7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2013 6:20 AM by Rick Gerard

How time consuming is Rotoscoping?

bradmagnus Level 1

I've done some training on the topic, but I've never really done Roto? I have a client that gave me several clips on green and one with a background, and wants it comped into one cohesive story.

The piece with a background is approximately 70 seconds in total. How much work is that in all actuality? Here's a super tiny thumb, that shows part of the background:

2013-06-17_1240.png

The client is looking for a ballpark. I really appreciate the feedback!

• 1. Re: How time consuming is Rotoscoping?
          aronbothman Level 3

Hi Brad! 

Based on the differences in color and value between the foreground and background in the sample image you uploaded, it seems like you might be able to do a lot of the work procedurally, which would be a matter of experimenting with different Color Key effects. 

The time required to do it by hand (which would mean animating keyframes on a mask) would totally depend on how much the actor moves, as well as the type of footage (24 fps or 30 fps?), but 70 seconds is a lot and it wouldn't be surprising to get up to 15-20 hours with something like this if you weren't able to do any of it procedurally. 

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How time consuming is Rotoscoping?
            Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

A youtube sample of the 70 seconds will give us a much better idea about the roto time. This could be a very good candidate for rotobrush so it would take under an hour. As aronbothman said, the amount of time depends entirely on the amount of movement and the complexity of the mask.

• 3. Re: How time consuming is Rotoscoping?
              bradmagnus Level 1

I was hoping to use the Rotobrush for sure! Not manually heyframing masks, that sounds like torture I won't be able to upload the entire 70 second clip, as it's all part of an hour or so interview. When I get a chance later this evening, I'll upload one of the shorter clips.

Rick Gerard wrote:

A youtube sample of the 70 seconds will give us a much better idea about the roto time. This could be a very good candidate for rotobrush so it would take under an hour. As aronbothman said, the amount of time depends entirely on the amount of movement and the complexity of the mask.

• 4. Re: How time consuming is Rotoscoping?
                bradmagnus Level 1

Thanks for the suggest. You think that if I do enough precomps, I can gradually get each of the colors using Keylight? (My assumption is that you do several precomps?) Doing masks isn't an option. I was hoping for some input on Rotobrush specifically. I've not done very much of that.

aronbothman wrote:

Hi Brad! 

Based on the differences in color and value between the foreground and background in the sample image you uploaded, it seems like you might be able to do a lot of the work procedurally, which would be a matter of experimenting with different Color Key effects. 

The time required to do it by hand (which would mean animating keyframes on a mask) would totally depend on how much the actor moves, as well as the type of footage (24 fps or 30 fps?), but 70 seconds is a lot and it wouldn't be surprising to get up to 15-20 hours with something like this if you weren't able to do any of it procedurally. 

• 5. Re: How time consuming is Rotoscoping?
                  aronbothman Level 3

Something like that, although you wouldn't have to precomp it each time, since you can layer Color Key effects like any other kind of effect.  Should be worth a try, as it'll be pretty quick to see whether or not it will work.  You might try a Luma Key, too, since it seems like the actor is pretty consistently darker value than the BG. 

• 6. Re: How time consuming is Rotoscoping?
                    bradmagnus Level 1

aronbothman wrote:

Something like that, although you wouldn't have to precomp it each time, since you can layer Color Key effects like any other kind of effect.  Should be worth a try, as it'll be pretty quick to see whether or not it will work.  You might try a Luma Key, too, since it seems like the actor is pretty consistently darker value than the BG. 

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any combination of keying effects that would deal with all the issues of the frame. I ended up having to rotobrush, and your estimated time was pretty close. 70seconds at 30fps took me about 10hrs done in 2 passes. I've never been so bored.... Thanks!

• 7. Re: How time consuming is Rotoscoping?
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I primarily use the rotobezier option, but the technique works just the same with bezier masks. My technique is to select the g key to bring up the pen tool, then use Alt/Option and Ctrl/Cmnd to shift through the tools from select to convert. The key to effectively using the technique is to very carefully observe the cursor as you move the mouse over the points you want to adjust. Take a quick look at this mini tutorial. You'll see how multiple points may be selected and how things are adjusted quickly to line up a mask.

1 person found this helpful