21 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2013 7:01 AM by John Hall RSS

System manager error

John Hall Community Member

Not sure if this is fixed in the latest version of Flex framework but I'm just reporting that I got this error this morning. The SystemManager constructor was called when the currentFrame was at 2 Please add this SWF to bug 129782.

Full trace was:

Error: The SystemManager constructor was called when the currentFrame was at 2 Please add this SWF to bug 129782.

at mx.managers::SystemManager()

at _ApplicationUpdaterDialogs_mx_managers_SystemManager()

at flash.display::NativeWindow/_activate()

at flash.display::NativeWindow/activate()

at spark.components::WindowedApplication/enterFrameHandler()[E:\dev\4.y\frameworks\projects\ airspark\src\spark\components\WindowedApplication.as:2387]

• 1. Re: System manager error
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

What version are you running.  In theory this message was removed in Flex 4.1

• 2. Re: System manager error

Hi Alex. Using 4.6 build 23201 with AIR 3.7

• 3. Re: System manager error

Odd.  My copy of the sources does not include that error.  Maybe you are having a configuration problem?

• 4. Re: System manager error

That's interesting. Where would you look for a config issue? I often delete all metadata (to clean up a workspace). Other suggestions? config in program files folder?

• 5. Re: System manager error

How easy is it to reproduce?  Can you reproduce in the debugger?  If so, the source should match up, but my copy doesn't have that error in there.

You could also look at a link-report to see where it is pulling classes from.

-Alex

• 6. Re: System manager error

I tried tracking but, of course, I don't have the source files so I'm off to SouceForge to download those. I didn't see anything obvious in the link report, but then I likely wouldn't know what I'm looking for. It would be a huge help if it did it every time instead of every 4th or 5th time.

• 7. Re: System manager error

You're not using FlashBuilder?  It comes with the sources for SystemManager.as.

• 8. Re: System manager error

Yes, I'm using Flashbuilder. Lack of experience here! When it breaks, it says code is not available, though other framework files such as Window.as do debug. How should I compile it so it actually references the source code?

• 9. Re: System manager error

Would using the Mate framework possibly cause that? I BELIEVE it was compiled with 4.5.

• 10. Re: System manager error

Strange.  The source-attachments should be set up to point to the sdks folder in your FlashBuilder install.  Go to project properties/build paths/libraries and click on the triangles to see the source attachments settings for the various SWCs.

I'm thinking there is some monkey-patched systemmanager sitting around.  What does the link-report say about SystemManager?

• 11. Re: System manager error

Well, maybe, but even 4.5 shouldn't have that error.  Theoretically, all SWCs involved in a project must be compiled with the same SDK version as the app or else there could be trouble.

• 12. Re: System manager error

Thanks for the help, Alex. I linked the source files and when it errors out, it doesn't break in the 4.6 source files. It just says source unavailable, which implies to my unknowledgeable mind that there could be a SystemManager embedded within one of the swcs (just wild guessing, obviously). Now I'm going to learn how to compile library projects. When I try to compile the mate source files, I'm missing a step because it doesn't know what eventmaps are.

Could not resolve <Debugger> to a component implementation.

Could not resolve <EventMap> to a component implementation.

More reading and experimenting for me.

As far as the report.xml, it all seems linked to 4.6 to me.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17563/report.xml

• 13. Re: System manager error

The link report should have a <script name="… for SystemManager.  Post it and I'll look at it tomorrow.

• 14. Re: System manager error

BTW, when I twirl down the swc files for sources, they are all linked except the first one airglobal.swc. I guess I just gave up after looking at the first one.

These are the only two references to System manager that I can find at the root level of blocks in the report:

First occurence of mentioning "a system manager"

<script name="_DiamondScheduler_mx_managers_SystemManager.as" mod="1371766908229" size="4474" optimizedsize="3170">

<def id="_DiamondScheduler_mx_managers_SystemManager" />

<pre id="mx.core:IFlexModuleFactory" />

<pre id="mx.managers:SystemManager" />

<pre id="flashx.textLayout.compose:ISWFContext" />

<dep id="mx.preloaders:DownloadProgressBar" />

<dep id="flash.system:Security" />

<dep id="AS3" />

<dep id="mx.core:IFlexModule" />

<dep id="mx.events:RSLEvent" />

<dep id="flash.display:LoaderInfo" />

<dep id="flash.system:ApplicationDomain" />

<dep id="flash.utils:Dictionary" />

</script>

Second occurence

<script name="C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Flash Builder 4.6\sdks\4.6.0\frameworks\libs\framework.swc(mx.managers:SystemManager)" mod="1314730619987" size="36444" optimizedsize="20686">

