5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2013 2:29 PM by the_wine_snob

.vob to .avi files

dandmbauman

I have just upgraded to premiere elements 11.  In the past I have always changed my .vob files to .avi files through mpeg streamclip.  Should I still be doing this?  I know pe11 says it can handle .vob files, but does it go more smoothly if they are .avi files?  Thanks...pretty novice at this.

• 1. Re: .vob to .avi files
          A.T. Romano Level 7

dandmbauman

Where are these .vob files now? Are they on a DVD-VIDEO on DVD waiting to be ripped off in Premiere Elements 11 or did you receive them as a bunch of separate files burned to a disc for storage purposes?

If they are still on DVD-VIDEO on DVD, I would give the Premiere Elements 11 Add Media/"DVD camera or Computer Drive"/Video Importer a try to bring these .vob files into Project Assets and the project.

If you are importing dv.avi files, then you would use Premiere Elements 11 Add Media/Files and Folder to get the dv.avi into Project Assets and from there to the Timeline Expert view.

Make your comparsion with your specific files in your specific computer environment. In Premiere Elements 11, please make sure that you or the program are setting the correct project preset for your source media. The program take this task over, sometimes doing it correctly, and sometimes not. If it is not doing it correctly, then you must step in and set the project preset (File Menu/New/Project) before you import your media.

Please update us on your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: .vob to .avi files
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Why don't you do a test with some vob files, so you will know how things work on your computer?

Read Bill Hunt on editing a VOB/MPG file http://forums.adobe.com/thread/464549

• 3. Re: .vob to .avi files
              dandmbauman Level 1

The files are on a dvd in my dvd drive in the computer.  I just remember reading in past pe versions, that if I changed them all to .avi files, premiere elements could handle them better in the long run. I did add them to my project assets successfully, I just wasn't sure if it would be better to convert them beforehand.

• 4. Re: .vob to .avi files
                dandmbauman Level 1

Thanks for the responses.  I will try test files to see how they do.  I usually do 20-30 minute videos so I was worried that it may handle a short test fine, but choke on a longer video.  Thanks again.

• 5. Re: .vob to .avi files
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Provided that they are 100% DVD-compliant, then PrE 11 should Import, and edit them just fine.

That would be my first course of action, to judge those results.

Good luck,

Hunt