12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2013 10:00 PM by fryque

No sound from MOV video

fryque

I imported an MOV into Premiere Elements v11 on my Dell 7010 i7 with Win 7 Pro 64. I know that the recorded volume was low, and I wanted to increase it. However, once imported, there is NO sound at all. When played in Media Player, on max the volume is about a 4 out of 10 [you can see why I wanted to increase it some.] Even with my Bose sound system output there is NO sound at all when played in Premiere.

I imported an mp4 and the sound for it was okay.

• 1. Re: No sound from MOV video
          A.T. Romano Level 7

fryque

Need to ask the classical questions that need ruling in or out:

Since the .mp4 is OK, can we assume that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer?

1. You know that .mov and .mp4 as just file extensions that represent the wrapper formats of the video and audio compression. Sometimes the combo makes a difference in Premiere Elements. So first question, what are the audio as well as the video properties of this .mov that you are importing, starting with video and audio compression.

2. When you import this .mov into Premiere Elements, do you see the video represented on Video 1 and the audio represented on Audio 1 (including some trace of a wave form in spite of the low volume). And when you import the .mov into Premiere Elements is there any indexing or conforming going on as evidenced by progress bar or notes at the bottom of the inferface? If so, do you wait for its completion before proceeding in your workplace activities?

3. I would not expect that you would be able to do any significant volume enhancement for this low volume clip in Premiere Elements. The sound in the program presents as 0.0 dB representing the volume of the original file. You can increase the volume above its recorded volume to 6.0 dB. But that is not going to do much. Another way to increase the sound is to make copies of the audio on Audio 1 and stack the copies one above the other in the audio tracks above Audio 1. It might take a lot of stacking in your case.

You mentioned that the .mov volume in Window Media Player is about a "4 out of 10". By comparison what is that of the .mp4 under similar conditions in Windows Media Player?

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: No sound from MOV video
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Exactly what is inside that MOV wrapper?

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

For PC http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en or http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

• 3. Re: No sound from MOV video
              fryque Level 1

1. Will attempt to find the answer to this.

2. There is a video and audio track. I see no waveform. I see no difference between the mov audio and the mp4 video. I believe I need to research codecs.

3. I do not believe stacking will help here as I believe that if an audio codec is missing, then there is no sound to work with.

I have the latest quicktime pro.

the test mp4 is a 10 when the settings are maxed as they were for the mov.

Now, I did another thing that may answer some of this. [don't get mad at the wild things.]

I took the file to a iMac. I cut out a 2 minute clip. I shared the file using the Mac share with it set to Mac and PC. The resulting file was an mp4. I sent the mp4 to my PC and it plays on Media Player, and it plays in Premiere with good sound. So the sound is there. There is just a codec processed by the Apple iMac that is not on my PC. Know where I might look for that?

d

• 4. Re: No sound from MOV video
                A.T. Romano Level 7

fryque

Thanks for the follow up.

Right now I am talking Windows....

There is free utility named gspot which usually works well to identify missing codecs. It gives audio name, codec, and status (undetermined, Codec installed, or Codec not installed).

http://gspot.headbands.com/v26x/quick_start.html

If we look for a more extensive properties readout for a file with video and audio, then we might look at the free MediaInfo.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

But right now I think that the utility named gspot should serve our purpose.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: No sound from MOV video
                  fryque Level 1

Ran the gspot. First I ran it on an mp4 and it showed all of the info.

Then I ran it on the mov and it showed that it was a quicktime mov. Otherwise the entire page was blank. No codecs, no audio, no missing codecs, just blank.

• 6. Re: No sound from MOV video
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

fryque

If you run the MediaInfo for your .mov file, do you get a properties readout for that, using MediaInfo's tree view?

It is not going to make give a Codec Status report, but I am hoping it will give us the properties readout with enough information to decide what next.

If you obtained this .mov from a camera source, what were your expectations for this .mov in terms of video and audio compression and camera settings?

ATR

• 7. Re: No sound from MOV video
                      fryque Level 1

If I click on the button to go to the codec website, it just goes to the quicktime site.

d

• 9. Re: No sound from MOV video
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

fryque

Thanks for the properties information for your .mov file presenting in Premiere Elements 11 Windows without sound.

This is the first time I am running into a file with the video codec = Pro Res apcn, audio codec in24 PCM, wrapped with a .mov format. From my reading, this might be an intermedary type file for a workflow. I do not see it supported by Premiere Elements 11 for import, but I would need to do more research on that or actually look at the file before I finalized that thought.

While I am thinking further on all this, I am going to reach out on a long shot.

What are you or the program setting as the Premiere Elements 11 project preset for this 1280x720 @ 59.97 progressive frames per second file? You can check that under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General/ and listings for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.

Premiere Elements 11 is setup to take charge of setting the project preset to match the properties of the first video file dragged to the Timeline. Sometimes, it does that OK; sometimes, not, and, if not, ends up giving your the program's default of NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 (for an NTSC setup).

If that is what is happening to you, then set the project preset yourself. In your case,

File Menu/New/Project and set for

NTSC AVCHD AVCHD LITE 720p60

ot

NTSC DSLR 720p DSLR 720p60

Make sure that you have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on this project", and then exit the new project dialog. Then, when you are in the Premiere Elements workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders to get your apcn.mov into Project Assets and from there to the Timeline. Any sound?

If none, please right click the file on the Timeline, select Unlink Audio and Video. Then go back to the Timeline and double click the audio to open the Preview Window. In that Preview Window display, do you see

a. a flat horizonal lines that stretches across the mid section of the content

b. nothing

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: No sound from MOV video
                          fryque Level 1

Setting changes had no effect.

b. nothing

don

• 11. Re: No sound from MOV video
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

fryque

By any chance do you have access to QuickTime Pro where you could convert this apcn.mov with in14 PCM audio into some other formats. Not sure if H.264.mov with AAC audio is a viable choice?

MPEG Streamclip might be a possible choice of a converter?

ATR

• 12. Re: No sound from MOV video
                              fryque Level 1

i have quicktime pro. i do not yet know how to do that conversion. however, tomorrow i am spending the day converting the video[s] on an iMac. The output will have sound. I have tested a two minute clip and it works. so i have decided to do the whole video. it will take quite some time but i think that I want to get on with the project and not spend more time "trying" things.

thanks for all of the help so far. I will let you know how it goes.

d