6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2013 5:38 AM by chande a k

Enhancing DVD Video for Big Projection in Cinema Hall

chande a k Level 1

I have a Wedding DVD project of 50 Mts duration. Now my client want it to be Projected in Cinema Hall for viewing of whole family. To-day I had trial run. Screen is too BIG screen is 37' wide, quality appeared to be poor.  Is there any way to enhance the VIDEO Quality so that Projected Image is acceptable.. I have very short time. Any help, guidance will be highly appreciated

• 1. Re: Enhancing DVD Video for Big Projection in Cinema Hall
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

Was the project shot and edited in SD resolution, or did you

shoot and edit in an HD format then export to DVD for delivery?

If the shoot / edit was HD, you can go back and do another export

in a format that is more appropriate for the projection.

• 2. Re: Enhancing DVD Video for Big Projection in Cinema Hall
            chande a k Level 1

It is SD footage.. But I am told that it can be enhanced so that I can get acceptable result. Can you suggest any programme which can enhance the quality. I tried to enhance the quality, or you can say I converted through Wondershare Video convertor to HD size, it is some better than SD footage but not upto the mark.

Is there any other better way.   Also next month I have to show in the same hall my HD footage to a gathering of about 200 persons. HD projection also appears to me not upto acceptable level.

Projector operator of the Hall has suggested Project  through Satelite projection system.,  It is very costlly, and I have never tried or seen the quality.  I fail to understand how this is possible,  without enhancing the VIDEO Quality.

I shall be glad If somebody in the forum have any idea as to what is the best option available.

• 3. Re: Enhancing DVD Video for Big Projection in Cinema Hall
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Make sure the DVD/bluray player does hardware "upscaling." This works better than trying to use software.

Joe's suggestion of redelivery in bluray is best, but I assume you have no time for this event.

• 4. Re: Enhancing DVD Video for Big Projection in Cinema Hall
                joe bloe premiere Level 5

Can you suggest any programme which can enhance the quality.

Many have reported achieving good results using

Magic Bullet Instant HD for upres of SD footage.

Be aware that you will be cropping part of your 4x3 frame

when converting to a 16x9 HD format.

• 5. Re: Enhancing DVD Video for Big Projection in Cinema Hall
                  Biggles Lamb Level 3

I have Magic Bullet Instant HD and it works BUT the results are varyable depending upon the source material and output format, Joe is correct about the cropping but there are options you can choose for the output

I have achieved better upscaling using TMPG

Virtualdub/avisynth does an even better job but is far harder to master.

That said at the club I go to we regularly project DVD via our upscaling Bluray player with great results, it may be worth checking out some different players at your local Mall as the output quality does vary

As for future, how about a media player such as a Western Digital, HDMI/component outputs, or for something cheap but great a Raspberry PI mini PC, there is a media player operating system available and you have that on an SD card and the video on a memory stick, mine works great on video encoded up to 30mbps so a 20mbps HD file plays great

• 6. Re: Enhancing DVD Video for Big Projection in Cinema Hall
                    chande a k Level 1

Thank you Biggies Lamb., I have no problem in upscalling from SD to HD which as mention in my post., I have done this with Wonder share convertor and so far as quality is concerned it is satisfactory.  But my main concern was for bigger projection on 37' wide screen and that too in Cinema hall.  As I had very little time left I had done the job with Blu-Ray, although there was no complain, but I think it would have been better if Even HD Footage had been enhanced.

Thank you all for trying to help me