26 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2014 9:54 PM by Kyle Darkwelder RSS

Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch

3540media Community Member

I was very excited to try out the new CC apps, especially Premiere Pro, but it either crashes immediately on launch, or I get this error message.

'Adobe Premiere Pro could not find any capable video play modules. Please update your video display drivers and start again.'

I've updated my video drivers to the latest version, and this still happens.

I'm running

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit

Nvidia GTX 460, 320.18 driver

Intel Core i7-3770

32GB of RAM

I'm a very sad panda. I hope this gets resolved soon.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch

I am not running on a notebook computer, nor using AMD Switchable Graphics, so I tried the only applicable solution on that page (running as administrator) I still get the same error message. Thanks though.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch
            PierreLouisBeranek Community Member

The help file says: "This error can occur on notebook computers with AMD Switchable Graphics."

My laptop has an nVidia card, so that help file doesn't help in my case.

I can't get Premiere Pro CC to launch.  Here's a picture of the error message I get.

Error Message.jpg

Any other thoughts on how to solve this?

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch
              J. Simon Community Member

Despite option 3 specifying notebooks, it may still apply if your CPU has graphics on board.  Many Intel and AMD processors will include a GPU on the die, and even some motherboards will include on-board graphics, so you want to go into the BIOS to make sure they're turned off entirely, using only the separately installed graphics card.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch

Disable my Intel onboard graphics, ran as adminstrator, still get the same error. It seems to be crashing when it tries to load ImporterQuicktime.prm

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch
                  J. Simon Community Member

Try a forum search for that error message.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch

What is strange is that Premiere Pro CS6 launches just fine for me, it's the new CC version that crashes. Not sure what else to try besides what you have already suggested that didn't work.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch

It's the same situation for me.  PP CS6 works fine.  PP CC doesn't launch.  I'll try again on a freshly installed system when I have the time, but for now, I'll be doing my next project on CS6.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch
                        findwill Community Member

Me too. I've installed After Effects CC, Audition CC, Prelude CC, and Media Encoder CC and they all work fine. Premiere Pro CC crashes at the launch screen. I've now installed it twice to no avail. It's a bummer because that's the only program I really planned to use this week. Premiere Pro CS6 is working fine.I'm not getting the same error message though, I get "Adobe Premiere Pro CC has stopped working. Windows can check online for a solution to the problem." I dream of error codes, this error message doesn't help at all.

Windows 7, 64 bit

ASUS Zenbook

10GB Ram

Intel Core i7

GeForce GT 620M Graphics

(EDIT) I've updated my graphics driver, checked that I'm running on "High Performance", restarted my computer twice, and reinstalled a third time and that didn't help either.

Message was edited by: findwill

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch
                          findwill Community Member

I found the answer for me on another thread.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/cc-applications-crash-immediately- launch.html

Try to sign in and out of Creative Cloud. That was it for me. Stupid problem but now it all works. One thing to add that the link doesn't explain is that the "Sign out from creative cloud" button in the cloud app is greyed out until you close out your browser (if you are logged in to Adobe). As soon as I closed the browser the button became active and I could log out.

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch

Unfortunately none of the proposed solutions has worked for me. It has to have something to do with ImporterQuicktime.prm because that is what is loading everytime it crashes.

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch
                              MontrealFitz

Try a rightclick on the launch icon and troubleshoot compatiability. I lied and said it worked on Vista so it attempted to open via those drivers etc and viola! It worked. Saved settings and will reopen fine.

So far.

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch

That worked! Thanks!

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch

Awesome, worked for me too!  Thanks for sharing 3540media!

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch
                                    Joseph Labrecque ACP

I'm seeing a similar issue with Premiere Pro CC on 64-bit Windows 8 with Radeon 3400. Complete crash upon launch (at splash screen).

7-11-2013 8-03-41 PM.png

Have tried a number of things as suggested in these forums:

• sign out / sign in to Creative Cloud
                                    • uninstall / reinstall Premiere Pro CC
                                    • Update Radeon drivers to latest beta
                                    • Update Intel drivers
                                    • troubleshoot compatibility

Nothing works for me. Runs fine on my other machines... Help!

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch
                                      Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

Joseph, have you tried clearing app prefs? You can do so manually by deleting the prefs file from My Documents/Adobe/Premiere Pro/CC/7.0/Profile-, or automatically by holding Shift-Alt while launching.  Are you launching from the main app icon or by double-clicking a project file?

• 17. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch
                                        Joseph Labrecque ACP

Hi Mark. I did delete the prefs before but just tried to delete again and did the SHIFT+ALT trick as well. Nothing has improved, sadly. Thanks for the suggestion.

Is there possibly a crash log someplace which gets generated?

• 18. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch

I believe this is the path to the log files: \Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp. (I'm not as certain as I should be because I have shortcuts to the location on my test systems.)

You didn't answer re: how exactly you are launching.

Also, do you have any third-party codecs or plugins installed? I seem to recall that we've had cases where a new version had trouble launching when certain third party software was around from an earlier version.

And one other thing: is PPRO installed to the default location?

• 19. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch
                                            Joseph Labrecque ACP

Ah, apologies, Mark - I was opening straight up without a project file.

I don't see anything useful in terms of log files in there. Ah well- perhaps it crashes before it even writes anything.

I have Camtasia Studio running on the machine - but I have it on the other machines where it does work as well so I doubt that could be the problem.

