4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2013 3:08 PM by Dave Bezesky

Problem with idlk files not closing

Dave Bezesky Level 1

I am running InDesign CS6, version 8 on a MacBook Pro.  The MacBook is running OS X 10.8.3.

When I close files, the .idlk files stay open.  Then I have trouble reopening them. InDesign thinks that another user is modifying the file.

So, I cannot save files, nor can I reopen them,  InDesign thinks the file is open by someone else when in fact no one is.

If I restart, the idlk files are cleared out.

I am completely stumped by this.  I have tried uninstalling then reinstalling the application with no luck.

• 1. Re: Problem with idlk files not closing
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

How long are you waiting for the lock files to be deleted?

I suspect you have some conflict with either a plugin in ID, or some other program running in the background that is preventing the lock file from being deleted.

• 2. Re: Problem with idlk files not closing
            Dave Bezesky Level 1

I have found lock files still open days after closing a file.

This is a new computer and I have had problems with ID since switching to it from my old iMac.  I am also experiencing another problem.  Occasionally when I print a file, ID crashes.  Once it crashes I cannot get it to open again until i reboot.  Otherwishe it crashes immediately upon trying to start the program.  Very frustrating.  I have never had a problem with ID before this new laptop and I've been using it heavily on a daily basis for 12 years.  I am in the process of updating 9 books and I am stopped in my tracks by this issue.

• 3. Re: Problem with idlk files not closing
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Were you running CS6 on the old Mac? Is it updated to 8.0.1? Do you have any third-party plugins (including a font manager auto-activation plugin)?

What's running on the new Mac that wasn't on the old one?

• 4. Re: Problem with idlk files not closing
                Dave Bezesky Level 1

No, I just opened the Adobe Applications Manager and see there is an update to install.  I am going to do the update and try again.  Also, I need to check into file permissions and see if the same problem occurs when editing files from my laptop, from my file server, and from Dropbox.  I will check back in after checking these things.  Thank you for your responses!