<def id="mx.managers:SystemManager" />

<pre id="mx.core:IFlexModuleFactory" />

<pre id="mx.managers:ISystemManager" />

<pre id="mx.core:IChildList" />

<pre id="mx.core:IFlexDisplayObject" />

<pre id="flash.display:MovieClip" />

<dep id="flash.display:DisplayObjectContainer" />

<dep id="Math" />

<dep id="flash.display:LoaderInfo" />

<dep id="mx.core:IUIComponent" />

<dep id="flash.system:ApplicationDomain" />

<dep id="mx.events:SandboxMouseEvent" />

<dep id="mx.managers:SystemRawChildrenList" />

<dep id="flash.display:Graphics" />

<dep id="flash.text:TextFormat" />

<dep id="flash.events:TimerEvent" />

<dep id="mx.managers:SystemManagerGlobals" />

<dep id="flash.display:StageAlign" />

<dep id="flash.display:Sprite" />

<dep id="mx.utils:LoaderUtil" />

<dep id="mx.preloaders:Preloader" />

<dep id="flash.geom:Rectangle" />

<dep id="mx.events:RSLEvent" />

<dep id="flash.display:Loader" />

<dep id="flash.geom:Point" />

<dep id="mx.managers:SystemChildrenList" />

<dep id="flash.events:MouseEvent" />

<dep id="flash.text:Font" />

<dep id="flash.display:DisplayObject" />

<dep id="flash.display:Stage" />

<dep id="flash.events:Event" />

<dep id="flash.ui:Keyboard" />

<dep id="mx.events:DynamicEvent" />

<dep id="ArgumentError" />

<dep id="mx.core:IRawChildrenContainer" />

<dep id="flash.events:KeyboardEvent" />

<dep id="QName" />

<dep id="mx.core:mx_internal" />

<dep id="mx.core:FlexSprite" />

<dep id="flash.display:StageQuality" />

<dep id="mx.core:RSLItem" />

<dep id="flash.utils:getQualifiedClassName" />

<dep id="mx.events:Request" />

<dep id="mx.core:RSLData" />

<dep id="flash.events:EventPhase" />

<dep id="AS3" />

<dep id="__AS3__.vec:Vector" />

<dep id="mx.core:Singleton" />

<dep id="mx.utils:DensityUtil" />

<dep id="mx.events:FlexEvent" />

<dep id="flash.utils:Dictionary" />

<dep id="flash.display:StageScaleMode" />

<dep id="SecurityError" />

<dep id="mx.core:IInvalidating" />

<dep id="Error" />

<dep id="flash.utils:Timer" />

<dep id="flash.events:FocusEvent" />

<dep id="mx.managers:ISystemManagerChildManager" />

</script>

• 15. Re: System manager error

OK, the second one says that the correct SystemManager is being used in your app.  However, in my version of the source, that error message is not there.

Could you be loading any external SWFs that use an older version of Flex?

• 16. Re: System manager error

Ah, yes. I do see one. I used the old preloader.swf file from the previous version. At least I think it is. SWFDump says it's version 10 of Flash from 2011. I honestly can't open it but it's called loading.swf. I'll delete it. Likely the cause? And that would be great to see this error disappear!

• 17. Re: System manager error

Most people's preloader swfs don't have SystemManager in them, but maybe yours does?

• 18. Re: System manager error

You are correct. It was leftover when I experimented once with creating a sample loading preloader and it had simply stayed in the assets all that time without being purgedl It's only been an hour but so far, no faults.And since I created the swf when I was first learning. Thank you for your help, Alex.

• 19. Re: System manager error

Ah, re-read what you mentioned. I don't think I compiled it with SystemManger, but who knows, since that was two years ago. At least it looks like the correct version of SystemManager was being used and I deleted all my swf assets, since I didn't need them. So far, good, but one always waits. Since I don't want to harrass you, if it pops up again, your guess at what does/did have the competing System Manager would be some compiled asset such as a swf, right? What about the swc libraries in my libs folder? Are those candidates too? Thanks

• 20. Re: System manager error

Only SWFs (including SWF's pulled from SWCs and loaded as RSLs) are candidates to have SystemManager linked in and run.  Hopefully you know the full set of SWFs loadable by your SWF.  You can use the swfdump utility with the –abc option to dump every SWF and see if there is a SystemManager in it and further look for that error message in the output.

• 21. Re: System manager error

Thank you much for all your help. I've learned a lot along the way. John