Yes, it is installed at the default location.

Appreciate your help!

• 20. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch

Well, I've exhausted my arsenal. Sorry I couldn't help. It might be time to dial up Adobe Support. If you go that route and come up with a solution, please post back here.

• 21. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch
                                                Joseph Labrecque ACP

Interesting. If I disable my video card and launch Premiere - it launches fine. I can then re-enable the video card with Premiere running and then go about my work just fine. However... if I close and then restart Premiere I see it crash as before.

Had my video card wrong too - 3600 series.

• 22. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch
                                                  Joseph Labrecque ACP

Here is something. If I open Media Encoder I get this:

Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (The thread attempted to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.)

Process: Adobe Media Encoder.exe

Process ID: 1532

Thread ID: 12880

Thread Name: Main Thread

File: ..\..\Src\AcceleratedRendererModule.cpp

Line: 185

Function: ML::AcceleratedRendererModule::CallAcceleratedRendererModule

Debug Assert failed!

Hit Debug to see where the exception occurred.

Expression: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (The thread attempted to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.)

Process: Adobe Media Encoder.exe

Process ID: 1532

Thread ID: 12880

Thread Name: Main Thread

File: ..\..\Src\AcceleratedRendererModule.cpp

Line: 185

Function: ML::AcceleratedRendererModule::CallAcceleratedRendererModule

-------------- StackTrace --------------

dvacore::debug::BreakAfterAssertDialog

dvacore::utility::exceptions::InternalHiddenFilterWindowsSEHException

ML::InitiateRender

_C_specific_handler

RtlLookupFunctionEntry

DbgPrint

KiUserExceptionDispatcher

??? <8765875826279>

??? <8765875753922>

??? <8765875473880>

??? <8765875473995>

clGetSamplerInfo

clGetSamplerInfo

clGetSamplerInfo

clGetSamplerInfo

clGetSamplerInfo

clGetSamplerInfo

clGetSamplerInfo

clGetSamplerInfo

clGetSamplerInfo

clIcdGetPlatformIDsKHR

??? <8766600122536>

clGetExtensionFunctionAddress

??? <8766600122396>

clGetPlatformIDs

GF::Initialize

DS::Initialize

xRendererEntry

ML::CreateAcceleratedRenderer

ML::IAcceleratedRendererModule::GetModules

ML::IsCurrentlyValidAcceleratedRenderer

ML::AddPluginFormatsToBlacklist

ML::LoadPlugins

ML::PluginSupport::LoadAllPlugins

??? <4272499>

??? <4282348>

ScriptLayer::ScriptObject::`default constructor closure'

exo::app::AppBase::Initialize

??? <4203097>

BaseThreadInitThunk

RtlUserThreadStart

A low-level exception occurred in:  (AcceleratedRenderer)

Exception Occurred!

A low-level exception occurred in:  (AcceleratedRenderer)

-------------- StackTrace --------------

ML::CreateAcceleratedRenderer

ML::IAcceleratedRendererModule::GetModules

ML::IsCurrentlyValidAcceleratedRenderer

ML::LoadPlugins

ML::PluginSupport::LoadAllPlugins

??? <4272499>

??? <4282348>

exo::app::AppBase::Initialize

??? <4203097>

BaseThreadInitThunk

RtlUserThreadStart

• 23. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch
                                                    mayhornGuy Community Member

If all else fails,

Try uninstalling your latest app.

Control Panel - Uninstall - your latest installed program.

or if system was running ok before...

Try system restoring to your latest known good working restore point,

however you are likely to lose your latest installed updates or application.

good luck

• 24. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch
                                                      LiteSwitchTV

I have had almost exactly the same issue - I even got tot the point of re formatting my HD too. Seriously frustrating.

I have a Samsung Chronos 7 i7 NoteBook.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 - 2675QM CPU @2.20GHz

8GB RAM

64 bit Operating system

Windows 7.

My drivers are updated for: Intel / AMD Grpahics cards

Java Updated and installed.

SW Updated - Up to date

All windows updates installed.

Quicktime 7.7.4  Pro Installed.

Google Chrome Web Browser.

I was told by an Adobe Tech that the issue lies with the Intel and AMD cards conflicting. That Prem Pro CC only wants to use the AMD card but the Intel is being used first. Having spoken to Samsung techs they say that outside of using 'Catalyst Control Center' (which has aslo been updated) there's no way of doing that. : I

PLEASE someone say there's a solution to all this. Prem pro is my primary source of income as a freelancer. Plus I've spent over 7 hours on the phone to both Samsung and Adobe and my head is about to melt.

• 25. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch
                                                        Kyle Darkwelder Community Member

I've been having this exact same issue... Tried everything above this and nothing worked.

I just saw in cloud that there is a new update for the program that fixes "bugs." Let's see if that fixes it...

Edit:

Wait, no, misread. Fixes audio drop outs instead. D'oh.

• 26. Re: Premiere Pro CC crashes on on launch
                                                          Kyle Darkwelder Community Member

I've tried uninstalling, running the cleaner (wich also didn't work), reinstalling and to no avail. [This was actually to fix a completely seperate issue, wich led to this worse one...[

Currently running a Geforce 6150se Nforce 430 Graphics drive. This wasn't happening until mid-today.]

I've tried every idea on the web for fixing this and none seem to work... In fact, I have been frustrated to learn that almost every other version of Premiere and every other computer in the world but mine has an easy way out of this. Nothing has worked. ;___(