9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2013 2:03 PM by A.T. Romano

Why is it doing this now?

Gamerfreak9101

The download speed was perfectly fine for like 3 days, and now it just horrible again and the file size and things of that nature are the same. I have been using the same preset for all the downloads, and I just don't know why it is taking longer. The upload speed is quick as usual. Can anyone help this is really starting to get annoying.

• 1. Re: Why is it doing this now?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gamer

Your new thread appears to be the continuation of your other current thread on this type of situation:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5413709#5413709

From what we talked about in the other thread, it appears you are referring to "download speed" to indicate the time it is taking you to export your Timeline completely to a file type saved to your computer hard drive. And, that file type is HD wmv. And, when you talk about "upload speed", you are talking about the amount of time it takes the video to appear in Project Assets after you initiate the Add Media process. Have I understood that correctly?

The export time is going to depend on the computer and the complexity of the file being encoded processed. You say that the "file size and things of that nature" are the same good times versus the now bad times. But are they really? In this latest run, are you saying that effects, transitions, titles, track(s), and relationship of the tracks to one another is all the same?

From the good until now, have you been working at such a pace as to generate pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, conformed video? Have you been multitasking more so than previously during the exporting?

Please review and let us see if we can pin point the day to day or project to project variability that you are observing.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why is it doing this now?
            Gamerfreak9101 Level 1

Romano, you have misunderstood. I used the Youtube Widescreen Preset, with slightly edited settings. At which time the downloads to my computer were maybe 30 minutes. Now the one I am currently doing with that exact same preset is taking over 5 hours. I do not understand why. It shouldn't just suddenly take longer. I should also add I don't use the effects of adobe, I merely use it as the middle-man to add my outro to my videos, and then download them, to upload them to youtube manually. Another thing is that it is not using wmv its using mp4 to my knowledge.

• 3. Re: Why is it doing this now?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gamer

I was not sure of what you were doing based on the description you gave of your situation at the onset of your original thread that I cited in post #1 in this thread.

But, I asked questions and the answers that I thought I got from you made me think that we were in sync regarding your references to uploading and downloading, rather importing and exporting.

So best we go back, compare notes, and get a firmer details base. Let us refer to your post #2 in this thread.

1. Are you saying that you are in Premiere Elements 11 Windows? Have imported your media (whatever it may be) using Add Media to get it into Project Assets and from there you drag it to the Timeline for edit. OK, so far?

2. Are you saying that you then take that Timeline and go to Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD and use Presets = YouTube Widescreen HD (maybe make some changes of export settings under the Advanced Button/Video and Audio Tabs of the preset), and then hit Save to export that Timeline to a AVCHD.mp4 file on the hard drive.

3. Here is the critical question if I am on track so far. Are you questioning the amount of time that it takes for that particular AVCHD.mp4 export to go to completion, 30 minutes time versus 5 hours time?

It is your use of the terms download coupled with upload that is making me wonder about the whole question. I am not a stickler for terminology just as long as I know we are talking about the same thing.

But, assuming that you agree with my posted understanding, the important matter is why the difference in export times. Obviously answer seems to be: it has got to be in the computer or the media on the Timeline.

a. To rule out the media which you think are all the same...do you have the project saved that gave you the 30 export time. If so, open that project and see if you can still get that Timeline exported in 30 minutes. Then confirm that the present project is still giving you the 5 hours export time.

b. Rethink the Timeline content to make sure you are not overlooking something different you have done in terms of the complexity of the Timeline. Check your Advanced Button/Video and Audio Tabs export settings to determine if you have unknowingly changed a setting...or are you using the same customized export setting each time? What are we talking about in terms of duration of the Timeline that is heading to become an AVCHD.mp4 (is this AVCHD 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720)...do all your exports have the same frame size and variable bitrate settings? Apparently you are ruling out the application of effects from this matter.

c. Go over your computer to make sure it is still optimized...from the point of view of Premiere Elements.... pile ups of previews and conformed audio and video files. Check the Scratch Disks (Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks to make sure that they are still directed to a location that has enough free hard drive space to accept them.

Please review and do not hesitate to let me know if I am still out of sync with what you are doing and asking.

