11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2013 2:22 AM by Peter Spier

Book TOC wrong order?

Wes McQueen-Oliver

Greetings,

I've just created an InDesign book with each of its chapters being an InDesign document. Each chapter needs its own TOC and there is a separate chapter for the Main TOC. All works fine but for some reason, an entry in the Main TOC is listed as being on page 1 but yet falls after 3 other entries, one on page 1 and two on page 2. See below:

Table of contents

Before you begin

Getting started ......................................................................................... ........  1

Read-ahead control codes ...............................................................................  2

Read-ahead control for macros ........................................................................  2

Scope ......................................................................................... ....................  1

'Scope' is the first heading followed by 'Getting started' and so on. I've tried everything obvious but to no avail – can anyone shed any light? Bug?

Thanks,

Wes

• 1. Re: Book TOC wrong order?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Are you set to list in alphabetical order?  Looks suspiciouly alphabetetical there...

• 2. Re: Book TOC wrong order?
            Wes McQueen-Oliver Level 1

Thanks Peter. That was my first thought and no, box is definitely unchecked.

• 3. Re: Book TOC wrong order?

Usually when we see out-of-order listings they're on the same page at it's a positional thing (ID picks up entries reding top to bottom from left to right). If it isn't alphabetical I don't have a clue here without seeing the file.

• 4. Re: Book TOC wrong order?

The text and the text frames are threaded correctly, there is nothing complex about the layout. It must be a (another!) TOC bug

• 5. Re: Book TOC wrong order?

If the text is in different frames make sure the one you want listed first extends as far left as the second.

• 6. Re: Book TOC wrong order?

Thanks Peter, I'm afraid it's not that obvious. Have a look at the pics if you get chance and see what you think. Basically they are of the two pages the Main TOC is reading from and a snap of the Main TOC in the wrong order.

SInce opening the thread, I've tried scrapping and creating the paragraph styles and TOC styles again and am getting exactly the same. The most bizarre part is that the Main TOC and the Chapter TOCs all work exactly how they should elsewhere!

Obviously I can put it right manually but the problem is that I'm developing a template to be used company-wide so I need to get it right.

1.png2.pngTOC.png

• 7. Re: Book TOC wrong order?

So it's a problem in one chapter TOC in a book or longer document where all the others work correctly? All using the dame TOC Style? Sounds like something that might be amenable to a trip through .idml: Remove minor corruption by exporting

Also, if this is a "for print" or standard PDF output, the TOC levels assigned to the various paragraph styles are essentially superfluous, so try making everything level 1.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Book TOC wrong order?

Snaps are from the main TOC, each chapter TOC works fine. And of the main TOC, only the first chapter has the headings in the wrong order. I need the hierarchy for Heading 1 and Heading 2 to exist as Heading 2s are inset slightly (not shown above) in the TOC (corporate standard).

I'm convinced it's a bug so the next step is trying the remove corruption solution, I'll give it a whirl and report back. Thanks very much for all your help.

• 9. Re: Book TOC wrong order?

Insets are handled by the paragraph style you assign to the listing for each paragraph style you pick up (the "entry style" field), not the actual level assigned to the paragraph. Inthe first screen cap, the Chapter Head style is assigned Level 1. In the second I've made it Level 6, but left the paragraph style alone. No change to the generated TOC:

TOC Setup.png

TOC Setup2 (levels).png

The dialogs look a little different because the first screen cap was done a few years ago on my XP box, and the new one is on the current Win7 machine. Both are from CS4, but that doesn't affect how it works.

• 10. Re: Book TOC wrong order?

Thanks Peter,

Sorry, I misunderstood your previous message but I have created hundreds of TOC's so I understand how they work....or should work! Putting everything at level 1 makes no difference when I regenerate the TOC and using the fixing corruption via exporting function doesn't solve it either.

CS5 has known bugs with TOC's that although some say were fixed with 5.5, they are not with mine (i.e. exporting book as interactive PDF and bookmark anchors being all over the place). Those known bugs are often related to the the first chapter entry in the list so I can only assume this is the same. The fact that both the individual chapter TOC style and the Main TOC style are essentially the same thing apart from 'Include Book Documents' being checked, and that the individual chapter TOC in this case for 'Before you begin' is fine and the main TOC is not, would almost certainly indicate that this is a bug. For now I will manually correct it and then try to find ways to trick InDesign into putting them in the correct order when I get chance for the sake of the template.

• 11. Re: Book TOC wrong order?

Well, good luck. If it really is a bug, there's not a lot to be done other than make sure you have the latest patch for the version you are using in hopes it was addressed.