3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2014 3:25 AM by morrisonandmorrison

how to convert the inDesign table to create outline object with table Rule

RohitRojal

Hi,

I have  some problem when i try to convert tables to create outline object. The table rules are not captured. Could you please suggest is their any way to convert a whole table including the outlines and row and column rules to outline object?

Thanks,

Rohit

• 1. Re: how to convert the inDesign table to create outline object with table Rule
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@RohitRojal – the question here is: what is the *real* purpose for creating outlines here?

If you want outlines in an exported PDF (why at all?), do it with Transparency Flattening when using Export to PDF.
          Layout is maintained, all glyphs are rendered to paths.

See the following blog post to do it *right*:

http://indesignsecrets.com/converting-text-to-outlines-the-right-way-updated.php

However, if you have not InDesign CS4 installed, it could be a problem migrating a working "Transparency Flattening Preset" to InDesign CS5, CS5.5 and CS6. If you have installed CS4, make it work in CS4 and use the same preset file in the versions above. That should work. For InDesign CC all thiese prescriptions aren't tested yet…

Also possible: do the flattening in Acrobat Pro.

Uwe

• 2. Re: how to convert the inDesign table to create outline object with table Rule
            RohitRojal Level 1

Hi Laubender,

I use this for generating an ePub with the Crawler (a JavaScript tool). So when I create the ePub with Crawler the tables are not captured but if the table is made an object it supports the same. But the issue is that when I convert the table to create an object only text is converted to object but table borders are not converted to object.

Thanks,

Rohit Rojal

• 3. Re: how to convert the inDesign table to create outline object with table Rule
              morrisonandmorrison

This is quite an annoying issue that needs to be solved, I only use InDesign CC 2014 to design labels. I work with nutritional tables on labels and the printers always ask to convert and I cant, and often come across errors once printed.

HOWEVER I just figured out a temporary solution till adobe fixes the issue in InDesign.

Here's what you can do:

1. Copy your table into Illustrator
              2. Remove the text that only the table borders and fills stay behind
              3. Select all and copy it back to InDesign and align it with your table, group it and send to back
              4. Select your original table in InDesign, click ctrl **** O (Shortcut for outlines) the text will be converted but still leaves the original text box with the table behind it, delete this text box
              5. Group your table frame which you imported from illustrator with the text converted in indesign and you have a fully converted table in InDesign

Its quite a long way round, but its basically the only way to do it at this stage without having to redraw the entire thing.