Thanks for the follow up and asking for clarification on the communications. Very important.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Why is it doing this now?
                Gamerfreak9101 Level 1

Okay, you are kind of following me, but not quite. For one, when I refer to wehn I go and upload it, I mean upload to Youtube, and at that point I have closed out premiere elements. I will check the scratch disk problem, but I assume it isn't that because I just got the computer and it has a terrabyte hard drive. The settings  are the same because I just click where it says in custom presets or whatever Copy of Youtube Widescreen HD. So that should be fine. As for the amount of time that it takes for the AVCHD.mp4 export to become finished, I was wondering what is the difference. I have had bigger videos download onto my pc and uploaded to Youtube much quicker. Hope I answered the questions you had, and I hope you can answer mine.

• 5. Re: Why is it doing this now?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Gamer

Thank you for the reply.

Please let us know the outcome from your look at the scratch disks location and required space for them. On more than one occasion I have gotten improved program performance from a good flushing out of the preview files and conformed audio and media files...that is even with almost 931 GB of free space available on the computer. Where are all those Scratch Disks pointing:

a. Local Disk C

b. External Hard Drive (formatted NTFS)

Were you able to do the following as suggested in a previous post in this thread:

a. To rule out the media which you think are all the same...do you have the project saved that gave you the 30 export time. If so, open that project and see if you can still get that Timeline exported in 30 minutes. Then confirm that the present project is still giving you the 5 hours export time.

ATR

• 6. Re: Why is it doing this now?
                    Gamerfreak9101 Level 1

It says I have 726 GB where it is being directed, by clean out what do you mean I should delete, the folder they go to? Please respond as quickly as you can.

• 7. Re: Why is it doing this now?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Gamer

When things get out of sorts on the computer with one of my versions of Premiere Elements, here is my drill

a. Documents/Adobe Folder/Premiere Elements/number for specific version

Delete the preview files in the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder (that can get huge with a lot of rendering...avi files from SD project renders and .mpg files from HD project renders)....worst case scenario with deleting these files, you will need to re-render your Timeline which is a preview thing only.

b. Documents/Adobe Folder/Premiere Elements/number of specific version

Delete the conformed audio in the Media Cache Folder (these are cfa and pek sets)...worst case scenario, the program will regenerate the files as needed.

c. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and click on the Clean Button there to get rid of the conformed video files (.mcdb). The actual path to them on the hard drive is shown in that preferences Media area. But you can deal with them in preferences...worst case scenario, the program will regenerate the files as needed.

d. Run the ccleaner regular (on special occasion, the registry cleaner part also)...no horror stories, great cleaner.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

e. Make sure my external drives letter is not changing. Also, check that my Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disk location have not switched on their own for reasons unknown...rarely happens but good to check.

f. Get rid of anything that is not serving a worthwhile function on the computer.

If I think of anymore, I will post....I let Windows manage the memory.

Hope all is going and will go better. We will watch for your progress.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 8. Re: Why is it doing this now?
                        Gamerfreak9101 Level 1

Okay, well I don't want to use anything that is going to automatically get rid of my files, so ccleaner is out of the question. I tryed the other things and its now still climbing in time just to get the darn video on my computer. This is getting freaking ridiculous why does adobe take so long to get a little 9 minute 512 MB video downloaded. This makes no sense what so ever. I did all the steps and it is still as slow as molasses. Please can you shed some light on why this simple process is going so slow. Sorry to sound out of hand here but I am getting flipping mad now.

• 9. Re: Why is it doing this now?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gamer

We are a Premiere Elements user to user community with few visits from those identifying themselves as Adobe staff.

If you are still not achieving export time from Premiere Elements 11 Publish+Share/Computer/.... that you expect, then it is time for you to contact Adobe while you are still in the status of purchased/registered/current version (hopefully within 30 or maybe 90 days of purchase.)

I would have liked to have seen the results of a one on one comparison between  file(s) that exported at what you described as perfect speed from Premiere Elements 11 versus those that had export times that you felt were excessive. Did you do that and is it reported in this thread somewhere that I missed?

I am not sure just what more I can add to what I have said so far including my post #7. I understand you do not want to go the ccleaner route which would have been very helpful, but so be it. Have you mentioned or considered a complete and clean deactivate (Help Menu/Deactivate) and then uninstall (Control Panel) and reinstall?

ATR