My Ray Trace Quality was set to 6 for my 3D Renderings.  Once I reduced it to 1, my rendering time went down below 3-hours.  I can wait three hours and loose 3d quality until I catch up with the big boys.  Thanks dudes.  PS. Anyone with a Macbook Pro fully loaded with memory and space, looking to unload it for about a grand:-) Wishful thinking!), let me know.