6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2013 9:23 AM by A.T. Romano

mp4 codecs

drprasadvjoshi

how to import mp4 files in premiere elements 8

• 1. Re: mp4 codecs
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Version 8 will not work well at all with .mp4s.

If you're going to use .mp4s as your source video, you really should upgrade to version 11.

• 2. Re: mp4 codecs
            A.T. Romano Level 7

drprasadvjoshi

Have you gone the typical route of Get Media/Files and Folders to import the file into a Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 project for which you set a project preset that matched the properties of your source media?

If you have done that and cannot import your .mp4 file, please give full details of the problem including:

a. Computer operating system for your Premiere Elements 8 (are you running the 8.0.1 Update version, and do you have the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalzyer features turned Off?)

b. What are the properties of this .mp4 file that you want to import? The file extension .mp4 is just the file extension that represents the wrapper format that wraps the video and audio compression. So, we need to know video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate (interlaced or progressive), aspect ratio, duration among other things.

c. Are you getting any error messages assocated with any attempts to import this file into your project? Are you getting a green, white, or blank monitor screen once the file is on the Timeline and being viewed in the monitor?

d. Is this the type of problem "it worked before but not now" or "it never worked before"?

Please review and then we can decide what next if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: mp4 codecs
              A.T. Romano Level 7

drprasadvjoshi

It looks like SG's and my reply got posted at the exact same time.

As I said in my post, more information was needed to find out if you have a problem or were new to the program and did not know how to import media into it.

If you are encountering a problem with this .mp4 file, the information requested will be helpful. If this is an import failure issue, then you might want to rename just the file extension of the file before importing it into Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1. For example:

.mp4 to .mov

.mp4 to .avi

.mp4 to .mpg

We will await further information including whether you are storing your media in the Organizer and trying to import into Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 from there or whether you have saved your file to the computer hard drive and are trying to import it from the hard drive save location into Premiere Elements with Premiere Elements' Get Media/Files and Folders.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: mp4 codecs
                drprasadvjoshi Level 1

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Whenever I try to import mp4 files an error message flashes.. 'Required codecs not present'.

I tried to update the software but not able to do so.

I am running windows 8 professional

Thanks

• 5. Re: mp4 codecs
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you still using Premiere Elements 8?

As we've said, you will not likely be able to edit mp4 video successfully in version 8. You'll need to ideally upgrade to Premiere Elements 11 in order to edit this type of video.

• 6. Re: mp4 codecs
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

drprasadvjoshi

Your question right now seems not to be how well .mp4 works for editing in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 but rather how to get the .mp4 into the project in the first place.

I have looked at .mp4 files with H.264 or AVCHD, including HD video compression, in Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 running on Windows 7 64 bit as well as Windows 8 64 bit and am not experiencing any problems importing and editing those videos. On Windows 7 64 bit, the computer players are QuickTime (latest version), Windows Media Player, VLC, and CyberLink software that came with the Blu-ray DVD/CD burner.

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer? What players do you have installed on your computer?

But in all of the above, I do not see where you have answered all of SG's questions, most importantly, "What are the properties of your source media...such as video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, aspect ratio, etc. It could well be that you are dealing with some sort of proprietary codec. So, please supply that information for him.

Looking at the free 30 day try out of Premiere Elements 11 for your purposes is always an option. And, it could prove a good troubleshooting tool even if you decide not to purchase it and stay with your version 8.0/8.0.1.

Looking foward to that properties information for your .mp4 video that will not import.

MediaInfo can be used for a properties readout if you do not already know this information from your camera documentation and your settings.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Thanks.

ATR