25 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2013 3:10 AM by Salih Aydin RSS

Photoshop CC OpenCL

mnordine Community Member

OpenCL doesn't seem to work for me. I have it checked in prefs, have the latest drivers, and a GeForce GTX 660M. Yet when I run an iris blur filter, it's extremely slow, and only uses 1 CPU. Under System Info, it lists the video card and OpenCL 1.1. Anyone else having the same problem?

• 1. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL
          Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Generally this means that you need to update your video card driver from the GPU maker's website.

Also, what OS version?

And are you using 32 bit or the 64 bit version of Photoshop?

• 2. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL

I have the latest driver from Nvidia (320.18) and am using 64-bit on Windows 7

• 3. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL
              Adam Jerugim Adobe Employee

Can you do us a favor and post your system info (PS Help > System Info...) to this thread?  We only would like to see the information leading up to the scratch disc data in that report.

Thanks,

Adam

• 4. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL

Of course, anything to help get this issue resolved:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 14.0 (14.0 20130423.r.221 2013/04/23:23:00:00) x64

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit

Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:10, Stepping:9 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, HyperThreading

Physical processor count: 4

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 2294 MHz

Built-in memory: 16281 MB

Free memory: 10479 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 14624 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 60 %

Image tile size: 1024K

Image cache levels: 4

OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.

OpenGL Drawing Mode: Advanced

OpenGL Allow Normal Mode: True.

OpenGL Allow Advanced Mode: True.

OpenGL Allow Old GPUs: Not Detected.

OpenCL Version: 1.1 CUDA 4.2.1

OpenGL Version: 3.0

Video Rect Texture Size: 16384

OpenGL Memory: 2047 MB

Video Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

Video Card Renderer: GeForce GTX 660M/PCIe/SSE2

Display: 2

Display Bounds: top=30, left=-1680, bottom=1080, right=0

Display: 1

Display Bounds: top=0, left=0, bottom=1080, right=1920

Video Card Number: 2

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

Driver Version: 9.18.13.2018

Driver Date: 20130512000000.000000-000

Video Card Driver: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um

Video Mode: 1920 x 1080 x 4294967296 colors

Video Card Caption: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

Video Card Memory: 2048 MB

Video Card Number: 1

Video Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Driver Version: 9.18.10.3071

Driver Date: 20130319000000.000000-000

Video Card Driver: igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32

Video Mode:

Video Card Caption: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Video Card Memory: 2112 MB

Serial number: 90970589534729830959

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC (64 Bit)\

• 5. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL

Thanks for posting your system info - the GPU should support OCL.  Can you do me a favor and go to Edit > Preferences > Performance... and click on the Advanced Settings button under Graphic Processor Settings?  There's a checkbox in those preferences that allows you to enable/disable OpenCL.  Is it enabled on your machine?  If not, can you enable it or is it greyed-out?

My guess is that the system is using the Intel HD 4000 instead of the GeForce 660M as the primary GPU.  If you can force it to use the nVidia gpu full time, I suspect that OCL will work for PS.

• 6. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL

Yes Adam, the "Use OpenCL" checkbox is on. It is not greyed out. I also made sure PS was using the NVIDIA GPU. On my machine, I use the NVIDIA Control Panel to do this. I also tried right-clicking photoshop.exe, and selecting "Run with graphics processor->High-performance NVIDIA processor (default). Note that I have no problems with any other programs using these methods.

• 7. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL

Also, it lists the NVIDIA processor under "Detected Graphics Processor" in Prefs->Performance:

NVIDIA Corporation

GeForce GTX 660M/PCIe/SSE2

• 8. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL

There's also a "Turbo" led that lights up whenever the discrete gpu is in use. It lights up when I launch PS. There's also a utility I have that lists the programs currently using the discrete GPU. PS is listed there as well. I'm not using any other programs that use the discrete GPU either.

• 9. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL

If OCL is enabled in preferences then it should be in use.  My guess is the poor performance is due to the fact that both GPUs are being recognized by PS.  Have you tried disabling OCL and comparing how long it takes to do that same blur on the same image with it enabled vs disabled?  You can re-run the filter with the same settings by using cntrl-F.

Is there a way for you to disable the HD 4000 gpu?

• 10. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL
                            Dave Rosser Community Member

I think Adam is asking you to turn off the motherboard graphics completely in the computer BIOS.

• 11. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL

Shouldn't the application detect both GPUs and use the most able one? I just tried disabling OCL and the filter performed much better, and used multiple cores (Task Manager showed CPU usage at ~65% when adjusting Field blur size).

I don't think there's any way to disable the HD 4000. I think I looked in the BIOS before, but I'm going to try right now.

• 12. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL

I just looked in the BIOS and there's no way to disable the integrated graphics.

• 13. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL

You should be able to use Device Manager to temporarily disable the GPU.

• 14. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL

Where do you have your monitors plugged in? Could try having nothing plugged in the motherboard video ports and all monitors (if you have more than one) plugged in the graphics card.

I am surprised you can't switch on board graphics off in BIOS, what motherboard do you have? You don't have one of those crippled BIOS some of the big box shifters install do you?

• 15. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL

Disabled intel graphics via control panel. Now have black screen. Even attempting to boot into safe mode does not help.

• 16. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL

Was able to get into safe mode and re-enable intel graphics. Dave, this is the laptop I have - http://ca.msi.com/product/nb/GE70-0ND-032US.html#?div=Specification

I have just tried using PS with just the laptop monitor, same results. I guess I do have a "crippled" BIOS.

• 17. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL

Ah sorry I may have confused you, I had assumed you had a desktop machine not a laptop.

• 18. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL

No worries, I had assumed that's what you were thinking after reading your post.

• 19. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL

Should I file a bug on this? Where's the proper place to do that?

• 20. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL
                                                Chris Cox Adobe Employee

For Photoshop, this is the right place.

Though it still sounds like you have some sort of driver or BIOS level problem causing OpenCL to be disabled or perform poorly (which it would on the Intel GPU).

• 21. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL

Hi Chris, OpenCL seems to run fine using NVIDIA GPU on a lot of other software I've tried. For example, all the samples here - https://developer.nvidia.com/opencl

It even works with WebCL - http://webcl.nokiaresearch.com/

The samples are able to enumerate both devices no problem, and you can switch with a drop-down box which OpenCL device you'd like to use.

• 22. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL

PS reports that its picking up the NVIDIA GPU

capture_001_19062013_161522.png

capture_002_19062013_161545.png

• 23. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL
                                                      Chris Cox Adobe Employee

Then you're back to driver problems, and you need to talk to NVidia.

• 24. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL
                                                        Catava

My "OpenCL" check box is greyed out. Also when i go to the 3D tab all the options are greyed out as well. What should I do?

• 25. Re: Photoshop CC OpenCL
                                                          Salih Aydin

I read the comments and i think you are using a MSI GE60 right? It has a GPU boost problem. So MSI published an update for this. Go MSI's website and find your product. It should be like this: http://www.msi.com/product/nb/GE60-0ND.html#/?div=BIOS&nbos=Win8 64 Read the description and update your BIOS. I hope it will help!